Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Chris is the only poster in this thread that speaks as if he has seen the same Charleston I've lived in for the past 60 years. Charleston is not full of Ghetto neighborhoods, although there are bad parts of town. Bad areas relocate every ten or twenty years. Right now I'm glad I don't live on the flat part of the West Side. Before Town Center was build, the Triangle District was considered the bad part of town. The East End is getting much better recently.

Generally, without researching statistics, it seems like Charleston has a lot of crime. The 6:00 news is full of crime stories; more so that some other places I know. That's just the sense I get of it, not an official statistics. Since the newscasts cover both cities, it gives us a chance to see that the city of Huntington seems to have fewer crime stories to report than Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I say this from experience, while your argument is clearly just bias. Having lived in big cities Morgantown is much more like an urban city than Charleston. Charleston has around 50,000 people in 30 square miles while Morgantown has around 31,000 plus 15,000 thousand students in a 10 square mile area. You could argue that Charleston has areas that are empty that lower the average density, but so does Morgantown. Hell the WV farm is around 2 square miles of Morgantown's ten miles that are completely empty.

For the metro area Charleston has a geographically bigger metro area. If Morgantown had the same area Charleston had Charleston wouldnt be much bigger.

You could argue that Charleston has more total population than Morgantown, BUT there is no way you could say it is more dense. It just isnt true. Morgantown has suburbs more dense, crowded, and urban than most of Charleston.

Downtown Charleston is like a ghost town during non-working areas. It is not dense. It feels empty and dead. The skyline is not impressive. The architecture is ugly. There is nothing to do. It does have its ghettos. A city can be rural and ghetto. Charleston has some infamous trailer ghetto areas.

Earlier I said I couldnt compare Charleston to any cities. Ive never lived in a city like Charleston but it reminds me of Wheeling or Cumberland Maryland. You can tell at some point in the past all these cities were thriving, but now they feel empty and sad. There time has moved on.

Morgantown is a small city, but luckily it has a small town college atmosphere feeling to it. That is why the quality of life is so high in Morgantown and it has a big award cabinet from prestigious publications testifying to how great it is, while Charleston's award cabinet is empty and full of spiderwebs.

Despite being a small college city it is more dense and urban than Charleston. You are not convincing anyone otherwise Chris. You could argue that Charleston is a good place to live, and its non-dense nature makes it better than the overcrowded Morgantown, but there is no way you can argue Charleston is more dense than Morgantown. You might as well argue that Charleston is more dense than NYC, Paris, or Manilla.
Dence, ok so we have 31sq miles to morgantown's 10, but we have alot of dead space (almost a 3rd). And Charleston is way more "urban" than Morgantown. Morgantown is just like a small town with a serious traffic problem, while Charleston is a designed city that looks and feels like a city. Every part of the valley is urban, and no matter how much you hink it isn't, it is!

And you said that Morgantown's suburbs are more dence than Charleston? Are you kidding? For one, Morgantown doesn't have true suburbs like a traditional city, but more like towns that had to play the role. Charleston has both towns/cities and traditional suburbs that are considered part of the Charleston area. And I wouldn't say Star City and Westover are more dence than Charleston. I wouldn't even say that they are more dence than South Charleston, Dunbar, Saint Albans, or Cross Lanes.

Back to other topics, Our architecture is not ugly. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, Charleston has some of the most beautiful structures of its time. One being the Capitol itself. We have 51 buildings labeled in the National Register for Historical Places. With that being, said the whole East End of Charleston is a showcase to architecture as early as the 1700s. Capital St. has some of the more detailed structures of them all, with outstanding buildings like the Kanawha Valley Building, security Building, and Kanawha County Library.

Downtown is very alive during the day, and really all the way up until 8. But as I said earlier, we are not party people. We like to sleep, because we work hard, and are family oriented. Morgantown has too much late night sin for my life.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Also yo said Charleston has "trailer ghettos", where can I find these? Not saying trailers are bad, but last time I checked beside Mylan you can find all the trailers you could ever dream about, plus beside the stadium there is a big trailer park. And let us not forget all the tan apatrment buildings that are just as ghetto as a hood!

‪West Virginia University - Trailer Park (WTF)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Dence, ok so we have 31sq miles to morgantown's 10, but we have alot of dead space (almost a 3rd). And Charleston is way more "urban" than Morgantown. Morgantown is just like a small town with a serious traffic problem, while Charleston is a designed city that looks and feels like a city. Every part of the valley is urban, and no matter how much you hink it isn't, it is!

And you said that Morgantown's suburbs are more dence than Charleston? Are you kidding? For one, Morgantown doesn't have true suburbs like a traditional city, but more like towns that had to play the role. Charleston has both towns/cities and traditional suburbs that are considered part of the Charleston area. And I wouldn't say Star City and Westover are more dence than Charleston. I wouldn't even say that they are more dence than South Charleston, Dunbar, Saint Albans, or Cross Lanes.

Back to other topics, Our architecture is not ugly. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, Charleston has some of the most beautiful structures of its time. One being the Capitol itself. We have 51 buildings labeled in the National Register for Historical Places. With that being, said the whole East End of Charleston is a showcase to architecture as early as the 1700s. Capital St. has some of the more detailed structures of them all, with outstanding buildings like the Kanawha Valley Building, security Building, and Kanawha County Library.

Downtown is very alive during the day, and really all the way up until 8. But as I said earlier, we are not party people. We like to sleep, because we work hard, and are family oriented. Morgantown has too much late night sin for my life.
You are right in that they are more like towns than true suburbs, or they are more like parts of Morgantown than seperate entities. Still more dense than Charleston. Im sure there are some nice buildings in Charleston I just never see them.

The problem with Morgantown is it is a crowded mess. There is no zoning and development springs up everywhere. It is dense and crowded development, but it is making Morgantown feel more like a sunbelt city than a NE city. Part of this is due to lack of funding from Charleston, but some of the blame is due to lack of zoning laws.

Charleston would feel more urban if it had more people in it. It just seems empty past 8pm or on the weekends. Last time I was in Charleston I was driving out from Huntington and the interstate was empty, except for 1 or 2 other cars. Im looking at downtown Charleston and the urban core and didnt see one person out.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You are right in that they are more like towns than true suburbs, or they are more like parts of Morgantown than seperate entities. Still more dense than Charleston. Im sure there are some nice buildings in Charleston I just never see them.

The problem with Morgantown is it is a crowded mess. There is no zoning and development springs up everywhere. It is dense and crowded development, but it is making Morgantown feel more like a sunbelt city than a NE city. Part of this is due to lack of funding from Charleston, but some of the blame is due to lack of zoning laws.

Charleston would feel more urban if it had more people in it. It just seems empty past 8pm or on the weekends. Last time I was in Charleston I was driving out from Huntington and the interstate was empty, except for 1 or 2 other cars. Im looking at downtown Charleston and the urban core and didnt see one person out.
You do know that the I-64 corridoe that you were on is the most traveled highway in WV. You probably missed Rush hour which is bumper to bumper on 6 and 8 lanes of traffic. Downtown is always full from 7am-6pm and the people are always walking around and eating outside. I'd say you were there and just didn't notice, but doubt there was only a couple of cars on I-64.

I would disagree that Mtown feels more like a sunbelt city rather a NE city. I think it is just the opposite. The growth reflects the sunbelt, but everything else is more like an upstate NY town, or a Northeastern PA city.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/3.gif (broken link)

NOTE:

In case anyone has forgotten what the topic actually is in this thread (and several have) - please read the FIRST post on page one and please try to address the OP's iquiry.

Thank you

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM

415 posts, read 802,022 times
removed - has nothing to do with topic.

Some places will look past bad credit if you are willing to pay more on your deposit or pay several months in advance.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston