Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Most of Charleston is tree lined middle class neighborhoods! Only 2 real ghettos are in Charleston and both are slowly growing out of that phase! Charleston has the wealthist areas in WV, including South Hills, Lower East End, and Kanawha City's upper end!

Sunnyside has all the crime you can fit in one area, I don't have to name another because Sunnyside is the biggest dump in any WV city! For one it stinks, two the houses are torn apart and trashy, and third the stupid college students that live there bring crime drugs and worse into that neigborhood! Westover isn't the most beautiful place either, enough for me to classify it as a ghetto! Another might be right beside the stadium where you can see trailers and ugly apartments all scattered on the hillside! You know its bad when there is a trailer park right beside the stadium!
Crime in Morgantown? LOL. There is some, but the rate is much less than Charleston. Sunnyside has some petty theft, noise issues, and couches burned in the street. Wow, what a terrible place. Beats the murders, rapes, muggings, home invasions, assaults, and hate crimes of Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Crime in Morgantown? LOL. There is some, but the rate is much less than Charleston. Sunnyside has some petty theft, noise issues, and couches burned in the street. Wow, what a terrible place. Beats the murders, rapes, muggings, home invasions, assaults, and hate crimes of Charleston.
Morgantown has plenty of murder, rape, muggings, assaults, and other crimes! Sunndyside gives both Morgantown and WVU a really bad name! I think you like the title America's #1 Party school a little too much! The ranking only makes a WVU education look that more bad off!

Charleston's crime rate is still below the average for a city in its position! In fact, I'd say all of Charleston is safer than Grant Ave. in Sunnyside! I've been to sunnyside with my WVU friends, and lets just say I'll never go back!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Morgantown has plenty of murder, rape, muggings, assaults, and other crimes! Sunndyside gives both Morgantown and WVU a really bad name! I think you like the title America's #1 Party school a little too much! The ranking only makes a WVU education look that more bad off!

Charleston's crime rate is still below the average for a city in its position! In fact, I'd say all of Charleston is safer than Grant Ave. in Sunnyside! I've been to sunnyside with my WVU friends, and lets just say I'll never go back!
You are big on statistics, but then claim this. Why dont you show that Morgantown is above average in these crimes, or at least worst than Charleston?

Im sure you did look. You just didnt like what you found. WV is below average when it comes to crime. So Charleston isnt bad compared to say Detroit or Baltimore, but for WV Charleston is a crime haven.

Morgantown not so much. Unless you count underage drinking and students smoking weed. Id take that anyday to getting robbed at gunpoint by a meth addict in Charleston.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You are big on statistics, but then claim this. Why dont you show that Morgantown is above average in these crimes, or at least worst than Charleston?

Im sure you did look. You just didnt like what you found. WV is below average when it comes to crime. So Charleston isnt bad compared to say Detroit or Baltimore, but for WV Charleston is a crime haven.

Morgantown not so much. Unless you count underage drinking and students smoking weed. Id take that anyday to getting robbed at gunpoint by a meth addict in Charleston.
I never said Morgantown was above average! But it does have crime, and you act like Charleston lives and breaths off of it! Sure Charleston has more crime then most of WV! We're a city, and the largest place in the whole state! Lil old Sutton or Davis doesn't have crime because there is nobody there! Your logic is again proven wrong!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I never said Morgantown was above average! But it does have crime, and you act like Charleston lives and breaths off of it! Sure Charleston has more crime then most of WV! We're a city, and the largest place in the whole state! Lil old Sutton or Davis doesn't have crime because there is nobody there! Your logic is again proven wrong!
So we both agree that Charleston has higher crime than Morgantown and is a high crime city for WV. Good, discussion over.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So we both agree that Charleston has higher crime than Morgantown and is a high crime city for WV. Good, discussion over.
Yes, but what we don't agree on is that Charleston doesn't have a bad crime rate in comparison! We're a city, so it comes with the title!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, but what we don't agree on is that Charleston doesn't have a bad crime rate in comparison! We're a city, so it comes with the title!
I guess it is a small city. Feels more like a large town.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I guess it is a small city. Feels more like a large town.
towns with skylines, dence neighborhoods, and the traffic Charleston have don't feel like big towns!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Chris, there are actually many more people living in Morgantown most of the year (the 9 1/2 months school is in session). It has nothing to do with the size of the towns. It has to do with the characteristics. The towns have different types of populations. Ours is perhaps rowdier... we have a lot of young folks here, but Charleston has more of a ghetto area, which tends to have higher violent and property crime rates. Not trying to start anything here, but those differences are obvious.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
towns with skylines, dence neighborhoods, and the traffic Charleston have don't feel like big towns!
Charleston is not dense. It has around 1500 people per square mile: Charleston, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That is more small town than city. Also I wouldnt say Charleston has a skyline. It has a few medium sized buildings. I guess for WV it is good, but gets blown away by an actual City.

Morgantown is 3x more dense than Charleston: Morgantown, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that is not including the students. Sure you could argue since they arent residents they shouldnt count, but when they are there there are certainly more people per square mile. I would say in the summer Morgantown is 4.5 more dense than Charleston, but during the regular semester it is probably 6x more dense than Charleston. I admit it doesnt have much of a skyline, but downtown is nice, and the waterfront blows anything in Charleston away.

Point being Charleston is technically city, but it doesnt feel like one. It is not urban and doesnt have an impressive skyline. That doesnt mean it is a bad place to live. Some people would prefer the not dense big town atmosphere of Charleston to the hustle and bustle of a real city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston