Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,694,702 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am so glad I found this forum!
My family is relocating to the area at the end of the month, and we have decided to live in Mount Pleasant and let my husband commute to North Charleston, primarily because we are moving our kids out of WONDERFUL schools, so we want equally wonderful schools in our new home, and Mount Pleasant seems to fit the bill.
I have one child who will be a Freshman at Wando, and one who will be in 8th grade. We will be staying in the Residence Inn for a few months once we arrive, and I believe that puts us in Laing Middle School's territory. I really don't want to move him to another school once we find a place, since we'll be pretty dependent on school busses for a while once we arrive. My problem is I can't find a zone map anywhere on the internet that will help me house hunt within Laing's area, and apparently the school can't help me either. Does anyone know what neighborhoods fall into Laing's territory?
Also, I noticed that Laing's test scores were quite a bit lower than the other public middle schools in Mount Pleasant. Does anyone have any concerns about Laing? I know I've written a book here, but this is a huge move for us, and I have to focus my anxiety on something or I'll be all over the place!

Thanks so much,,

Roxanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,792,974 times
Here is a link to school zoning for Mt. Pleasant. (http://www.ccsdschools.com/Our_Schools/lookup/EastZoneMSInset.php - broken link) You can drill in close and see the school zones down to street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am so glad I found this forum!
My family is relocating to the area at the end of the month, and we have decided to live in Mount Pleasant and let my husband commute to North Charleston, primarily because we are moving our kids out of WONDERFUL schools, so we want equally wonderful schools in our new home, and Mount Pleasant seems to fit the bill.
I have one child who will be a Freshman at Wando, and one who will be in 8th grade. We will be staying in the Residence Inn for a few months once we arrive, and I believe that puts us in Laing Middle School's territory. I really don't want to move him to another school once we find a place, since we'll be pretty dependent on school busses for a while once we arrive. My problem is I can't find a zone map anywhere on the internet that will help me house hunt within Laing's area, and apparently the school can't help me either. Does anyone know what neighborhoods fall into Laing's territory?
Also, I noticed that Laing's test scores were quite a bit lower than the other public middle schools in Mount Pleasant. Does anyone have any concerns about Laing? I know I've written a book here, but this is a huge move for us, and I have to focus my anxiety on something or I'll be all over the place!

Thanks so much,,

Roxanne

Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,055,094 times
Here's Laing's map, in brown.

http://www.ccsdschools.com/Our_Schools/lookup/images/MS/LaingMS550.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 PM

18 posts, read 68,361 times
We are moving down from Seattle too. I will actually be at the residence inn this Thursday. The family is coming down after school is out. We bought a house in the Legend Oaks sub d. Heard the schools are good in the Dorchester 2 district and we liked the Summerville area. Mount Pleasent looked nice too though. The shippers come next Monday and my cars should be there Monday too. Looking forward to the move. Good luck! Might see you all at the Residence Inn?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks so much for the responses, those maps really help.!

To Marinerfan: we considered Summerville also, but my husband and I both grew up on Southern California beaches, so when the opportunity presented itself to get back to the beach (well, a WARM beach anyway) we just had to jump on it. We won't be buying a house any time soon, since we are not even going to try to sell our Lake Stevens home until the market improves, so we may be in the hotel for quite some time while we look for a rental we can live with. We've been approved for up to three months at the Marriott RI, but we REALLY hope to be out of ere much earlier. We will be staying in the Mount Pleasant Residence Inn, arriving the beginning of July. Last summer we stayed in the Residence Inn by the airport for a month, and that was nice. The North Charleston RI was full of bugs, and we had them move us to the airport location. Which one are you staying in?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Wow, I noticed after I hit send that you were in Lake Stevens too. That's kind of crazy, huh? Just a heads up if you haven't found out already, but the Lake Stevens School District is very slow to respond to school record checks. I need detailed transcripts for my son going into 9th grade because three of his Cavelero classes this year were high school credit classes, and getting the info transferred on to Wando High has been difficult at best.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 68,361 times
Roxanneself, I am at the RI by the airport for about two months. It's not bad, my wife and daughter will be down after school is out. My daughter goes to Pilchuck and we already have got her transcripts, probably a little easier due to elementary school?. We sold our home in LS after two days on the Market, I think we got lucky? I bought it almost 15 years ago so we were set up pretty good, we actually closed 6/2, we are a 3rd and 4th gen Lake Stevens family. . We have already put an offer on the home here and are expected to close by the end og June? We want to paint a few rooms and probably install new carpet while we can. Much easier to get done with no furniture in the house. I hope to be in there by mid July. Mt. P is nice but there seems to be a lot of nice placess down here. We thought about the area too but I figured I still had to drive to the beach so it really didn't matter if it was a 5 or 25 min drive. Who knows, we may decide to move closer in a couple years? I am with the Boeing IT Network.

We'll if you all come to the RI by the airport I am sure we will cross paths? If you have any questions or there is something I can assist you with please let me know. I will send you a message with my Boeing email add.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM

We had the same thoughts as you, regarding the distances to the beach. Being closer to North Charleston probably would have been more logical, since eventually I'll be wanting to look for work also, and I don't picture a lot of work for Inventory Managers in Mount Pleasant.
When we originally settled on Mount Pleasant we didn't know we would be in corporate housing for so long, and we anticipated having to choose a place long distance. From our last visit to South Carolina we knew that while both MP and Summerville are very nice, Summerville had some not so nice areas too, where we felt we'd be pretty safe choosing a neighborhood online in MP.
The final straw for us though is Wando High. My 14 year old is a pretty advanced student, and the AP program at Wando, (especially for tech geeks like my boy, no offense intended, of course) is pretty sensational.
I am concerned at how small houses are in MP compared to what we're in now, but maybe cozy is just what we need!

We stayed in the airport RI last summer, and we really liked that hotel, although the hot tub was way too chilly. Not really a deal breaker in mid-summer!

Last edited by roxanneself; 06-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Fat finger typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area