Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,572 times

Advertisements

Charleston and Mount Pleasant are the most hostile places to walkers and cyclists that I have ever known. If there is no sidewalk (most places) and you dare walk on the road, even if you are very safe about it - expect a lot of honking. If you cycle it's almost suicidal. Tonight they announced he will be banning cyclists from the James Island connector, which will be a problem if your bike can't swim.

Reason: Last summer yet another cyclist was killed by a homicidal driver. The driver got a minor ticket, the cyclist is dead, and now bikes are about to be banned, until a bike route is made, currently expected on Feb. 30th, 2834

Lowering the speed limit on the JI connector - No.
Enforcing traffic laws on drivers who do not share the road - No

They Ban Bikes.

Honestly, if you cycle or walk much, DO NOT MOVE HERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,970 times
First off Homicide implies intent to kill, it was a traffic accident....

I think someone needs to get their little biker shorts one size bigger...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM

482 posts, read 846,959 times
I am suprised I see many bikers on Rifle Range, seems like suicide to me.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,810,936 times
I walk and ride a bike, but what's a ro cycle?

BTW the James Island connector is essentially a freeway. A place that bikes are banned on in every other state I've lived in.

If they really wanted to improve things, they'd create a dedicated path for walking/biking. Not a sidewalk or bike lane - about a 6ft paved way with a center divider that's physically separated from the road. I don't see that in very many places in the US though.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,645,769 times
I remember watching the news the day the James Island connector opened.
The mayor was standing on the bridge telling the public that you could ride your bike on it,,,I knew he was wrong when he said it......(I never did like him)

Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
My husband rides a bike all the time. He avoids Rifle Range -- easy enough to do. Common sense -- that is all it takes. I want to know why folks walk/run in the road instead of on the sidewalks. Nothing like meandering through a subdivision in your car and BAM out of the blue there is someone in dark clothing jogging in the road...when there is a perfectly good sidewalk to run on. Half the time you don't see them until you have to swerve to miss them -- even when you are doing 25 miles an hour.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,969,239 times
This reminded me of the biker I stopped for downtown not too long ago. He had the right of way so I stopped to let him pass. To make him comfortable that I wasn't going to run over him I waved him on in addition to stopping. The moron decided to yell at me by saying "THANK YOU ***** HOLE!!!"

Trying to be nice to these people does no good.

I witnessed a bike cut right in front of a car on the JI Connector just last week.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,349,929 times
I use the JI Connector daily and thought the cyclists must be suicidal to essentially be cycling on the narrow shoulder of a freeway. What I can't understand is why they didn't build a dedicated bike/walking path on the Connector.

I think Charleston and it's neighboring islands can be a great cycling city as everything is pretty compact if they just built some less dangerous paths for cyclists to utilize.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,970,087 times
What I find amazing is the fact that they will take a lane of the Ashley river bridge to make it a bike path. I travel that bridge everyday in my work and it is so congested now. What is it going to be like when they close that lane? It seems the "leaders" are creating more traffic problems around Charleston than they are solving.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,970,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
This reminded me of the biker I stopped for downtown not too long ago. He had the right of way so I stopped to let him pass. To make him comfortable that I wasn't going to run over him I waved him on in addition to stopping. The moron decided to yell at me by saying "THANK YOU ***** HOLE!!!"

Trying to be nice to these people does no good.

I witnessed a bike cut right in front of a car on the JI Connector just last week.

I know. I had one cut in front of me on the Harborview exit. He didn't even look behind, he just cut to the left in font of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area