Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM

53 posts, read 175,975 times

Advertisements

I am back from a four days visit in Charleston. Wonderful downtown, spent hours just walking around, looking at the houses architecture.
Things I still don't understand : why in a city where tourism is so important there are no fresh fruit stands on the street, or stands where you can buy a bottle of cold water, a hot dog, any kind of sandwich ? (like in Manhattan or Philly). I could not find a mailbox, a pharmacy to buy aspirin, and lip balm, it is a city where it is very difficult to buy basics things.
Why do we have to call a taxi and there are not taxi stations on the street ? I was not feeling well, my cellphone was discharged and no taxi ...
And many other odd things but I 'll stop....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
Hmm. Not sure where you were but there are many place to buy things like this downtown. Up and down King street. It is also college town. There is a CVS right in the heart of downtown. Sorry you weren't feeling well.

As far as taxi's, we have the pedi-taxis and I have caught a cab on the fly a few times. But we usually just walk.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
It isn't difficult to access basics at all.......

Let's see, there is a post office at the corner of Meeting & Broad with several boxes there. If you walked downtown then you were bound to see it. Also seems like I remember one close to Waterfront Park. And also in front of the Customs building?

There are a couple of vendors to buy water and italian ice but there are restaurants everywhere there, so there is no lack of food.

While there is greater access to something like a drugstore off the Peninsula, I feel sure there is something downtown. I am sure you could have found that in Charleston Place....

There are taxi's everywhere as well as rickshaws on almost every corner. There is also CARTA. No lack for transportation. Just simply ask.

Charleston isn't New York or Philly...Charleston is just Charleston.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
and we don't want it to be a Philly or NYC! That's why we visit those areas!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
OK, the street vendors would take away from the historic charm, you don't find street vendors at liberty hall....

There are all kinds of shops like the others said to buy water etc...

You just have to go inside the stores.....

The Pharmacies are disguised a little to fit into the historic look of the town....

Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 AM

If the stands are made in a tasteful way and were not placed in front of the "historic" houses I don't think they will destroy the city charm. Also I could not find newspapers and magazines kiosks. At least I could buy NY Times at Starbucks, but not WSJ. Where do you buy the art or other kind of magazines ?
I didn't suggest to copy Manhattan or Philly but I believe we can adapt ideas from other places, sites etc. Progress is based on open minds...and influenced by fresh fruits and vegetables(just joking).

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
There is nothing one can do to make a hotdog stand tasteful.

In the South a kiosk is something in a mall or shopping center....they are not on the streets but again if you walked the downtown area, there is a bookstore not sure if it is Walden's, Border's or another but it is at the corner of Meeting and Market. You can not miss the display windows. There is also several newspaper boxes at the same corner at the pay parking lot.

Charleston isn't looking to progress towards anything of the NYC or Philly type. This IS the South. You are nit picking, sobeit....you always have the option to not return there.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM

245 posts, read 447,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoral View Post
If the stands are made in a tasteful way and were not placed in front of the "historic" houses I don't think they will destroy the city charm. Also I could not find newspapers and magazines kiosks. At least I could buy NY Times at Starbucks, but not WSJ. Where do you buy the art or other kind of magazines ?
I didn't suggest to copy Manhattan or Philly but I believe we can adapt ideas from other places, sites etc. Progress is based on open minds...and influenced by fresh fruits and vegetables(just joking).
Ignore these blowhards, there's always room for improvement in any city. They obviously have their panties in a bunch.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
News papers like that are availabe at some of the larger Hotels, and there are a few others places to buy those like the Barnes and Noble at Market and Meeting.....

Like I said before these things are disguised....

Old 09-02-2009, 01:52 PM

I will visit again Charleston no matter what some people say here. If having some suggestions about the city is so disturbing for them is their problem not mine. I was just talking about things I found a little inconvenient for a tourist and if I'll decide to live there.
Change is sometimes inconvenient, it is true.
Oh, the South rhythm of life...........
At a bus station, undisturbed by people's presence, a woman was singing like a nightingale, this is the image I took with me from Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area