Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 11,146 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to visit Charleston in the next few months with an eye towards potentially relocating there. I'm trying to do this on a budget. During the days I plan to just walk around the neighborhoods and get a feel for the area.

Can anyone point me towards the neighborhoods that would be particularly safe or unsafe for me (a female traveling alone) to wander? I am also looking for relatively inexpensive lodging where I don't have to worry about getting mugged going to my room, or devoured by bedbugs once I'm in it.

I'm pretty lowkey, I don't care if I'm in a hotel/motel/B&B/inn/rustic cabin. I just want clean sheets, hot water, and no unwelcome guests, be they human, rodent or arthropod. I might also consider camping in my car at a campground, if there are likely to be any open in December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM

83 posts, read 225,215 times
Safety can be relative. But for the whole Charleston is pretty safe, however each neighborhood has their own areas that can be sketchy. You just have to be smart and I'd wander during the daylight hours.

Here's a link where you can compare rates at Charleston Hotels:

Charleston Hotel Search: Reserve Your Charleston Lodging Here!

Here's a link to a Charleston Hostel if that works better for you:

CHARLESTON'S NOTSO HOSTEL

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,506,292 times
The visitor's center is a great resource for what you are looking for. Here is their website URL Visit Charleston, SC | Charleston Vacation Planning & Charleston Tourism Info | Charleston Area CVB

Before I moved here I found studying www.charlestonrealestateguide.com very helpful in getting an idea of the different areas and neighborhoods. You'll also want to cross reference that with a map. Constantly checking www.walkscore.com was very helpful in finding out how walkable specific addresses and neighborhoods are to restaurants, grocery stores etc.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-16-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area