Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times

Advertisements

Wando has over 3,000 kids as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
SAT and ACT scores do not give you an accurate read of the schools in general, what they do is give you an accurate read of the students who took the tests. Since not all, and probably not even most of the students took the tests it can not be used to evaluate the entire school system.....

273 students took the ACT at Wando 215 took it at Summerville I don't know how many kids there are at Wando, but there are over 3K at Summerville, that makes the test a less than 10% sample.
You're exactly right. And the small percentage of those who took the test were probably all college-bound students, among the best students in the high school.

The headline caught my eye because ACT scores were just released here too, and they were down more than a full point this year -- statewide and locally. The reason? More students are taking the tests -- 99 percent of all graduating seniors statewide this past year.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
For those interested in standardized test scores of Charleston area schools, the 2009 ACT scores were just released. They can be found here. (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/assessment/scores/act/2009/2009ACTAssessmentResults.html - broken link) With Charleston County Schools viewed in such a negative light by many, it is nice to see that the top three composite test scores in the tri-county area in 2009 were in Charleston County (Academic Magnet High School, Charleston County School of the Arts and Wando High School). There certainly are many Charleston County Schools that need great improvement, but there are some excellent Public High School Options in the County.
Including magnet schools in the data, and NOT expecting them to be at the top, shows a lack of understanding of what a magnet schools are.

And having "magnet schools" in the first place confirms an area/state's lack of support for public education- and that the public ed system there is broken.

I would hope that Wando is still a true public school,and not a "secondary college" as is a magnet school.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Magnet Schools are government schools, ran by government administrators with government teachers, etc.....

And paid for with government money.....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,564 times
Put em' on the Football field, Summerville will teach Wando a thing or two

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Magnet Schools are government schools, ran by government administrators with government teachers, etc.....

And paid for with government money.....

To use the football analogy:

If you went to every HS team in the Trident area and got the top players, that would be your magnet school, only sub-in academics for pigskin skills.

If you took every student from a certain geographic area and field a team- that would be your typical HS team.

Who should be favored in any matchup?

I have a friend in the beauracracy of old District 20, the city school district.

They (can't be more specific, as it is a very political organization), run like the Mafia (dissenters simply vanish) put it this way:

"I fought against magnet schools from the start, because I knew any child not in a magnet would suffer."

"But once I saw they were inevitable (we don't have 'em, thank God) I knew I had to get my chioldren into one."

So, it's just the old aristocracy at it again- in mindset anyway:

Screw the majority for the sake of the minority.

The basis of South Carolina, since the Euro invasion in 1670.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,328 times
I would think that a student who scores well on the SAT will score well on the ACT. The 80% SAT test taking rate of Wando High School seniors certainly is not a small percentage, but rather a huge percentage in comparison I would suspect with a public school in South Carolina and in many other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You're exactly right. And the small percentage of those who took the test were probably all college-bound students, among the best students in the high school.

The headline caught my eye because ACT scores were just released here too, and they were down more than a full point this year -- statewide and locally. The reason? More students are taking the tests -- 99 percent of all graduating seniors statewide this past year.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM

I mentioned the Magnet School and the School of the Arts to stress that there are some excellent public school options in Charleston County, to include both of these schools. If you look at the schools Wando graduating seniors go on to attend and the amount of scholarship money they receive, I don't think one can honestly say that "the public education system", at least at Wando, is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Including magnet schools in the data, and NOT expecting them to be at the top, shows a lack of understanding of what a magnet schools are.

And having "magnet schools" in the first place confirms an area/state's lack of support for public education- and that the public ed system there is broken.

I would hope that Wando is still a true public school,and not a "secondary college" as is a magnet school.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
I mentioned the Magnet School and the School of the Arts to stress that there are some excellent public school options in Charleston County, to include both of these schools. If you look at the schools Wando graduating seniors go on to attend and the amount of scholarship money they receive, I don't think one can honestly say that "the public education system", at least at Wando, is broken.
Anyone know how their sat tests rank on a national basis?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Wando SAT Average - Verbal 524
Math 533
Writing 512
National Average Verbal 502
Math 515
Writing 494

Wando ACT - 22.9
National Ave. 21.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Anyone know how their sat tests rank on a national basis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area