Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM

11 posts, read 24,896 times

Advertisements

As someone who is interested in relocating to the Charleston area we are concerned with the FBI crime statistics, CQ Press interpetation of those statistics and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) reports. May I ask of residents of West Ashley (inside / outside Mark Clark), North Charleston and Summerville: is it true? Do you encounter it and does it affect your life? Where / what to avoid? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,326,754 times
I live in Summerville and I do not experience crime on a regular basis, we live near Knightsville and it is very quiet.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM

48 posts, read 107,835 times
The area seems high in Domestic violence and traffic accidents but for crime, while low in my area of Summerville, it seems to be creeping up a bit because of the economy.

Search the local media sites to get a good feel.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM

17 posts, read 61,303 times
So...I hope to be moving down to Charleston/Summerville in May 2011,.I do not know ANYTHING about the area,other than a few posts I read. I am 51,lived most my life in Worcester,Mass and it"s (crime) is getting soooo out of control with the stabbings,shootings,drugs that the courts can't keep up and these thugs are released on p.r. Unemployment up here is 9.9% not to mention the cold weather.the Democratic vote won again...So I need to make a change I am looking for a 50+ community 1-2 bedrooms at $750-$950 mo.like to be within walking distance to everything and hows the job market? I've been collect since Aug 2010 after 25 years with a company that moved to Mexico.Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
I live in close in West Ashley (2-3 stoplights to downtown depending on route) and feel perfectly safe. I can walk to/from the bars & restaurants in my area and often jog well after dark without any problems.

In my experience most of the crime seems to happen repeatedly in the same areas. And my personal observation is that even in higher crime areas we do not have much in the way of random crime. I'm not saying no randomn crime...

Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan4eva View Post
So...I hope to be moving down to Charleston/Summerville in May 2011,.I do not know ANYTHING about the area,other than a few posts I read. I am 51,lived most my life in Worcester,Mass and it"s (crime) is getting soooo out of control with the stabbings,shootings,drugs that the courts can't keep up and these thugs are released on p.r. Unemployment up here is 9.9% not to mention the cold weather.the Democratic vote won again...So I need to make a change I am looking for a 50+ community 1-2 bedrooms at $750-$950 mo.like to be within walking distance to everything and hows the job market? I've been collect since Aug 2010 after 25 years with a company that moved to Mexico.Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Btw I am a Red Sox Fan forever too :-) We moved from RI to Charleston last March. It takes some adjustment, the summers are brutal, the traffic is worse than I thought it would be, but overall I am very happy with the move. We live in West Ashley and I feel safe. No place is ever totally safe. but don't walk around feeling afraid. I don't go to ATM's at night or do anything that would make me a target but you have to be that way everywhere. We rented in Summerville before we bought in West Ashley, but Summerville was just too far from downtown Charleston for us. We also wanted to be closer to the coast. The job market down here is not good, even though Boeing is hiring..it's not that easy to get an interview. I would definitely make sure a job was in place before you move here. I think you would like it here. For me.. am in love with the whole area. It's a fantastic place to live, albeit not for everyone. Good luck to you.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:17 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
I owned a business in Summerville for less than a year. Within four months I was broken in to. The fine Slumberville PD came out and did what appeared to be a decent job...young cop. Later that day I found new evidence and called them back. Some fat, old guy came out with a young ride-along in tow. He was about as useless as tatas on a boar hog. He basically belittled me and was asking ME what I wanted him to do (even though there was evidence right under his big fat nose).

He ended up telling me that he could "stroke me" and act like he cared or he could just say there was nothing he could do to help and leave. He left...with what I firmly believe the perpetrator's vehicle sitting directly across the street from my business.

What a joke.

Crime is everywhere. Use what tools you have before you to make a solid decision. Best of luck.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM

272 posts, read 908,935 times
After living in south Florida for 30 years and moving here 4 yrs ago, I can tell you that
the crime rate here is nothing to be afraid of. Just use normal precautions and don't
do anything stupid, you will be fine.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I live in close in West Ashley (2-3 stoplights to downtown depending on route) and feel perfectly safe. I can walk to/from the bars & restaurants in my area and often jog well after dark without any problems.

In my experience most of the crime seems to happen repeatedly in the same areas. And my personal observation is that even in higher crime areas we do not have much in the way of random crime. I'm not saying no randomn crime...
Can you tell me where in West Ashley that you live? I am considering moving to the West Ashley area, and would love to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants. Can you recommend any good apartments in that area?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 28,007 times
I'm also curious about which areas/streets in West Ashley are good/safe and walkable for restaurants/shops... any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area