Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 AM

110 posts, read 565,534 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it rural? Small townish? Is there a lot of crime? How are the schools? Any private schools? We're looking for somewhere we can get a little more property but that's not out in the boonies. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,523 times
Statistically they have the lowest crime rate in the low country and I have heard they have a good police force.

I have also heard there is a good Catholic school there. As far as the public schools go they are Berkely county. From what I gather Berkley county isn't too bad, compared to most other places in the state. Here is a link to the school report cards of every county in the state. 2007 State of South Carolina Education Accountability Act Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2007/default.cfm - broken link)

Personally, I am not a fan of GC. It isn't really that rural anymore and is becoming more and more commercialized. It is very close to Rivers Ave in N. Charleston that will fulfill most of your shopping needs.
Personally, I like Summerville much better as it seems to have much more charm and I find the people more friendly.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times
Well. From the time I've spent in Goose Creek, it was okay. Seemed safe, mostly clean and very cookie cutter. What I didn't care for was that many of the subdivisions looked cheap. The houses looked to be relatively new, but didn't look well constructed.

I can't answer much about the other questions you asked, but that is my reaction to that area so far.

But, I did prefer it over Summerville.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 AM

70 posts, read 276,936 times
Default Goose Creek

It really depends on your personal preference. Goose Creek has nice, new home communities like Liberty Hall, over-55 planned communities like Del Webb and more established, upmarket communities like Crowfield Plantation. It is quite a large city (in area) and undergoing lots of growth.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM

85 posts, read 372,504 times
I live in Goose Creek and I personally like it. Stay away from Boulder Bluff and Beverly Hills. I live in the Sedgefield subdivision but *really* would like to move into the St. James Estates. The St. James subdivision has one of the best neighborhood crime watches in the county. Granted, there have still been break ins and vandalism there, its few and far between.

I would label Goose Creek as a suburban area but it is growing quickly. IMO, the houses that are new are going up entirely too fast. But hell, you could say that for just about anywhere where there is new construction.

Goose Creek is super close (IMO) to pretty much anything. The interstates are nearby and some of the other main highways are easily accessible as well.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
I live in Crowfield Plantation and absolutely love it. The trails that run throughout Crowfield are my favorite. I also like the fact you can be at the elementary, middle, or high school is 5 minutes. It takes me 15 minutes to drive to Summerville, 10 minutes to shopping in North Charleston (The good part), 20 minutes to downtown Charleston except during rush hour, and 25 minutes to the beach. Goose Creek is far from being the boonies. lol It is a small town with lots of nice people with changes in the works.

Crowfield Plantation - Home Page (broken link)

City of Goose Creek

Goose Creek Recreation Commission

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM

22 posts, read 85,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
...20 minutes to downtown Charleston except during rush hour,
So how long during rush hour? We may be moving to Charelston, but my job will take me all the way downtown. I was told commuting from Summerfield would be at least an hour during rush hour. Would the same be true for Goose Creek?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 AM

85 posts, read 372,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jba4241 View Post
So how long during rush hour? We may be moving to Charelston, but my job will take me all the way downtown. I was told commuting from Summerfield would be at least an hour during rush hour. Would the same be true for Goose Creek?
I say that's going to depend on what side of Goose Creek you chose to move to. From my side of Goose Creek (North Rhett Extension is pretty much my backyard) I'd say 30-45 minutes. From the Crowfield side, I would say an easy 45 min from there. I'd wait for Luvsdabeach to reply (or someone else in the area who knows) just to make sure.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
If you get on I-26 from College Park Rd. it will take you 50-55 minutes. If you get on I-26 from Hwy 52 it will take about 40-45 minutes. I leave my house about 6:15am. Like I have been telling other's, look at the traffic cams during the time you would be heading downtown and when you will be leaving downtown.

SCDOT - Getting Around in South Carolina - South Carolina Traffic Cameras (http://www.scdot.org/getting/cams/ - broken link)

Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times
Default Boulder Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpyrbby View Post
I live in Goose Creek and I personally like it. Stay away from Boulder Bluff and Beverly Hills. I live in the Sedgefield subdivision but *really* would like to move into the St. James Estates. The St. James subdivision has one of the best neighborhood crime watches in the county. Granted, there have still been break ins and vandalism there, its few and far between.

I would label Goose Creek as a suburban area but it is growing quickly. IMO, the houses that are new are going up entirely too fast. But hell, you could say that for just about anywhere where there is new construction.

Goose Creek is super close (IMO) to pretty much anything. The interstates are nearby and some of the other main highways are easily accessible as well.

I lived in Sedgefield 8 years and we had a lot of crime while we lived in that subdivision.
We ended up buying our house in Boulder Bluff and have lived here 37 years this past week!
When we lived in Sedgefield everyone told us how bad Boulder Bluff was but we have had a
pleasant experience .
All our neighbors are long time residents of Boulder Bluff , my kids went to the elementary school
and now the grandsons go to that school.
People still make comments about this subdivision but we have never had any issues.
My children live in Royal Oaks and Sophia Landing and tell everyone they grew up in the old Boulder Bluff
subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area