Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 PM

33 posts, read 158,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, have any of you heard of Goose Creek, know anything about it, I understand its near Charleston, about 15 or so miles kind of North West, is it a nice community, what's the shopping like, weather (storms, snow, ice). Heard about it from a client, but she is much younger than I, has small childred and is military connected, so other than my work we have little in common but she seemed quite impressed with the town/city. We are still trying to decide where to move to out of Florida, although we had kind of decided on a more mountainious area (Greer, Easley, etc) figured inquiring won't hurt might be surprised. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
If you aren't a military family, I would not consider a move from FL to Goose Creek. If you are interested in other towns in the Charleston/Summerville area, let us know or read other posts. Retired/employed, children/no children/, price range, all make a difference in which communities in the area might be a fit for you.

If you want mountainous, I suggest the Greenville area....there are lots of nice, small towns within 50 miles of Greenville.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 AM

116 posts, read 550,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
If you aren't a military family, I would not consider a move from FL to Goose Creek. If you are interested in other towns in the Charleston/Summerville area,
I would like to say I disagree with the military aspect. My wife and I lived in Crowfield Plantation (in Goose Creek) for over 5 years may have known five people who worked on the weapons station (ie. Military). Goose Creek is a controlled growth area that has been growing steadily for the last 10 years. The population is at about 30K and is quietly continuing to expand. It is not as busy or populated as Summerville (another really nice town...graduated high school in Summerville). The traffic there (Summerville) has gotten out of control.

Go to the Goose Creek town website and you can learn a lot more about the town. My wife and I moved to Charlotte earlier this year and she is still depressed about the move. It truly was a great bedroom community.

Good luck with your move.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Sorry, PharmD/MBA, I forgot about Crowfield Plantation. That is a very nice community and not normally associated with the military. I guess I was thinking more of the neighborhoods just outside of the commercial part of Goose Creek.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Understood SCBeaches. We often said we lived in Crowfield rather that GC. It seems the railroad tracks at 176 and 52 are a defining line of what some think of when they think of GC.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 46,198 times
PharmD/MBA- I agree that Crowfield is a nice bedroom community. We relocated to the Hamlets in May and it's been great so far! You mentioned you lived in this area, so I was curious if during any tropical/hurricane storms you considered boarding windows this far in? We moved from the opposite coast, so I have no idea what to expect with regards to hurricane damage in this area. The afternoon t'storms are enough for me! Any reply is appreciated, thank you

Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Never boarded the windows. It does get rough during a Category 2-5 hurricane but a Cat 1 or Tropical store is generally no worse than the afternoon storms you are getting almost daily.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM

264 posts, read 829,579 times
Speaking from "the other side of the tracks", It's not all military here either. I've lived in Boulder Bluff for over 15 years and I only know one family that works at the weapons station (and they just moved here).
A lot changed on this side when the Navy base closed. Most of the military moved from this area and now live in the areas immediately around the weapons station. This side of the tracks is now mostly older to middle aged families who live and work in and around GC.
As for GC in general, it's not too bad a place. I've had a few run-ins with the local officials but nothing too serious. People here are friendly, the weather is nice (if you like hot and humid) and traffic is not as bad as some other areas around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area