Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM

76 posts, read 295,410 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone has an opinion about Hanahan and Goose Creek.
Which has better shopping, better house prices, lower crime, better schools, lower taxes.
Also, would we be more likely to get a home with some land (.3 acre at least)? in Hanahan or Goose Creek?
Which one has a more small town feel?
Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:00 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne1 View Post
I would like to know if anyone has an opinion about Hanahan and Goose Creek.
Which has better shopping, better house prices, lower crime, better schools, lower taxes.
Also, would we be more likely to get a home with some land (.3 acre at least)? in Hanahan or Goose Creek?
Which one has a more small town feel?
Thanks for your help!!
Goose Creek to me just doesn't seem like a town. It seems more like an area. There really isn't a whole lot of shopping there. Walmart is the biggest thing going. A new Lowe's just opened. There is a Big Lot's. Other than that it's just little strip mall type places. They don't have a little downtown area like Summerville does. They talked about creating one a while back but I think they might have bagged the idea now. Goose Creek is expected to really grow in the coming years, so it's not going to remain small for long.

I'm not really familiar with the Hanahan area that much. Hanahan is located a little too close to North Charleston for me. I'd be concerned about the schools over that way.

Last edited by scjj; 03-02-2007 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 AM

76 posts, read 295,410 times
SCJJ,
What is wrong with being close to North Charleston? Crime??
We may be able to afford private school, so I would consider Hanahan despite the public schools there.
Does Summerville seem like a small town? It seems so big to me to have that type of atmosphere. Am I wrong??
We hope to be down there mid April to check it out.
Any other info would be great!
Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,060 times
Depends on what side of North Charleston you are on, but yes the crime mostly. Hanahan does not border on North Charleston's good side.

Summerville seems like a small town to me. Once you get past the initial commercial area off of the interstate it turns into the downtown area where you will find unique restaurants and little shops. This is where most of the historical homes are located. Tucked here and there around town you will find various neighborhoods. It really isn't all that big when I think about it. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I have lived in some rather large cities like Atlanta and Baltimore, so this is nothing. Main Street, Trolley Road and parts of Dorchester Road have most of the shopping and restaurants. Other than that it's mostly residential and it doesn't take long before you get into the more rural areas.

Every year in April is the Flowertown Festival in Azalea park. There is food and vendors and it really feels like the all american town surrounded by the historical homes and families out for a good time. People come from all over the country for this festival. Over 250,000 people attend over 3 days, it's pretty amazing. Football season around here is another time where there is loyalty and a sense of pride in the community. Summerville High School has one of the best teams and coach in the entire country. It is not unusual for over 10k fans to show up at big rival games, young and old alike. These things, along with the scenery of the area (there are tons of trees) and the people who are just genuinely friendly is what gives it the small town atmosphere to me.

You might want to check out the Knightsville area which is a part of Summerville. It is located a little further out of town, but not too far out. They just built a nice shopping center out there. There are quite a few new neighborhoods and the schools are still part of Dorchester 2. That might be close to what you are looking for.

Last edited by scjj; 03-03-2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,743 times
I graduated from Hanahan High School. (and i am originally from NYC) I heard not so good things about Goose Creek. Not only the area but the school system. There are some nice parts of Goose Creek but its a higher cost of living. As far as the crime, you never can tell where more crime happens then other areas. You cant stop it from happening. I worked in some of the apartment communities and when potential residents called concerned about the crime, the best advise I gave was to call the local police stations and they can give you all the information you need in regards to the crime level in that area.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 99,382 times
Adrienne,

If you are making your choices of Hanahan or Goose Creek based on proximity to future work or something like that, then fine. If you're really looking more for small town feel, then there are several communities or pockets within larger towns scattered around the tri-county area that might meet that need for you. Areas of Mt Pleasant, Daniel Island, West Ashley, West Ashley, Summerville all come to mind, and I'm sure there are more.

This tri-county area has some of the better public schools in the state, but that is not a blanket statement about the whole area, but rather applies to certain local areas within the tri-county. Generally, good public school reps include the schools in Mt Pleasant, on Daniel Island, in Dorchester County District 2 (includes Fort Dorchester High and Summerville High), and Hanahan High. This is not an all-inclusive list, so you'll want to confirm the schools for specific areas that most appeal to you. Plenty of private and parochial school options around.

Good luck in your searching!
Steve

Home prices generally are a good bit more costly in Mt Pleasant and on Daniel Island than in other inland areas. Depends on what your price range is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area