Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
So what I got, from that article, is that I do not need to pay for land-line service, but I should keep a corded phone plugged into a jack at the house.

Thanks for posting that!
Only if you hear dial tone can you call 9-1-1. Yes the phone companies do have a thing called "quick serve" in which dial tone is on a phone jack but they do not do that for you. They do it for their own use so that when somebody moves in and request service they can quickly determine whether or not they need to send a tech out to connect it or if they can simply assign a number to it and turn you on. A quick serve is actually assigned a number although you cannot make or get calls on it. You can dial 9-1-1 on it and 6-1-1 to order service.
Now here is the kicker- your dial tone is NOT assured. If, for example, your neighbour's phone goes out and he calls the telephone man out, the telephone man can dissconnect a quick serve to use that wire (or pair as they call it) to fix the neighbour's phone. Usually the telephone man will look for an unwired unused pair first because those are the easiest for him to use but if he cannot find one, he will pull up the records and see if there is a quick serve he can use.
What I would advise you do is to subscribe but ask for "the lowest tariff rate" which is not well advertised but is usually $15 to $20 a month for a very no frills line perhaps with "meausred local service". And don't take any add ons like inside wiring plan or crap like that. Just tell them you want the cheapest dial tone rate plus touch tone service (if you do not have a dial phone) OR as I said before get "naked" or stand alone DSL service which always comes with dial tone that you can call 9-1-1 with only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM

You can also call 9-1-1 from an unsubscribed cell phone too. Lots of folks don't know that and pay for cell service they never use.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I do not have a landline and rely solely on my cell. I really don't know if it saves me any money or not. It's nice to never have a solicitor bothering you, thats for sure but it's hard at times when you have lost your phone in the house, somehow or even worse, have had it stolen! I think land lines are still important to have. For instance, I live in Florida, and during hurricane season, I get extremely nervous not having the use of a land line just in case my cell towers happen to go out. I've been told it's important to have a land line here. Still haven't gotten one yet. Maybe soon?? Who knows.
there is the do not call list you may put your home and cell phone on so you do not get unwanted calls.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,164 times
Yes that is true! Gosh it's been so long since I've had a land line. I almost forgot about that!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,585 times
I wonder if places will stop asking for a home phone bill to prove your residency. Never had a home phone myself! I'm not really at home all that often, so a home phone would just ring and ring if I did have one.

They probably won't become obsolete in the near future, but for people in the cities they are becoming very rare.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I wonder if places will stop asking for a home phone bill to prove your residency. Never had a home phone myself! I'm not really at home all that often, so a home phone would just ring and ring if I did have one.

They probably won't become obsolete in the near future, but for people in the cities they are becoming very rare.

Answering machine.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post

Usually they will take a lease, light bill or bank statement too.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
We have had only a cell phone for the past 3 years, Verizon. We used to have the Verizon air card for the internet but we couldn't get internet service in the mountains of TN(our summer place). We now have Hughes Net satellite internet. So far it's been good.

We live in our Motorhome so everything needs to be mobile. We just bought a net10 phone to have as an extra in case my husband and I are apart or in case we go over our verizon minutes. If you go over your minutes Verizon charges .45 per minute. The net10 is always .10 per minute with no contract.

Lisa

Old 04-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We have had only a cell phone for the past 3 years, Verizon. We used to have the Verizon air card for the internet but we couldn't get internet service in the mountains of TN(our summer place). We now have Hughes Net satellite internet. So far it's been good.

We live in our Motorhome so everything needs to be mobile. We just bought a net10 phone to have as an extra in case my husband and I are apart or in case we go over our verizon minutes. If you go over your minutes Verizon charges .45 per minute. The net10 is always .10 per minute with no contract.

Lisa
Don't know what you pay now but for $99 you can now get unlimited service from verizon or att.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
KEVK,

Thanks. I heard that but we are on the $39.99 plan and with the added Net10 at 10 cents any extra minutes this is just fine.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones