Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times

Advertisements

Well, we had our home phone shut off on Feb 23 and it has been GREAT, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Just before shutting off the home phone, we bought two new Verizon cell phones (with the built in camera....very cool, voice activation......very cool and some other very, very cool things).
Wow, did I say the word "cool" that many times at my age (58)????
Anyway, I have the main cell phone and my wife has the other one. It is total shocking (and happiness) for us NOT to hear our home phone ring any more (like it use to when it was hooked up). We now have our computer running on a "data line" for the Internet access and it runs great. We don't really use a phone that much, so the 700 minutes (Family Plan) of call time we have is wayyyyy more than enough for us . And, we can call each other and it doesn't cost us a dime! And, the camera on the phone can come in so, so handy.
Doing this was an excellent idea for us!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,048 times
Default If no DSL, then Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you know of anyone who has had their home phone shut off and uses their cell phone as their only phone? We were thinking about doing this, but wanted some insight from anyone who has/is doing it.

If you don't need a DSL line, then you don't need a home phone. We used cable for internet, and used cellphone for phone service. Inside USA, our cell phone plan gives no roaming and no long distance charges. For international calls we use calling cards from [url=http://www.phonecard-deals.com]International Phone Cards - Prepaid calling cards to call anywhere[/url]

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM

7,913 posts, read 932,764 times
We turned off our home phone so we wouldnt get bothered plus our cell phones dont work at our house, but we had to turn it bac on for internet service.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,389 times
I don't know a lot about tech stuff, but are there not cell phones and plans, where you can go online check emails and surf the net? I would like to know this. I use the landline for dial up only, and if I could get online with my cell, I could dump it the land line.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I also don't know alot about technology. Just wondering if one doesn't want DSL, if you can get a landline JUST for internet, not as a phone line? I hate all the telemarketing calls in the evening, and just keep my computer on so as not to be bothered with those calls. Anyone who matters has my cell number.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,012 times
I do not have a landline and rely solely on my cell. I really don't know if it saves me any money or not. It's nice to never have a solicitor bothering you, thats for sure but it's hard at times when you have lost your phone in the house, somehow or even worse, have had it stolen! I think land lines are still important to have. For instance, I live in Florida, and during hurricane season, I get extremely nervous not having the use of a land line just in case my cell towers happen to go out. I've been told it's important to have a land line here. Still haven't gotten one yet. Maybe soon?? Who knows.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Default North Carolina

I'm not a subscriber of the local telephone company service. I use Vonage VoIP for everyday home use and Verizon Wireless for backup and mobile use. I can also access 9-1-1 by using the regular wall jack. A free service for non-subscribers of the local land-based telephone company.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-24-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you know of anyone who has had their home phone shut off and uses their cell phone as their only phone? We were thinking about doing this, but wanted some insight from anyone who has/is doing it.
I've encountered MANY people who don't have a "home phone". They give their cell phone number as a point of contact, and carry that "leash" around with them daily...instead of simply having times where they "can't be reached."

I preferred to be "unreachable" unless I wanted to be "reached".

Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
How timely!
I'm currently without a landline. Currently, as in "as of this morning".

Funny story. A loooong time ago I swore off doing business with AT&T. Just crazy-lousy customer service. So what happens last year? AT&T bought out our area's phone service. I remember thinking "oh this will be gooood" but I thought I'd give em a 2nd chance. So far they've only mis-billed me 3 or 4 times and it's been fairly painless to sort out.

Well, ditz that I am, I forgot to pay last month's phone bill (holidays, travel, houseguests, illness etc etc). Popped it in the mail late. "Due date" was yesterday (Jan 15th) but of course there was no mail service (MLK day).

Sooooooo, the braniacs at AT&T shut off my service this morning, even though my check is doubtlessly sitting in a mail-bin in their facility at this point.

No, here is the beautiful part: I DON"T NEED THEM.

Darn that feels good! With two cell phones in the house and a cable modem, I'm thinkin' "what the heck?". Reconnect fees? I don't think so! Maybe if they give me a few months free service I'll consider reconnecting.

p.s. My daughter and most of her friends have never had land-lines. I think it's pretty common with the under-25 crowd.
You must have been a Bellsouth customer.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've thought about it plenty, but without a land-line, I wouldn't have internet service.

But I do know a few people that only have a cell-phone and use cafes for their online pleasures.
ATT won't tell you this but you can get naked DSL service for about $15 a month. You will have DSL and dial tone that you can use to call 911 if you need too (but nobody else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones