Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times

Advertisements

We still have a landline and will keep one, kids in the house and all. When we leave we have OUR cell phones and they don't have one. So they could not get us if there was an emergency. And the answer is NO, I am NOT buying my kids a cell phone, I know where they are at all times. I do know several though that have dropped their landline and gone strictly to cell service. It has drawbacks like 911. We have a pretty big house and a phone pretty close by wherever you are in it so if a call comes you can get it or in an emergency no need to hunt for my cellphone to make a call. Plus sometimes the weather can have an effect on service. So for our own safety feeling we have our landline. I only know of two people that dropped their landline that went back to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
I did this over a year ago and it has saved me money. Only problems I've had were.....lost my phone in an airport so I was with no phone for several days and I've gone over my minutes a few times and my bill was double.

One more thing. I've programmed numbers I called into the phone, so when I lost my phone I also lost some numbers. If you do the switch make sure you write all your numbers in a book or put them somewhere.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:21 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,895 times
This is weird. My friend just called me on her cell phone. She said she had a mix up over her bill . Her home phone was turned off. She is really in trouble because she said ,she is already 25 minutes over on her cell phone minutes. At 45 cents a minute she better use the pay phone untill she get's her bill and service fixed.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
I use my cell phone as the primary phone. I just never had any use for a home phone since I'm not usually home and it's quite cost-effective. I'm trying to go completely wireless in my life and so far it's working great!

When I did have a home phone I rarely used it because all my numbers were programmed on my cell. I made a great decision doing this and I'd recommend it if you have good wireless service in your area.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you know of anyone who has had their home phone shut off and uses their cell phone as their only phone? We were thinking about doing this, but wanted some insight from anyone who has/is doing it.
I went half way. I got Vonage. No more Veriscum nonsense, no more crazy bills either. $27 a month total, no more, no less. The service quality is the same, and the features are 1000 times better.

-TT

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,720 times
Where I live cellular service is spotty at best. I do get a real strong signal at home but unfortunately the tower that gives me that signal is in the next country - aka Canada - making calls too expensive to consider for regular use. Too bad, because I'd drop my landline like a hot potato. I'm going to have to check out Vonage, YapCity

Question: Can microwaves emitted from from cell phones cause bodily harm?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
I have a land line, but most people I know don't and solely use their cell phones. I probably will in the future as well. As someone pointed out, this is very common amongst twentysomethings. There just isn't that much need for a land line anymore.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,581 times
I could be wrong, but I was told by ? years ago that even if the home owner has no land line, as long as there is still a connection to the house you can plug a phone in and call 911 only. Don't remember if it was a phone company that told me that or some crackhead. It's worth asking next time you are calling your phone company.
We have thought about canceling our landline too but then it is nice to have it for stuff like momof2dfw said. I also worry about earthquakes or whatever natural diaster you may have and your power is out and you can't charge your cellphone battery. I do have a crank charger thing and you can always use your car too but ? I guess I just like spending $40 a month for a landline (that I don't use) for piece of mind??. Plus I only give my cell number to important people. I rather have my house phone ringing with all the people I don't want to talk to then my cellphone.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,113 times
I was under the impression that 911 can track your cell phone, am I wrong? My phone has a location finder thingy that I can turn on or off, my info on my phone tells me 911 can find me even with that thing turned off. Yep, I just looked it was under settings and location - if turned on my company can find me also. So check on your phone......We have been without land line for over a year now, and don't miss it at all. Only time I have had any problems is last spring when a horrible storm blew through, it cut me off while I was talking to my husband who was at work.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 56,929 times
I Just Turned Off My Land Line. It Was Costing Over $65 A Month. And i Hated The Service anyway...beST Thing I Have Ever Done..beseides Only Bill Collectors Called My On It Anyway....!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones