Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM

174 posts, read 639,872 times

Advertisements

I am currently on Verizon and used to have a Palm Pre (UGH), which was replaced 3 times over the last month because of overheating issues. Not to mention it's just a terrible phone to begin with. The last time it overheated, a mere week after the last replacement, I decided to give up on it and am now using a borrowed LG flip phone.

After all the issues w/ the Palm, I am going to get an iPhone. I'm just not sure on which network. Verizon *might* push my upgrade to this Feb, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them to follow through with that .

AT&T Pro's:
- I can't imagine having more problems with AT&T's network (I don't make voice calls that much to begin with) than I've already had with the Palm Pre.
- I could get the phone in 1-2 days, instead of 3 weeks.

AT&T Con's:
- I might have to pay Verizon's ETF. Considering customer service has already been SO unhelpful in crediting me for lost time w/ the Palm Pre, I doubt I could get them to waive that.
- Everyone complains about AT&T's network and dropped calls.

The monthly plans would be the same on either network, and I wouldn't use more than 2GB of data (so unlimited isn't an issue). I also don't care about tethering/hot spotting.

Does anyone have any thoughts or made the switch themselves? It seems silly that I've waited so long on Verizon for the iPhone and now want to go to AT&T. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
First, I would get a supervisor on the phone if there was an issue with your service but realize that if your phone was overheating, that is an issue with the phone manufacturer and not Verizon. Personally, knowing both networks and considering that pricing is almost identical, I would go with Verizon. They have a much better network.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
I'm just over the border in Mass. but do a lot of work in N'thern Ct. and most areas around here AT&T coverage is spotty.I have a friend who has the IPhone (AT&T) and he's always dropping calls or sounds under water while we're talking.I have Verizon and while they're not perfect, in this area I think they have the best coverage.I've also found their CS to be very good and helpful but if you're having trouble I would ask for a supervisor.

As far as your Palm Pre goes I'd have asked for a different phone if you keep having problems.Same thing happen to me a few years back but with a Motorola phone.Everyone they gave me had problems with the charging port,after the 3rd one I asked for a different brand,have had an LG ever since with no problems.Like Lancet71 said that's a manufacturers problem not Verizon.Trust me if you complain enough they'll give you a new one.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I'm an AT&T iphone user. My suggestion. Get an Android and stay with Verizon. Don't buy the iphone hype. As soon as my contract is up, i'm jumping ship. Both my iphones have been garbage.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

174 posts, read 639,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
As far as your Palm Pre goes I'd have asked for a different phone if you keep having problems.Same thing happen to me a few years back but with a Motorola phone.Everyone they gave me had problems with the charging port,after the 3rd one I asked for a different brand,have had an LG ever since with no problems.Like Lancet71 said that's a manufacturers problem not Verizon.Trust me if you complain enough they'll give you a new one.
I asked them for an iPhone actually, which is why they agreed to give me one at the upgrade price on 2/10. The Palm Pre is a terrible phone, every tech I brought it to has hated it also. Before each phone would start to overheat, it'd completely lock out any incoming/outgoing signals (no calls or texts or emails could be received/sent), which I'd attribute to being without service...I should have clarified that earlier, the battery drain/overheating wasn't the phone's only problem.

Still on the fence, but thank you all for the replies so far!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
My nephew had a Pre for 2 years. I liked it.
But they dropped the ball with Apps....

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
I read your post yesterday but didn't really have much to offer. I saw this post at Popular Mechanics today so thought I put the link here. Hope it's helpful.

Quote:
AT&T iPhone vs. Verizon iPhone: All You Need To Know to Make an Informed Decision

Verizon is essentially selling the same iPhone to its customers as AT&T is (with the exception of the antenna set, obviously), so for iPhone shoppers, the decision of which carrier to go with can be broken down into three questions, so let’s quickly look through them.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
The fact that you are only considering an iPhone (and believe the Pre is absolute garbage) proves you are an idiot.

Apple will love you.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
The fact that you are only considering an iPhone (and believe the Pre is absolute garbage) proves you are an idiot.

Apple will love you.

That's harsh, webos is great, but the pre hardware, not so much

Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Truthfully there are lots of great phones out there including Droids. Personally, i'm a blackberry user and probably will remain that way for live. I had the Curve and for over a year now, the curve 2. I'm not big on touch screens so I avoided the Storms but I love the blackberry system and any apps I need I can always download. Most high end phones can dowload apps nowadays unlike some phones which have them preloaded. In blackberry app world there are tons that are free and others that are described for specific costs. Do alot of research and hit the corporate stores because hands on is much better than guessing if you will like a phone. Good Luck. -Lance-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones