Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

As is my policy at the office I will let anyone get any phone they want.
Funny how it has changed over the years.
As long as it is Verizon you can get any phone and the company pays for it.
First we were a Window Mobile shop. Then one guy got a Blackberry. Everyone liked them so that blossomed into 6 BB users.
Then the first BB user's contract was up and he got a Droid.
And another.
And another.
Now comes the iPhone.
Another BB user contract up and since VZW has the iPhone now, he got that.

What a pain in the ass to set this thing up. I have no bias towards any phone. They all have pros and cons. But my god what a pita to set this thing up.
With ANY other phone it's a simple *228, and then config a few email settings and DONE. No computer needed. I can do it anywhere as long as I have a signal. Takes all of 5 minutes.
Not so with this thing.
First, your voicemails get deleted and a new voice mail box gets created. Really? Never heard of such a thing. I assume that is for the Visual Voicemal service.
Then you MUST install iTunes on your computer in order to activate the phone. There's a 20 minute process minimum.
You also MUST present a credit card right now. Unlike the Droid that doesn't ask for such things until...o i dunno... you want to BUY SOMETHING!

Really disappointed....

I'll report back in 2 hours when this thing is finally working....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
All Apple products require ITunes in order to activate them. Maybe instead of blaming the phone you should've looked into this beforehand. As far as entering your credit card at the time of registration,I'd much rather have it already entered and only have to enter a password to buy something than have to always enter my CC info EVERY TIME I make a purchase.But that's just me,I like convenience.It's also a lot safer too,no need to always be carrying your CC everywhere to make a purchase.Also,installing ITunes takes about 5 mins.unless you're using something from back in the 90's that has the processor speed on a dinosaur.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Then you MUST install iTunes on your computer in order to activate the phone.
Reason #1 why I'll never get an iPhone or iPod.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
All Apple products require ITunes in order to activate them. Maybe instead of blaming the phone you should've looked into this beforehand. As far as entering your credit card at the time of registration,I'd much rather have it already entered and only have to enter a password to buy something than have to always enter my CC info EVERY TIME I make a purchase.But that's just me,I like convenience.It's also a lot safer too,no need to always be carrying your CC everywhere to make a purchase.Also,installing ITunes takes about 5 mins.unless you're using something from back in the 90's that has the processor speed on a dinosaur.
That's a fanboi response if I ever heard one.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

Ah yes,when the Apple haters disagree they revert to insults instead of posting actual reasoning. There were over 46 million IPhone sold in 2010 and that's through an inferior carrier like AT&T.HTC EVO which is also very popular sold 3.6 million,the Droid X sold 3.1 million and the Samsung galaxy sold 10 million.Those 3 popular Droid phones combined don't even add up to 1/2 of the iPhones sold in 2010.So I guess there's quite a few "fanbois" out there.

If installing ITunes is a chore than you probably shouldn't even own a computer. Besides,who in their right mind would want to enter their CC info every time you make a purchase? You're telling me if you're sitting in a coffee shop or an airport and want to make a purchase it's easier to dig through everything to find your CC than it is to enter a password?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
iTunes is terrible for managing music, much less anything else. I'd rather use a real media player like Fubar2000 which has real support for music files, not just crappy quality mp3s. I don't get how people can be satisfied with compressed lossy quality.

Being forced to install something like that is one of the main reasons why I will never support apple. They want us to follow the Steve Jobs vision of us being robots, with no room for customization. Look at the iPad. It doesn't even have ONE USB port...One! My phone from 6 years ago had more ports than that. But you might be tempted to connect something that Mr. Jobs doesn't approve of.

The Android and Google belief that open source and rooting are ok, is the way things should be. Things get fixed much faster, and the community is much better because of it.

Oh, and one thing about Android...stop calling Android phones Droids. My Evo is not a Droid...it runs the Android OS. Stupid Verizon marketing...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Ah yes,when the Apple haters disagree they revert to insults instead of posting actual reasoning.
The only problem with your theory is I'm not an apple hater. If I could get an iPhone without paying through the nose for service every month I would, and use my wife's Macbook for any necessary iTunes interaction.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Agreed.

Gixxer1... No one has to enter thier Credit Card info every time with a Droid. Just the first time you ACTUALLY BUY SOMETHING from the market. Your info is kept on file after that.
If you never buy an app... and yes there are people like that... I work with 2 of them... you don't need to enter a credit card.

I am not a "hater" either. I dislike people that blindly hate some product or company.

I have dual T-1 lines at my office. It took 20 minutes just to download the iTunes (and, of course, Quicktime) updates. Updates. My end user already had an older version of iTunes installed.
OK, it only took 5 to install, but come on.
It takes 5 minutes to set up a Droid, a Windows Mobile Phone, a Palm phone... any other phone.
And as the IT Manager at my office I don't WANT iTunes on all my users computers. But I HAVE to install it for the iPhone to even work?!?
That bothers me.
No, it is not a chore to install software. Don't be a tool. But just to activate a phone? Come on... that's ridiculous.

You don't even need a computer for.... every other phone on the market.

So, yes, it is a pain to set up. Compared to every other phone. Once it was activated, setting up Exchange on it took all of 2 minutes. That was nice.

I like the iPhone Gixxer. Scratch that. LOVE IT.
So do NOT call me a hater.
If HTC made an iPhone that wasn't tied down with Apple, and didn't require iTunes (which I don't like) I'd own one.

Until then, I will be sticking with Android phones.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I have an iPhone (and love it), but I agree with your opinion of iTunes. I am not a fan of iTunes and have never bought a song from iTunes. Apple, and especially iPhone, is known for being very user friendly; iTunes has somehow missed the mark.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Wife's Droid died 1 week after the 1 year warranty expired. The guy at the Verizon store was kind of rude so when she got home she called Verizon.
I told her to go ahead and break her contract if she wanted. She was so mad.

The VZW rep on the phone was very nice and in order to keep my wife as a customer offered her an iPhone at the normal 2 year contract price, $199. With a new 2 year contract, of course.
Should arrive tomorrow...

So tell me again I am anti-iPhone???

Seems Verizon is really pushing the iPhone, eh???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones