Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times

Advertisements

"Hi, I'm William Devane, and I want you to purchase precious metals. Nevermind that precious metals are way over valued as a result of unnatural market manipulations predicated by an unserviceable debt floated my treasury bills purchased by our economic competitors, I want you to buy gold. Take it from a fat cat like me who owns lots of land and a Cessna 182 (which is way better that a 172 and a universe apart from a 152, you losers), you little people need to buy gold. In a total financial meltdown you won't be able to eat gold, drink gold, or use gold to defend yourself and property from raiding parties, but hey, it sure is shiny, and you should take my advice because, after all, I've been in television shows and movies, and I have way better hair than that Hollywood actor from Shawshank Redemption in that other commercial."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
"Hi, I'm William Devane, and I want you to purchase precious metals. Nevermind that precious metals are way over valued as a result of unnatural market manipulations predicated by an unserviceable debt floated my treasury bills purchased by our economic competitors, I want you to buy gold. Take it from a fat cat like me who owns lots of land and a Cessna 182 (which is way better that a 172 and a universe apart from a 152, you losers), you little people need to buy gold. In a total financial meltdown you won't be able to eat gold, drink gold, or use gold to defend yourself and property from raiding parties, but hey, it sure is shiny, and you should take my advice because, after all, I've been in television shows and movies, and I have way better hair than that Hollywood actor from Shawshank Redemption in that other commercial."
LOL!

It says on his Wikipedia page he "Has a bacon number of 1." Not sure what that means. Do we all have bacon numbers?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
I believe that is the Hollywood version of the degrees of separation, referred to as the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,375,157 times
I put him in the same category as the celebrities trying to sell reverse mortgages, like Henry Winkler. How many people actually buy into these things because of celebrity endorsements?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,643,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I put him in the same category as the celebrities trying to sell reverse mortgages, like Henry Winkler. How many people actually buy into these things because of celebrity endorsements?
Or Fred Thompson. They remind me of carnival hucksters. There may be some good things about reverse mortgages but, I have heard and read about so many people getting burned.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
Let's not forget that harelip Alex Trebek.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
There are quite a number of celebrity spokespeople pitching goods or services -- I just think the William Devane commercials are especially pretentious, particularly the ones that feature his ranch or his Cessna (especially the latter).

Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 AM

5,599 posts, read 6,527,900 times
Everybody has a price........looks like these already famous and wealthy scammers, oops, I mean pitchmen, value money over reputation and respect. I say this because I don't believe any of them believe in the product they are hyping, they are trying to make a buck and rekindle their name recognition. Just my opinion, this is how it comes across to me. I find it sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities