Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 AM

223 posts, read 281,369 times

Advertisements

declawing cats is cruel & selfish.the vets that do it just want the money & dont care about the cat.they should be sent to iraq & ill even chip in a few bucks for the airfare.i NEVER ever will do business with a horrid vet that declaws animals. Moderator cut: personal attackDECLAWING CATS IS VERY PAINFUL & INHUMAINE.ITS BEEN BANNED IN MANY COUNTRIES & A FEW CITIES IN THE USA.IT SHOULD BE BANNED WORLDWIDE INCLUDING AMERICA ! please contact the above mentioned people and express your concerns as i have.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-13-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 AM

550 posts, read 2,826,009 times
De-clawing cats is a horrible thing to do. Anyone who does it should be de-nailed and de-toothed. See how they get along in the world. If you don't want a cat to wreck your couch don't get such a damned expensive couch! My mom put plastic wrap on the corners of the couch, my cat hated it! We also had a cat nip smelling scratching post!! Wow, what a concept.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Declawing, as I understand it, is really amputation of the toes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

My kids went to the shelter for a kitty for themselves that was already declawed, as a good alternative. They found sweetie!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
I have to say that I did declaw my cat and I don't think it bothered him much. In my defense he was an indoor cat only and it was either declaw him or get rid of him. He was destroying my aunt's house (which is where we lived at the time) and to keep him (for 11 more years) I thought it was the lesser of two evils. He continued to "scratch" things even after he was declawed...and actually he had no pain or trouble when I brought him home from the vet. Now I only had the front ones done, so I don't know if people do all of them. But like I said I think it's better than not having the cat.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have to say that I did declaw my cat and I don't think it bothered him much. In my defense he was an indoor cat only and it was either declaw him or get rid of him. He was destroying my aunt's house (which is where we lived at the time) and to keep him (for 11 more years) I thought it was the lesser of two evils. He continued to "scratch" things even after he was declawed...and actually he had no pain or trouble when I brought him home from the vet. Now I only had the front ones done, so I don't know if people do all of them. But like I said I think it's better than not having the cat.
We had the same situation, and we did declaw before we really understood what was involved. This was some 30 years ago, and I am so sorry. I would never do it again! It wasn't until she was declawed that the vet told us that cats, once declawed, can become biters. She didn't, fortunately, but evidently they know they don't have a way to defend themselves and it's stressful for them.

Also, even though our cats never went outdoors, not everyone can be that careful, especially if there are children around always going in and out, and maybe not noticing that kitty has snuck out. How will the cat defend itself it if got out, wandered off and got lost?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
It wasn't until she was declawed that the vet told us that cats, once declawed, can become biters.
Even kitties WITH claws can be biters. I have five that have claws and one nibbles his mama all the time, even tho I have been trying to teach him for 5 years now that mama is not a chew toy.

I clip their claws to help keep my furniture safe and keep them safe from each other. One is a polydactyl and it's either clip or declaw. I prefer to clip. Liz

Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM

223 posts, read 281,369 times
declawing is banned in 23 countries & only performed in extreme cases.read & educate....please ! http://www.bless-their-hearts.com/ri...declawing.html

Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
De-clawing cats is a horrible thing to do. Anyone who does it should be de-nailed and de-toothed. See how they get along in the world. If you don't want a cat to wreck your couch don't get such a damned expensive couch! My mom put plastic wrap on the corners of the couch, my cat hated it! We also had a cat nip smelling scratching post!! Wow, what a concept.
How could you do that to your poor little cat. That is so horrible to put plastic wrap on you choch knowing it will scare your cat and the cat will hate it, How could you be so mean? If you love your pet just a little you should let it wreck everything in the house.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
How could you do that to your poor little cat. That is so horrible to put plastic wrap on you choch knowing it will scare your cat and the cat will hate it, How could you be so mean? If you love your pet just a little you should let it wreck everything in the house.
This is a joke right?

Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
This is a joke right?
Personally, I don't think so. I agree people have different preferences and a lot of other things are often involved, like living in someone else's house etc. And I'm not on either side of the argument here, just sharing my experience.

My cat only scratches my computer chair, which is solid, and there's no visible damage, and one side of my couch - the one next to the window where nobody gets to see it. He's managed to tear off the better part of it in two years now but no more damage in the house. Why wouldn't I let him continue? He's my first cat but I know they're very different so there's no telling what my next kitten will do (I'm planning to get one in a year or two). Just saying there are different people and different cats... to each their own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats