Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
" Many cats develop serious behavioral problems if they are de-clawed, such as peeing outside litter boxes and such"

Not true. Maybe occasionally they'll develop behavioral problems, if they're aggressive animals to begin with. I'm not sure I've EVER heard of a cat peeing outside a litter box BECAUSE it was declawed (and the first three letters of my screen name are......).
I've heard MORE about the trouble the claws cause in the household then I ever have about declawing them causing a problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,522 times
I won't lie to you...

It's a NASTY procedure. I don't EVER recommend it standardly to a client...and no offense, the vet that truly recommends it standardly is, um, wrong. Some cats (I have one) never claw anything they're not supposed to, and some (I have three) NEVER stop...

BUT, pain control has come a long way. Kudos to the vet that keeps them for 2 days. Anyone that takes home a declaw without pain killers should go back and get them.

I work full time, have two toddlers....and four cats (three declawed). I do NOT have the time to sit around all day stopping them from clawing everything. To expect someone to discipline a cat 24/7 is somewhat crazy. Should I tell someone that doesn't want their couch and house destroyed they just shouldn't have a cat? The cats I have have brought me endless joy (well, not endless, they're little boogers sometimes, but a darned lot), and have helped me get through some really lonely times in my life. If someone comes and gives me an ultimatum to amputate the toes, or euthanize....I'm getting out my pain killers and having them sign a consent form. Is it risk free? No. No surgery is. Is it pain free? Absolutely not, but good vets will give you good pain killers. Is it worthwhile? If it gives a cat a good, loving, long term home, absolutely. In an ideal world, we would not declaw cats, definately...but our world is far from ideal (and overrun with unwanted cats).

What I REALLY hate is people that shop around for the cheapest declaw. HELLLLLOOOOO?!?!? You get what you pay for!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 AM

550 posts, read 2,826,280 times
I just don't understand when people say "they aren't in any pain"...........
And you know this how????
Animals don't vocalize pain like humans.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I just don't understand when people say "they aren't in any pain"...........
And you know this how????
Animals don't vocalize pain like humans.
I would never say the cat is not in any pain...no they can't say they are in pain but that doens't mean they are not...I would NEVER allow an animal to just suffer no matter what the central reason for it...

I can't tell you the times I have heard my rescue kitty, Rufus screaming in pain when Salem would claw him...Rufus was found abandoned with no claws, he couldn't protect himself, it was enough to bring me to tears at times...

Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
I wish declawing was illegal in the US- it is a cruel practice that most other civilized countries have already banned. If you can't have a cat with it's claws, you shouldn't have a cat.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I won't lie to you...

It's a NASTY procedure. I don't EVER recommend it standardly to a client...and no offense, the vet that truly recommends it standardly is, um, wrong. Some cats (I have one) never claw anything they're not supposed to, and some (I have three) NEVER stop...

BUT, pain control has come a long way. Kudos to the vet that keeps them for 2 days. Anyone that takes home a declaw without pain killers should go back and get them.

I work full time, have two toddlers....and four cats (three declawed). I do NOT have the time to sit around all day stopping them from clawing everything. To expect someone to discipline a cat 24/7 is somewhat crazy. Should I tell someone that doesn't want their couch and house destroyed they just shouldn't have a cat? The cats I have have brought me endless joy (well, not endless, they're little boogers sometimes, but a darned lot), and have helped me get through some really lonely times in my life. If someone comes and gives me an ultimatum to amputate the toes, or euthanize....I'm getting out my pain killers and having them sign a consent form. Is it risk free? No. No surgery is. Is it pain free? Absolutely not, but good vets will give you good pain killers. Is it worthwhile? If it gives a cat a good, loving, long term home, absolutely. In an ideal world, we would not declaw cats, definately...but our world is far from ideal (and overrun with unwanted cats).

What I REALLY hate is people that shop around for the cheapest declaw. HELLLLLOOOOO?!?!? You get what you pay for!!!
First reasonbale post I have seen so for.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I wish declawing was illegal in the US- it is a cruel practice that most other civilized countries have already banned. If you can't have a cat with it's claws, you shouldn't have a cat.
Yep. alot of countries eat cats and don't declaw then,

Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Yep. alot of countries eat cats and don't declaw then,
And the point of this post is what, exactly? Sound like defending barbaric acts with other barbaric acts. There are countries and cultures in this world that practice infanticide, child prostitution, slavery, female g enital mutilation, and others that let children live on the streets (alone) from infancy. Just because the practices exist in some cultures still doesn't make it right.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
And the point of this post is what, exactly? Sound like defending barbaric acts with other barbaric acts. There are countries and cultures in this world that practice infanticide, child prostitution, slavery, female g enital mutilation, and others that let children live on the streets (alone) from infancy. Just because the practices exist in some cultures still doesn't make it right.
Yeah so, whats your point??

Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Yeah so, whats your point??
I asked you first....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats