Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times

Advertisements

The last little kitty my big dog found in the backyard about 3 mths ago (some of you may remember she had a broken femur), had her spaying on May 18th, by the same vet who takes care of all my other pets (long history with him). I noticed that she wasn't getting back to her usual perky and playful self quickly enough and she was going to the litterbox constantly and not really letting anything out. This past Saturday we went back to the vet...As he was "feeling" her stomach, she squirted him big time. More antibiotics and gave me two cans of A/D and to take her back yesterday afternoon.

By Monday, she was jumping and climbing and chasing the other cats just like pre-surgery but I thought she was STILL "trying" too frequently and in and out of the littebox.

When we went back to the vet yesterday, she squirted again when he examined her but he said her bladder felt fine and it wasn't full BUT he made me leave her overnight because he wants to "see" the litterbox and said that he may need to place a catheter if he thinks there's any blockage.

I felt HORRIBLE having to leave her there and I didn't want her locked up in some cage and alone all night. She sleeps with me (along with most of the others too).

Does it sound like a reasonable plan to have left her there and that she might have a more serious problem???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
The last little kitty my big dog found in the backyard about 3 mths ago (some of you may remember she had a broken femur), had her spaying on May 18th, by the same vet who takes care of all my other pets (long history with him). I noticed that she wasn't getting back to her usual perky and playful self quickly enough and she was going to the litterbox constantly and not really letting anything out. This past Saturday we went back to the vet...As he was "feeling" her stomach, she squirted him big time. More antibiotics and gave me two cans of A/D and to take her back yesterday afternoon.

By Monday, she was jumping and climbing and chasing the other cats just like pre-surgery but I thought she was STILL "trying" too frequently and in and out of the littebox.

When we went back to the vet yesterday, she squirted again when he examined her but he said her bladder felt fine and it wasn't full BUT he made me leave her overnight because he wants to "see" the litterbox and said that he may need to place a catheter if he thinks there's any blockage.

I felt HORRIBLE having to leave her there and I didn't want her locked up in some cage and alone all night. She sleeps with me (along with most of the others too).

Does it sound like a reasonable plan to have left her there and that she might have a more serious problem???
Yes sometimes to see the behavior you are describing the vet needs to keep the pet to be sure the diagnosis is correct. I know you felt bad about leaving her but it is for her own good. My cat got (and I don't remember the real term) crystals or small stones in his urine that would cause irritation and blockage. I remember I had to give him a low ash diet and a supplement to prevent it from happening again. But I'm sure that the vet will figure this out for you and that will make you and your kitty feel better, even if it means having her away from you for a night or two. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Yes sometimes to see the behavior you are describing the vet needs to keep the pet to be sure the diagnosis is correct. I know you felt bad about leaving her but it is for her own good. My cat got (and I don't remember the real term) crystals or small stones in his urine that would cause irritation and blockage. I remember I had to give him a low ash diet and a supplement to prevent it from happening again. But I'm sure that the vet will figure this out for you and that will make you and your kitty feel better, even if it means having her away from you for a night or two. Good luck!
hmmmmm. Thanks. I miss her so much and don't want HER to feel like she was abandoned. I can't wait to pick her up this afternoon. She turned out to be such a great kitty!

I hope the vet does figure it out because I'm not leaving her again today. He's extremely busy, the office is always packed, he's reasonably priced and you never hear anything negative about him when we're chit chatting in the waiting area but sometimes I feel like he's just too quick and doesn't hold my hand enough!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I'll be the first to commend your vet with wanting her to stay overnight and not overlook anything. Several years ago I know a vet that merely shrugged something off and 48 hours later the dog wound up dying, wasn't urinary realted, but you get the gist.

Let us know how she's doing would you?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
hmmmmm. Thanks. I miss her so much and don't want HER to feel like she was abandoned. I can't wait to pick her up this afternoon. She turned out to be such a great kitty!

I hope the vet does figure it out because I'm not leaving her again today. He's extremely busy, the office is always packed, he's reasonably priced and you never hear anything negative about him when we're chit chatting in the waiting area but sometimes I feel like he's just too quick and doesn't hold my hand enough!
Hope your kitty is doing better. I had a cat several years ago with Feline Cystitis wich turned out to be crystals.

Feline Cystitis [HomeVet© Natural Pet Care]

Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Hey....
I got home a little while ago after going to pick up Tabatha.
She's OK.. The vet did X-rays and everything is fine. No need to catheterize BUT guess what? She's full of hairballs! I saw them all on the x-ray.
He gave me Laxatone... half a syringe once a day for 3 days then 3 times a week for a month.

What I question though is that how come she didn't have this problem BEFORE the surgery, at least she didn't show this "trying" to urinate frequency.

She does eat well and she had started running around as usual so let's hope it's only the hairballs!

Thanks everybody for your comments. I know I can get lots of good advice here. :-)

Ahhhhhhh, now, hopefully, we don't have to see the vet again for another two months or so, when the other 4 cats are due for all their shots.

Actually, I'll have to go soon again. My little dog needs his teeth cleaned and he'll be due for his annual shots!
Then the cats' shots.
Then the following month, the big dog's shots.

So it looks like I'm covered through about September, barring any "unforseen circumstances"... Geez, I need a breather.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Glad to hear the good news about Tabatha.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious. Let me tell you Laxatone is awesome! Which my dealer still carried it, have a hard time ordering it anymore.

I will never forget seeing my first hairball ever at work, wasn't sure to list under stool or comments or make a new category for alien

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Good that she is ok. I have had two male cats develop the crystals, and it is no fun.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM

183 posts, read 1,134,256 times
I have had a heck of a time with this! My 4 y.o. male cat had what was diagnosed as a bladder infection. He took antibiotics, but later developed a blockage. He was hospitalized and they had to do a catheder to clear out the block, but during his time of discomfort he did go on a few areas of carpet and once on the couch; i treated these areas, but after he came home, he still hasn't been himself, and he went back and peed on the couch again today! I was told by the vet that he is fine now and that is is now a behavioral issue. Anybody have experience with something like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats