Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM

331 posts, read 603,272 times

Advertisements

I believe my cat(1.5 years old) is suffering from a urinary tract infection. He is displaying the signs & symptoms (ie: not eating much, barely drinking water, walks as if in pain, no energy, not playful, "dripping" urine, cleaning genitals often **& in case it matters he was fixed in Feb of this year**, etc.) ..is there any over the counter medications I can give him to relieve the pain? Is there any home remedies to help him heal without having to make a trip to the vet?

Any serious & helpful ideas or suggestions welcome!

Please only comment to be considerate & helpful....Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
I'll try. Your cat is suffering. You have no choice but to get him to the vet and ignore all PMs trying to sell you some kind of herbal or alternative cure. Giving him relief from pain will not cure the infection and can be deadly. Many human pain killers are not safe for cats.

There are no home remedies that take the place of antibiotics. If he should block, he will die a horrible death in less than 24 hours.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'll try. Your cat is suffering. You have no choice but to get him to the vet and ignore all PMs trying to sell you some kind of herbal or alternative cure. Giving him relief from pain will not cure the infection and can be deadly. Many human pain killers are not safe for cats.

There are no home remedies that take the place of antibiotics. If he should block, he will die a horrible death in less than 24 hours.

^^^^ He could die from this?!?! Wow, we'll be heading to the vet asap....Thanks!!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times
I'm glad you hopped on this so quickly. Let us know what the vet says. Til then, we will keep you and your little buddy in our thoughts.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Yes, this is an emergency situation. And the death is a horrible horrible way to die. All paws crossed for your boy, please keep us posted.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
I believe my cat(1.5 years old) is suffering from a urinary tract infection. He is displaying the signs & symptoms (ie: not eating much, barely drinking water, walks as if in pain, no energy, not playful, "dripping" urine, cleaning genitals often **& in case it matters he was fixed in Feb of this year**, etc.) ..is there any over the counter medications I can give him to relieve the pain? Is there any home remedies to help him heal without having to make a trip to the vet?

Any serious & helpful ideas or suggestions welcome!

Please only comment to be considerate & helpful....Thanks in advance!!
Yes there are lots. Get Anitra Fraizier's Natural Cat book and refer to and follow it OFTEN like I do. Your cat will THANK YOU IMMENSELY for it. All of her suggestions work well and I have had years of experience with male cats with urinary tract conditions which can be deadly in a male cat.Needless to say I may have saved tens of thousands of dollars in veterinary bills since using primarily natural medicine.

The sooner people wake up and realize that conventional medical practitioners, whether for people or animals, UNLESS they specialized in NATUROPATHIC medicine were strictly trained in Allopathic Medicine which is geared strictly for acute care and covering up symptoms with drugs and surgery, the quicker they will stop wasting their money trying to get answers and find solutions from the wrong kind of doctor who has never received the training necessary to provide help with wellness or recovery from chronic and degenerative disease. Naturopathic medical practitioners on the other hand study the immune system and how to strengthen it and help the body fight off and get rid of diseases on its own. They learn how to detect the underlying causes of a patient's disease and ways to get rid of them...and the disease permanently

First of all NEVER FEED DRY FOOD! Cats must get most of their water from their food.
Secondly, it is too late now but your cat probably was neutered at too young an age. That is what happened with mine. Switch to a high quality canned food without grains that is fit for human consumption or better yet research a good brand of supplements and a recipe you can whip up batches of homemade food and freeze them and unthaw as needed. I do both.

If it were my cat I would give the best brand of Colloidal Silver ie Sovereign Silver or Futurebiotics 10 ppms strength I could find and give the what is recommended for children or infants. It is a liquid that tastes like water so it is easy to administer. Just squirt a few drops at a time in his cheek 3-4 times a day if you can. I would also mix in some Bach Flower Remedy - "Rescue Remedy". Feline Urologic Syndrome is caused party by stress and the Rescue Remedy helps patients deal with stress. Part of how the condition manifests is that crystals form in the urinary tract and can completely block it in male cats and kill them. The crystals form when the body pH doesn't have a chance to swing back and forth between acid and alkaline. That happens when food is left down all the time. Leave food down for no more than 30 mins at meal time and then take UP the dish. Lastly, when my cat used to get attacks, I would give him a dose of about 500 mgs of vitamin C dissolved in water in his cheek. That would usually do the trick.

The last time he had an attack was 6 or 7 years ago and he was running back and forth to the litter box trying to pee. Of course it was a weekend and at Midnight. I called the vet after I did all of the above. By the time they paged the vet and he came to the phone I explained what had happened but told him that now my cat was sleeping. (The Rescue Remedy had kicked in and my cat had curled up to take a sleep.) The vet said if the cat was calm enough to sleep then it must not be much of an emergency and not to wake him and wait until the morning. The next AM I checked his litter and there was a normal pee in the box.

Now- a- days even conventional vets agree that Vit C does wonders for clearing the urinary tract.

For pain there are homeopathics (which is different than herbs or vitamins). Look at this for example.http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.j...pathy+for+pain The bottles generally say what problem the homeopathic addresses. I would get a better brand at a health food store though. You also would probably find a homeopathic for the urinary tract would be good. Homeopathic usually come as sugar pills or pellets. You can crush them between two spoons and slide the powder off the spoon into the mouth. Again this is not hard to give because it doesn't taste bad.

Last edited by emilybh; 09-11-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Yes there are lots. Get Anitra Fraizier's Natural Cat book and refer to and follow it OFTEN like I do. Your cat will THANK YOU IMMENSELY for it. All of her suggestions work well and I have had years of experience with male cats with urinary tract conditions which can be deadly in a male cat.Needless to say I may have saved tens of thousands of dollars in veterinary bills since using primarily natural medicine.

The sooner people wake up and realize that conventional medical practitioners, whether for people or animals, UNLESS they specialized in NATUROPATHIC medicine were strictly trained in Allopathic Medicine which is geared strictly for acute care and covering up symptoms with drugs and surgery, the quicker they will stop wasting their money trying to get answers and find solutions from the wrong kind of doctor who has never received the training necessary to provide help with wellness or recovery from chronic and degenerative disease. Naturopathic medical practitioners on the other hand study the immune system and how to strengthen it and help the body fight off and get rid of diseases on its own. They learn how to detect the underlying causes of a patient's disease and ways to get rid of them...and the disease permanently

First of all NEVER FEED DRY FOOD! Cats must get most of their water from their food.
Secondly, it is too late now but your cat probably was neutered at too young an age. That is what happened with mine. Switch to a high quality canned food without grains that is fit for human consumption or better yet research a good brand of supplements and a recipe you can whip up batches of homemade food and freeze them and unthaw as needed. I do both.

If it were my cat I would give the best brand of Colloidal Silver ie Sovereign Silver or Futurebiotics 10 ppms strength I could find and give the what is recommended for children or infants. It is a liquid that tastes like water so it is easy to administer. Just squirt a few drops at a time in his cheek 3-4 times a day if you can. I would also mix in some Bach Flower Remedy - "Rescue Remedy". Feline Urologic Syndrome is caused party by stress and the Rescue Remedy helps patients deal with stress. Part of how the condition manifests is that crystals form in the urinary tract and can completely block it in male cats and kill them. The crystals form when the body pH doesn't have a chance to swing back and forth between acid and alkaline. That happens when food is left down all the time. Leave food down for no more than 30 mins at meal time and then take UP the dish. Lastly, when my cat used to get attacks, I would give him a dose of about 500 mgs of vitamin C dissolved in water in his cheek. That would usually do the trick.

The last time he had an attack was 6 or 7 years ago and he was running back and forth to the litter box trying to pee. Of course it was a weekend and at Midnight. I called the vet after I did all of the above. By the time they paged the vet and he came to the phone I explained what had happened but told him that now my cat was sleeping. (The Rescue Remedy had kicked in and my cat had curled up to take a sleep.) The vet said if the cat was calm enough to sleep then it must not be much of an emergency and not to wake him and wait until the morning. The next AM I checked his litter and there was a normal pee in the box.

Now- a- days even conventional vets agree that Vit C does wonders for clearing the urinary tract.

For pain there are homeopathics (which is different than herbs or vitamins). Look at this for example.homeopathy for pain - BuyCheapr.com The bottles generally say what problem the homeopathic addresses. I would get a better brand at a health food store though. You also would probably find a homeopathic for the urinary tract would be good. Homeopathic usually come as sugar pills or pellets. You can crush them between two spoons and slide the powder off the spoon into the mouth. Again this is not hard to give because it doesn't taste bad.
^^^ Wow thanks for all the info!!!! Hopefully won't be a next time, but good information to have on hand....Thanks so much!!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, this is an emergency situation. And the death is a horrible horrible way to die. All paws crossed for your boy, please keep us posted.

^^^^Sorry for not posting back in a few days.

Result: I got home from work that evening and my sweet boy met me at the door, had eaten all his food, and a good amount of water and when i checked his litter box, although there wasn't his usual amount of waste there was some in there (since it's back to normal). He was jumpin, playin and his wild pain in the neck(sometimes) self!!!! We were sooo happy that he was feeling better. I cancelled the vet appointment.. and have continued to monitor him and how he's acting. When i called the vet she told me that if he was back to "acting" ""normal"" and was eating again, then it was probably due to stress, and he was healthy enough to fight it off, but if there were ANY signs then to bring him in immediately!!
So we are back on track...so it seems....YAY!!!!

Thank you all for your help and concern for my kitten!!!! What a great group we have on here!! We thanks you very much!!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:

Result: I got home from work that evening and my sweet boy met me at the door, had eaten all his food,..........
Thank you for updating us.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,398 times
Quote:

Result: I got home from work that evening and my sweet boy met me at the door, had eaten all his food, and a good amount of water and when i checked his litter box, although there wasn't his usual amount of waste there was some in there (since it's back to normal). He was jumpin, playin and his wild pain in the neck(sometimes) self!!!! We were sooo happy that he was feeling better. I cancelled the vet appointment.. and have continued to monitor him and how he's acting. When i called the vet she told me that if he was back to "acting" ""normal"" and was eating again, then it was probably due to stress, and he was healthy enough to fight it off, but if there were ANY signs then to bring him in immediately!!
So we are back on track...so it seems....YAY!!!!

Thank you all for your help and concern for my kitten!!!! What a great group we have on here!! We thanks you very much!!!!
Just keep a close eye on him- the concern is that he could block, which as others have said is an emergency situation. Sometimes it isn't always obvious right away when that happens. Watch for vomiting or vocalizing- even if he's a talker, they usually sound different when they start to block. Kind of a quivering cry.

But hopefully it was just a random one-off event and he'll continue feeling better.

If he isn't on wet food, now would be a really good time to consider making the switch. If he's been stress, it can cause flares of FLUTD, but the condition itself is permanent. Switching to wet can help with all the various urinary tract disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats