Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,792,597 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Can stress cause a uti in cats? My cat, Demon, is on special diet food specifically designed to prevent urinary tract infections. The last uti he had was about 6 months ago and that is when he was put on the food. Well, anyways, my girlfriends mom was having radiation treatment and couldnt be around her dog and so we are now watching her Chihuahua for the next few days. Since the dog got here, Demon has stopped drinking water and using the litter box (3 days now). I told my girlfriend the dog needs to go back home asap because I have heard cats getting uti's from too much change and stress all at once. She refused to do so and now here are the early warning signs that Demon is having another infection. I recognize the symptoms because he has had this twice before. Both infections, I believe, are stress related. Has anybody heard of this? Anyways, she will be taking the dog back or I will despite what they want. Hopefully things infection wise can be reversed before a full blown uti happens.

Last edited by jaredC; 09-06-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 PM

11,383 posts, read 19,822,471 times
PS did I read that right, your cat has not urinted in 3 days? THIS IS N EMERGENCY. If he has not urinate three days he needs to see a vet immeitely. RIGHT NOW. His baldder will burst.

Yes stress can cause UTIs in cats.

To reduce the chances of repeat problems, make sure he is eating a WET diet only.

I cannot stress this enough, your male cat need to be on a WET (canned) diet.

Please read the information in this link

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,762,512 times
He needs to go to the emergency vet ASAP if he has not used his box in three days. I have a cat like that and stress can be a factor in causing blockages. His more recent one happened during a move. UTIs/blockages can be deadly.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,792,597 times
Hes been using the litter box but not as much as he used to before the dog came by. Sorry, didnt mean completely stopped drinking and using the litter box, just has been doing so much less. But he has been showing symptoms of another uti.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,992 times
My 3 cats have had urinary infections before. It is expensive but they are living creatures and need the medical attention.
A lot of people complain that because they don't have health insurance why should they spend more money on their cats vets bill than they ever would on themselves at a hospital. If you cant afford an animal, THEN DONT GET ONE! I get so tired of people saying they cant afford vet bills because they lost their jobs or something else came up and don't have the money.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hes been using the litter box but not as much as he used to before the dog came by. Sorry, didnt mean completely stopped drinking and using the litter box, just has been doing so much less. But he has been showing symptoms of another uti.
Your cat is in distress. Go get him/her to a vet asap.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,762,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That can be fatal in less than 24 hours. So even if he didn't completely stop the infection can travel up to the kidneys and cause damage or failure (death).

Cat Urinary Tract Problems and Infections

Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM

402 posts, read 2,216,259 times
How old is the cat? Most cats below the age of 10 don't get an infection, they get a non-infectious inflammation of the bladder (and yes, if it gets extreme they can "block" and it can become lethal). And, stress can contribute.

Water, water, water, and maybe a little xanax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats