Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
It depends. Some vitamins are passed out harmlessly in the urine if someone takes too much. Others can cause toxicity if there's an overdose. You really have to know what you're dealing with.

I have 2 big problems with antibiotics being used over the counter. The first is that you can harm the patient. I have a relative who nearly died (the er nurses words, not mine) after incorrectly using an antibiotic. She had a case of strep throat and discontinued her antibiotics when she started feeling better. As a result, the stronger bacteria that survived the treatment multiplied like crazy and she ended up with a massive infection in her bloodstream. Also, not all antibiotics treat all bacteria. If you are using the wrong one, then it can delay the treatment that the patient needs.

On a related note, people using antibiotics incorrectly contributes to a problem that is huge in human medicine and we're even starting to see in veterinary medicine. Antibiotic resistance isn't something most people need to think about on a daily basis. It's easy to ignore. However, when your loved one (human or animal) needs high-powered antibiotics that can damage the liver and/or kidneys to treat a bacterial infection that should easily have been treated with something much milder...then it becomes very real. People who treat their viral colds with antibiotics and who treat their animals without knowing the correct dose and duration of treatment contribute to this problem.
Virtual reps for this excellent clear and concise post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 29,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'm very glad to hear that you didn't have any adverse affects. However antibiotics are not necessarily harmless, especially when not used correctly. I stand by my statement that it's a bad idea to use them without a prescription and it's particularly irresponsible to encourage others to do the same.
I have been using Amoxicillin for years. I am what some people might call an educated consumer. when I go to the doctor, most cases, I go knowing exactly which prescription will be prescribed. going to the doctor to get a prescription for me, is most of the time, just a formality.

I can completely understand the dangers of people misusing antibiotics. However, if I can get the same medication that I know will be prescribed to me, at a fraction of the cost; you bet, I will consider it.
Having been laid off recently and not having health insurance, I cannot afford the formality of asking a doctor for a prescription that I know he will prescribe anyways. I cannot afford to pay for the doctor visit, nor the full retail price on the prescription which is at least 10 times more expensive then what I can find labeled as a pet medication (which is exactly the same medication)

Fish Mox (at least the variety that I am considering purchasing) is USP - Pharmaceutical Grade - It meets pharmaceutical standards for human consumption.

I appreciate the concern you have, but I feel that sometimes, with enough education I can make informed decisions about my own health. I also am cognizant of and accept the risks.

I ran across these forums doing research for Amoxicillin, so, this will likely be my first and last post.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
For my entire life, I've been getting bronchitis every winter. It was worse when I lived on the East Coast, where it was colder. Every doctor that I went to would give me the same prescription - Amoxicillin 500mg, to be taken 3x per day for 10 days, along with the cough medicine, Phengern w/Codeine. It the ONLY medication that will work on me. I have been given Erthromycin and Tetracline, and neither of them work - only the Penicillin family.

I do not have medical insurance, but since I'm in San Diego, I can buy medication over the counter in Mexico and self treat myself. I've been doing this for years. I also have a doctor that I go to on occasion that gives me a discount for paying cash. I go to him for the cough medicine prescription with Codeine in it if I need it.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 28,585 times
Smile Cat mox = FishMox

I just ordered this for my cat three days. Fish Mox - since they're capsules, it's easy to put in my cat's food, and they had it in 500mg strength. The same antibiotic we all use. EntirelyPets.com is where I got mine. $11.95 for 30 capsules for 500MG Amox - They also have medicine to treat tape worms in cats/dogs, and until recently you couldn't get it without going to a vet.

~ H

quote=newmex;11834367]Oops... not fro cats, but for cats!

I open up my latest Drs. Foster & Smith catalog for cats, and they have a non-scrip antibiotic for aquariums called Fish-Mox that also can be used for cats. 100 caps at 250mg each. I was told that I need to consult my vet as to how much to administer to a 14 lb cat.

It's good for pink eye, respiratory or bite infections in cats and dogs.

It's also available online at Amazon, but PetSmart and Pet Supplies Plus didn't have it.

Has anyone heard of or used Fish-Mox on their cat?[/quote]

Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 28,580 times
I did a cat rescue and recieved a lot of cats with a upper respetory infection. we went to the vets and ammoxicillin was $20. this did one treatment for the cats. we could not afford to pay 420. for each treatment so we checked on the internet and bought fish ammox. and used this to treat the cats. it worked very well and was alot less for the same thing. petcarerx has the instructions on how to treat a pet. I would not use it on a person.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I have it in the frig now and all they do is put "Aqua Mox" paper label over the USP Amoxicillan pharmacy bottle. I get it on Amazon.com for $23 for 100 capsules.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 67,230 times
You can use fish antibiotics for cats its completely safe if given in the right dose amounts, visit this website here;
FREE Cat Care Tips - Heavens Safe Haven
It explains it all.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 24,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
as a survivor of an mrsa (methicilliin resistant staph. aureus) infection, i can not agree with the above post more...... the secondary staph infection was FAR FAR FAR worse than the initial major hip surgery i underwent....... i REFUSE antibiotics for myself or my pets unless it is known without a doubt that a bacterial infection is being treated..... drives me absolutely insane to see over-anxious parents rushing their kids to the pediatrician for every little sniffle and cold and then coming home with yet another prescription for amoxicillin or whatever the antibiotic-du-jour is........

See this is exactly the concept some people don't realize. mrsa. Another, fish antibiotics are for fish. I don't say this lightly. I know what it is like to be on a tight budget, nothing saved, hand to mouthing it day by day but having all my needs and my family needs met, catching up on credit, building it so slow, trying to just understand why not fish antibiotic for my dear friend cat who has had a behavior problem urinating on the wall, lol, off and on for years, a cat that usually uses the box, a cat who has never had an antibiotic, is 13-15 years old, has white teeth, I have had her ten years, she has never been sick, never had a problem one, until now she has got the urine issue going where the urine is dark. Vets cost more than I can afford,don't qualify for a loan,can't get credit. Why not fish antibiotic? Even what if for ten years she's had an off again on again urinary issue no one realized in their ignorance that was infection related that no one knew until they saw blood? What if a dose of fish antibiotic cured her.

Because. The F.D.A. says it's for fish and prescription is required for cats. Because, cats are mammals. Because, cats can make you a sick person if you go giving cats antibiotics for fish. Cats, are used in medical research only the U.S.D.A can approve the cats being used in. The U.S.D.A works to assure food safety. Do you understand? It is basically useless to disagree. Cats are not fish. Cats are not people. Bloody cat urine doesn't always mean infection. Because, cats get urinary issues like blood in the urine so red you might just think kidney failure, but give it a week, change the food to a kidney diet, keep the food picked up minimize intake and provide plenty of water and the blood is just gone sometimes. Because cats really do require medical tests to ingest any antibiotic. Because, fish antibiotic could kill you and your cat. Because. Because. One more time, because. Because, just don't feed yourself fish medication and don't feed things indicated for fish, that are not fish, fish antibiotics.

I know how easy it is to say take it to a vet, take it to the pound, when it's every bit all you can do to keep the cat current on vaccinations and legally registered, if you even know it is required where you live. Pet medicine is expensive. Not everyone has a college education, a great job and a savings account. I know how devastating it is to think oh my, I didn't know that coulda been a uti all these years and not just comical cat antics, oh, oh my dear cat, hoping it lives if it urinates blood, totally blaming my ignorance on not catching it sooner, not having the extra money right at this moment to take my cat in to have the full works medical testing and not gonna just give her away, because stress can induce bloody urine in urinary syndromes,she's old,still active, my friend, still eating, drinking and using the litter box. No, I am not gonna just give her something for fish, she's not an experiment, giving her a fish antibiotic would be making her an experiment. I adopted her to give her a long life without experiment and she's been an awesome friend to our family. I know antibiotics are hard on organs. If there was a vet that could take twenty bucks a month I'd take her there. She has a vet. I called the office. They don't take payments. You have to get credit. They are however great moral support, with their answers and integrity.

Fish can tolerate levels of lead that could be toxic to cats. There is no way to safely dose anything but a fish with fish antibiotic. You do not know exactly what trace metals are in fish antibiotics because they are safe for fish. Really, you don't. I have never given my cat a med that wasn't for it. I have never given it anything that could hurt it's delicate system. Cats are unique creatures when it comes to their blood. That proplyene glycol in that e cigarette you might be vaping could cause heinz bodies on the cats blood cells giving it anemia. The list goes on and on of things people do that they don't always realize can effect a cat.

If you have ever given your cat an antibiotic not prescribed for it, you have to let the vet check it's blood and urine, you don't need to just pick the food up unless it's meal time and leave the water or wait a week for it to sort out, you need to go on and take it to the vet, because you could have a cat that could have a zoonotic disease even. Bacteria mutates. Have you not known that? I have never yelled at my cat or scolded it for being an ignorant cat with cat antics, it's a cat. My cat understands no when said softly never have I yelled at it. The funny thing is, cats adopt you into their lives even though you adopt,buy or have it gifted to you. How could someone yell at their cat? Hitting it is unfathomable to me. I have never.

See, so while my cats urine is lightening up just in the past few hours,all I had to do was take the food bowl, hide it from the cat, put the water bowl in it's place leave the water always out and now a faucet dripping and things are looking up for her. First time I've had to do this. She's never over eaten, always had food out. I know it's unnerving when you have a cat and your worried that if you do not take it to the vet if it sneezes you might be a miscreant. Maybe if it has a chronic cough you should, because it could have herpes. But many urinary disorders have unexplainable causes and I did not sign my cat up for a study.

My point is, don't just diagnose your cat,even if it's bloody urine. Don't just give it an antibiotic for fish. It's a cat, not a fish.

Just offering support. I only quoted,because, mrsa is a serious disease and not the only thing antibiotic resistance can cause. It'll be ok, just do what's right and not what's wrong.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 67,230 times
Thumbs up Fish antibiotics

[b]Fish antibiotics are the EXACT SAME antibiotics you would need a script for from any regular doctor or veterinarian.

They are only (LABELED) or (MARKETED) for fish.
The truth is that FISH MOX is the exact same drug as Amoxicillin your vet or human doctor would give you.

How do I know this ??? Because my Vet that I work for told me this and also I asked my (human) doctor and both said the same thing.

I also have taken FISH MOX when I had a bad toothache and could not get a dentist appt right away and it cleared my infected tooth right up !! No bad side effects either!!

I have also given fish antibiotics to my rescue cats and they got nothing but well.

In short ... FISH ANTIBIOTICS are safe to use on animals and humans alike simply because they are the EXACT SAME antibiotics you would obtain from your own doctor or veterinarian.

Also, my vet taught me how to mix fish mox for my rescue cats into a liquid suspension and dose them with it when they are sick and it quickly cleared up my cats URI the stuff works great !!!

Last edited by vettechone; 05-23-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
What you fail to understand is that antibiotics should not be used this way.

A positive diagnosis of BACTERIAL infection, and the TYPE of bacterial infection should be diagnosed by a healthcare professional before using any antibiotics.

In addition. OTC drugs are not subject to the same FDA regulations as prescription drugs. Now I am no fan of the FDA, but I surely would be wary of putting anything that was sold over the counter or non-prescription over the internet, for fish, into my cats.

You don't know what that bottle of "medicine" has been subjected to. You don't know if it is sterile, or if it sat in a hot warehouse for months or years. You don't even know if what you are buying and using is even what the product says it is.

It's quite simple to open a bottle labeled amoxicillin, put something else in it, slap a new "for fish" label over the old label, and sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats