Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times

Advertisements

All 3 of my 13 & 14 year old cats are getting very dandruffy.

I seem to remember someone on the cat forum recommending fish oil to help with this problem.

So, cat people, does fish oil help with dry skin/dandruff? Any harmful effects on cats to worry about? And how much to give them?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM

46 posts, read 224,538 times
Why yes, fish oil can most certainly help with dry skin!

I use Grizzly brand salmon oil. I would start out with a 1/2 pump on their food to avoid digestive trouble, and then work your way up to whatever the dosage might be on the label for their weight. My three guys are really shiny and sleek after a few months of it. After you open it, it's best to keep it in the fridge.

The only thing to consider is if your cats don't like fish or have some particular sensitivity to it. Usually allergies are reactions to the proteins, not the fats of an animal (as is my understanding). Good luck!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
All 3 of my 13 & 14 year old cats are getting very dandruffy.

I seem to remember someone on the cat forum recommending fish oil to help with this problem.

So, cat people, does fish oil help with dry skin/dandruff? Any harmful effects on cats to worry about? And how much to give them?

Thanks!
Make sure the oil is *NOT* loaded with viatmin-A. Fish aren't really a natural part of a cats diet. They're semi-desert creatures. PetsMart sells the type of oils cats need. Or you can use rendered poultry fat. Just remove it from chicken before you season it. The cat's coat will get soft and beautiful.

Let me guess, they're all on dry kibble?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 AM

46 posts, read 224,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Make sure the oil is *NOT* loaded with viatmin-A.

Oh, good point - make sure it's not cod liver oil, whatever you end up giving them!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
I use Welactin II, a fish oil made specifically for cats.

Chicken fat is nice too, but more work. When I boil chicken thighs for my one kitty who gets extra protein,I boil them with skin on, then boil the water way down then cool it, skim the fat and freeze it in ice cube trays. When they are frozen I store them in a freezer bag. Then I have a little fat to add to her meal now and then, too.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Kitty is right in mentioning kibble. After changing from all kibble to a 2/3 wet, 1/3 dry diet my girl's dandruff is much improved. Her coat feels softer too. My other cat that had been on a dry food diet is mostly white and I never noticed any dandruff, but he always had a lot of sleep in his eyes, and he's much improved too.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
yes, I give Sweet William a fish oil pill every day, same brand I take usually - except I look for the burpless, and I don't think he'd mind . It really has made a difference in his dandruff.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Let me guess, they're all on dry kibble?
Nope - they've been on dry in the a.m., canned or home cooked in the p.m. their entire lives - I mix up brands and never feed them any fish based kind. As they've gotten older they want more wet and less dry, so that's what I've been doing. Lately they've been eating Newman's Own canned in the a.m. & Fancy Feast canned in the pm.

I'm thinking it's a matter of getting old and of changing climates - although it's more humid here than it was up north. So, hmmm!

Anyway, thanks for the info about oily supplements, folks!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
other situations that cause flaky skin: dry air - william also always got a lot more flakes in the winter before I put the humidifier on, and ... stress. oh my! you should see how bad william and henry get at the vet. started setting off DH's allergies it was so bad, and he lives with both of them. Fish oil is the easy fix, and may be all that's needed. I'm just mentioning other causes that might be involved.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
other situations that cause flaky skin: dry air - william also always got a lot more flakes in the winter before I put the humidifier on, and ... stress. oh my! you should see how bad william and henry get at the vet. started setting off DH's allergies it was so bad, and he lives with both of them. Fish oil is the easy fix, and may be all that's needed. I'm just mentioning other causes that might be involved.

Good point. My dark-fur cats get flaky skin at the vet too, and I never see flakes on any of them at home. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats