Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,148,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnacolleen View Post
My daughter and her husband will take Princess Aorora for me as they have no cats and will love her for as long as she has.
Now THAT is a fairy-tale ending. Suitable for a princess no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,732 times
I agree.

However the vet is looking out for the safety of irresponsable peoples pets. He/she is also trying to save the cat suffering AND you from knowing how painful it is to loose cat like this.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 34,337 times
Thanks. You all have been great. I feel the vet that recommended her being put down was probably being realistic. I don't want to see her suffer either and I know the outlook may be bleak. In all his years of practice he said he only ever saw 1 cat who came back from being sick and went on to live for 6 years. But I took that story as hope or at least a thought that I needed to think some more. Princess Aurora is looking great today and in fact one would never know she is sick right now, but she will end her antibiotics next Wednesday and then we will see. I still sort of wish the test will be a fluke and when we have her retested it will be negative. Nieve maybe but you know how it is...

Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I certainly hope your wish comes true! She may end up just being a carrier, as mine was. Never showed any symptoms until late in life and did finally succumb to the disease. But I believe she was around 10. Of course, she would still need to be in a 1 cat household.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

I'm sorry

Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,044 times
This might not be the best place to post this, but my friend and I found two beautiful tortoise shell kittens. They are 7 weeks old and have tested positive for feline leukemia. We desperately need to find them homes. If any of you know someone willing to take these very happy playful girls in, we would be very appreciative. I am willing to take them anywhere in the US as long as they will be cared for.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 34,337 times
Hi. Wow, you are really a wonderful person! Keep in mind this is not a dealth sentence. My Princess is doing great. She has made a complete turn around. I am so grateful that I did not put her down as the first vet had recommended. I would have missed out on the most wonderful freind. She is fantastic and such fun to have around. I plan to get her retested as I think the vet was wrong or perhaps didn't know how to read the test right. Anyhow, I cannot take any more cats as I still have Princess and her two brothers and the momma cat. I did hear about a cat sanctuary in CA that is supposed to be wonderful. A lady at my vets office had been to the facility and said it was awesome. I think Castle was in its name but I am not sure and cannot remember it off the top of my head. I will try to do some research on it this week and get back to you. Good Luck and keep in mind miracles happen. I thought my princess would be dead by now. Donna Colleen

Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM

What about for People who move allot to areas with stray. wild outdoor cats or have low income?

I have had people ( outside of my control) come into my life with cats and mix them together BEFORE testing then only to learn (this time luckily) their cat ( 10+) was feline LV negative,

mom had a cat, previously that was found as a 1 to 2 year old tom, neutered and lived indoor/outdoor and before going to a vet, (we waited over a year).... and was introduced poorly, my cat fought with this cat many times... we later learned thankfully he was negative for Feline LV... but was it a true negative? Do the tests lie?

Should my cats if healthy just be Vaccinated for Feline LV regardless of indoor/outdoor status to be safe.

Bindi WAS vaccinated by the first booster but not the second follow up, I forgot to give it to him ( like a FIV vaccination does this result in a false positive for life to Feline LV?)

Note this happened a year or more before the new cat . and sense Bindis indoor and that the new cat tested fine, (after too long IMHO a wait to see a vet). we haven't done so sense.

Lately after learning about FIV and how in the late stages it will not give a for sure reading on tests and a pca friend of mine having dealt with Feline LV in two gifts- BYB- backyard bred- kittens ( thankfully not exposing my cat) AND finely..... thankfully landing into a living situation, where no strange cats are coming into my life anytime soon as roommates are banned from pets. I was wondering if testing both my cats for Feline LV and FIV ( the new cat wasn't FIV tested to my knowalge and even if he was being old could have it to the point where it wont read properly) would be a good idea.

Currently at the group home the fighter is an only indoor cat.... I will have him FIV tested in Feb... but should I also test for Feline LV to be safe. Moms cat was negative but was it a false negative or not?. Also she did have another cat along with the first for a time that was never tested- was PTS for house soiling and health issues/cancer/old.. ( cats came as a pair so I'd assume if one had it they would both have it)

Last edited by PantherPride; 12-13-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,675 times
I just wanted to add that a feline leukemia positive cat can live a good life or a short life. It's a gamble, and you'll never know until the end. I kept a throw away feline leukemia positive kitten named Sam. (He was found in the trash at the post office.) A vet also told me to put him to sleep. I couldn't do it. I was already attached to him at one month. He turned out to be the sweetest, gentlest and best companion cat I ever had. He lived for two years healthy and happy until the end when his body could no longer produce red blood cells and platelets anymore. If I had put him to sleep like the vet said at three months old, I would have never had the best furry friend I have ever had. I am telling you this so that you know that feline leukemia positive cats don't know they are sick, and they still love and feel and need companion ship. Think of what you will miss if you don't give the poor little kitten a chance. BTW, my mother's feline leukemia positive cat died at age 13.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
I work nights and I haven't been to sleep yet so I am reallllllllllllllly slow and maybe not comprehending your post. With that said...

Mom and all (but one) of the litter all tested negative...correct? If so, can't you have the one that tested positive retested elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats