Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,667 times

Advertisements

My beautiful Lucky was a carrier but never sick.He was only 3 and lived on a big outside porch as I have other cat and could not bring him in. All of the sudden I found him panting.I thought it was from the heat so I brought him in a spare room.I noticed that his pupils were unevenly dialated. I took him to the vet.He had a fever of 104.2.He thought he was bitten by something. We gave him steroids and a doxycycline. He weighed 12.4lbs. Yesterday I had to put my poor baby to sleep.When we did a blood count it was only 12. He could hardly stand and just wasted away . He stopped eating and went down to 9.2in less then 2 weeks. His temp dropped to 98.
Does anyone know of anything I could have done. Is there no progress in controlling this. They talked about Interfuron and blood transfusions but the vet said he felt he was to far gone since it hit so fast and furious. I am broken hearted.It hit this beautiful strong kitty so fast.Has anyone had something like this happen to their kitty?I thought he would have medical battles but i never dreamed it would hit so fast!

Last edited by SylviaRiggin; 09-25-2011 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 AM

42,080 posts, read 75,567,378 times
I'm so sorry about your cat. I lost my childhood cat to feline leukemia; it's heartbreaking when the disease takes its toll.

Lucky was indeed that when he chose you. You did everything you could; sadly, there are times when you can't do anything more than let him go.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM

11,341 posts, read 19,737,566 times
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Lucky.

You did all you could for him, feline leukemia is a terrible viral disease, always fatal. You gave him three happy years that he never would have had if it weren't for you.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 AM

2,121 posts, read 3,040,237 times
So sorry to hear about Lucky. As the others said, it's a terribe disease. You gave him love and a home. Please try to take comfort in that.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,487,721 times
I'm very sorry about Lucky. It must be heartbreaking to lose him so young, and so quickly. I don't think there's anything you could have done. For him, it's much better that he didn't have to suffer long. As Catsmom said, you gave him 3 happy years. Try to take comfort in that.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,213,352 times
I'm so sorry.
Once a feleuk cat "goes down" there's really nothing you can do that will prolong life or make the cat happy and well again. There was nothing you could have done, and I ditto that giving him three good years was very kind of you.

I just had to put mine down a couple of months ago....he also had herpes which was resistant to treatment. One day I noticed he didn't eat, the next he was depressed and deydrated....I let him go that day. I'd done my research and talked to my vet, and the consensus was let him carry on as long as he was a happy, functioning cat, then let him go when he got sick or crashed.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,064,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaRiggin View Post
My beautiful Lucky was a carrier but never sick.He was only 3 and lived on a big outside porch as I have other cat and could not bring him in........
How hot did the porch get in summer and how cold in winter? Was it heated and air-conditioned? Was he allowed outside? These kitties can't cope with things, with the stresses other cats can easily handle. They really need coddling to live long lives. And even then some of them don't make it. Very sad, but he's at peace now and not suffering anymore. It sounds like you did all you could do for him.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,425,675 times
I am so sorry for your loss of Lucky. It is a terrible disease and can progress very quickly. I can only offer my condolences.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,264,136 times
Feline leukemia in indeed a terrible disease. I've lost two cats to it over the years. There isn't much one can do when it happens.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,667 times
Thank You to ALL you wonderful,compassionate people. My heart is broken from the loss of Lucky. I thought he would be with me for along time and I miss him so much! Sylvia Riggin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats