Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times

Advertisements

O.K., let me start by saying we are going to the vet first thing in the morning.

When I got up this morning Buzz was having trouble walking. His hind end does not seem to want to participate, moreso on the right side than the left. He sits normally and is able to stretch both hind legs for cleaning. I can manipulate both legs without him tensing up and nothing seems to be out of place. I am an animal massage therapist and I am not getting bad reactions from muscle anywhere.

So I started thinking about the last few days and how he has not been jumping up onto my lap but climbing up using his front legs (comfy for me!). He does not get up anywhere else. His food is on the floor, he refuses to get on the bed with me, and he has not come downstairs but once or twice since he came here.

Then I went to clean the litter boxes. The poop machine has not pooped in over 24 hours. Buzz has IBD and poops many times a day. He is passing gas like he always does.

He ate his teaspoon of canned food this morning. He sat on the desk and cleaned my chin & said purr. He rolled in some catnip. He begged for and ate some treats. If I carry him to the litter box he will pee. If I put food/water in front of him he will eat/drink.

Now, if this had been a weekday we would already have been to the vet. Being Sunday and in a very rural area I had no vet to go to. There is an emergency vet over an hour away with good road conditions which we do not happen to have today. I don't think he is in distress.

Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on and how I might make him more comfortable until the vet opens in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
I'd been concerned about a spinal cord problem (disc, tumor etc). This would explain motor issues of lower extremities and bowel/bladder concerns. I would continue doing what you have been doing - carrying him to the litter box, avoiding having him jump/climb stairs. See the vet ASAP. Best of luck and I hope all goes well.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
I am so sorry about Buzz...I used to live in a rural area in the snowbelt region of upstate NY, so can sympathize with your situation! I wish I could be of more help here, but this is definitely for a vet. to advise...sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep him comfy until you take him to the vet in the morning. Good luck, I hope everything works out okay!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I don't know what it is. Some things that cause paralysis in the hind quarters include heart disease and embolism (blood clot) in the lower back. Let us know what the vet says.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

378 posts, read 1,652,501 times
What did you find out?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY50 View Post
What did you find out?
Not much.

His x-rays were beautiful, mine should look so good.

Nothing broken or dislocated and nothing growing on his spine.

They gave him an enema and some antibiotics and some steroids. I brought him home then went to work. I just got home & am very happy to report that he is walking! Not quite his normal walk, but walking none the less.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,652,501 times
That's great!!! Give that furface a huge kiss.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 190,617 times
Hi! Glad to hear Buzz is walking.

Has the vet checked his bloodwork? Hind leg weakness can be caused by low potassium, high phosphorus, anemia, heart problems, diabetes, kidney disease.

Hope he continues to get well soon!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM

They opted not to do bloodwork for whatever reason. I am glad they figured something out and that it is working so quickly.

Buzz thanks everyone for caring about him. He spent most of his life as a barn cat and is not used to anyone really caring.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
They gave him an enema and some antibiotics and some steroids. I brought him home then went to work. I just got home & am very happy to report that he is walking! Not quite his normal walk, but walking none the less.
Why did they do an enema? Was there poop stuck in there?

Don't steroids work for spine injuries sometimes?

I'm glad he is feeling better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats