Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

Meeko has had stomach problems since I got him, and he just seems to fade sometimes, he certainly isn't thriving like my other two rescues.

He rips out his fur and then swallows quite a bit of it. I can't police him every second of every day.

I've brought this up with two different vets, both basically ignored my idea, and my thought, that an x-ray would be a good idea. Neither one suggested an ultra sound either. Neither were proactive in looking for the reason he isn't doing well, one gave a Vague IBD diagnosis, no treatment plan ??? The other actually said "Well he doesn't look much different than he did a year ago when he first came in" Really? WTF!! She saw him a month after his "free" vet visits, at a different hospital/clinic, and $650 later, for a week of sub-Qs, deworming etc. He almost died during the first week he was out of the shelter and home with me. He hadn't been eating, or pooping, he was dehydrated, diarrhea from giardia, even now his third eye-lid is always visible to differing degrees in the corner of his eyes.

I was reminded just recently by a very generous and knowledgeable women, that I know my cats better than anyone and I shouldn't be allowed to be put off by one vet that doesn't like their patients owner to play doctor (when They don't have any useful ideas) or when the other vet is just indifferent to that particular animal. I now think Meeko's nervous behavior had him tagged as not worth saving.

So my question is this: Will an x-ray (is that the same as a radio graph) show an obstruction, and will the vet be able to tell the difference between food and hair in the stomach?

Should food be with held prior to an x-ray? and for how long?

Is barium necessary, and does it burn like whatever it is they give people for an MRI?

Am I wasting money by not just doing an ultra sound instead, it's going to be hard enough to afford to figure out his stomach problems so I'd like to be smart about the tests.

I found this article and it seems to be the most helpful, is it a sound and accurate foundation for me to be able to begin to understand any suggested tests or possible differential diagnosis?

Then there's a CBC, potassium and electrolytes ....

Diarrhea in Cats: Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment

He has had diarrhea on and off since I got him in Sept of 2011, yesterday I found red blood Inside the pile of feces (YES I KNOW, take him to a vet, I have, many times, I Have to get it right this time, he can't be in pain like this forever) I also found undigested fur. He does cough up hair balls and occasionally when his feces is firmer I find some hair in it, but I'm sure that not as much is coming out as is going in.

I had him shaved so he couldn't rip out his fur and eat it, bad idea, he needs to self mutilate, so he picked at his feet until I had to wrap them up in thick fleece, and wrap him up like a burrito and hold him tight for hours until he settled down.

Now I keep his fur trimmed, like a bang trim, so at least he doesn't ingest as much when I'm not there to pull it out of his mouth before he swallows it.

Besides all of this, he has started back in with attacking Alfredo, he was pretty good and the situation was ok for all of us, for about 2 months, then he told the animal communicator (we were not having a session, the AC and I were just talking on the phone) when Meeko told her that he was a hunter, he tried to not hunt Alfredo and Olivia (when she happened to cross his path) but he was a hunter ... as in end of story.

The AC said she had only come across one other cat that refused to stop hunting his housemates. I bought him crickets, goldfish, and I'm trying to find moths in the middle of winter, but he is as relentless as before. For Alfredo's physical safety Meeko is in his pop up kennel most of the day because he is too quick and stealthy for me to be able to stop an attack 100% of the time. I'm even afraid to go to sleep with Meeko on my bed and in my arms because he will wait for me to fall asleep.

If he isn't allowed in my room with Alfredo and me, he will throw him self against the closed bedroom door, or pop up kennel and scream for hours (5 hours last night) that certainly doesn't make Alfredo feel safe.

This is coming to a head ... I've been advised by two shelters that humanely putting him to sleep may the best option since he is in pain and he is out of control, and when he is out of control, that condition seems to distress him.

I want to figure out his stomach issues, I can't foist him off on someone else, someone that won't try and manage his stomach pain. I'm also afraid they will treat him cruelly because he will keep them up at night and urine mark anywhere feels needs to marked. He's a mess, we ALL are. Whatever ...

I'm hoping if I can decrease his pain he may not be so .... difficult, dangerous, darling
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
An x-ray will show a mass, but you won't be able to tell for sure if it is a mass of fur or something else. (I have had cats x-rayed for hair ball problems) An ultrasound, being more sensitive, would show more. I'd go straight to the ultrasound.

Have you considered feeding Meeko a raw diet. Some animals are so sensitive to stuff in processed food, that a raw diet is the only thing that saves them. Not just the food ingredients but the artificial vitamins and minerals can cause trouble for some cats.

Have you been to this website

Welcome to IBD Kitties - Introduction

Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks for replying, he won't eat Anything but Epigen 90 (yes it's dry, and you know I know better, but ...) and Fancy Feast Turkey Giblets Classic, and every time I feed him Fancy Feast he nose dives into bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, his nose loses it's color (I think from the pain) he cries and moans while awake and asleep, it's heart wrenching to witness. So absolutely no more FF.

Every time (twice) I've tried to have the pet psychic discuss eating better food with him, he wants to talk about something else and won't listen to my requests to eat other food. > insert < The pet psychic appointments are only 20 minutes so I don't "fill her in" with back ground info, she was not aware that Meeko had stomach problems, only that I wanted all of my cats to eat a varied and healthier diet. But, once again, we got side tracked by issues Meeko wanted to discuss instead, which was, of course, no problem. > <

It takes more than a week for him to feel better.

I'm sure he has acid problems now, that are more recent. 'Licking his lips, throwing up bile and even water sometimes.

I truly think he's running out of time, but that he won't leave quickly or painlessly.

Whether you believe in pet psychics or not: The last time he was really ill again, he told Agnes that he has never known a day without pain and he didn't want to be in this body anymore.

Technical question regarding x-rays to detect possible partial hair ball obstruction-dsc02575.jpg

Technical question regarding x-rays to detect possible partial hair ball obstruction-dsc02591.jpg

Technical question regarding x-rays to detect possible partial hair ball obstruction-dsc02539.jpg

Last edited by leanansidhex; 01-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM

I looked at the IBD site months ago, thank you for reminding me to re-visit it.

I may have to syringe feed him even though his appetite is good. I don't think he makes the connection that his food is what's hurting him.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM

I would definitely go for the ultrasound. There may be a mass in there, that he doesn't know about or comprehend. All paws crossed for Meeko.

PS sometimes a cat who won't eat canned will take readily to raw. You could start a very slow transition with a frozen raw such as Rad Cat. One of the most digestible foods ever. No bone (they use bone meal) no fruits and veggies. Start with tiny amounts put to the side of his kibble. Or crush the kibble and cover the raw with the powder.

Is he taking a probiotic?

Pepcid a/c (famotidine) for acid build up?

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-02-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Probiotic, he was, but surprisingly it didn't make much difference, not like it did for Saber. I need to order a different brand but it's gonna be hard to feed with dry kibble.

I intuitively feel animal derived enzymes would really help him. I need to compare Becker with Wysong; if Wysong makes that product as well.

I just bought pepcid last night 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet right. This isn't going to be easy, he's become willful and head strong

I'll get some Rad Cat today, I not very hungry anyway

Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 AM

I am using a digestive enzyme for my one kitty with regurgitation issues. I'm not sure if it is helping or not, yet. I am using Prozyme, the original formula. I chose that one because it has the least offensive (in my opinion) other ingredients. Milk whey is the only "other ingredient". Their other formulas have too many weird things. Their web page seems to be down so I can't give you the link.

DrBecker's digestive enzymes for animals contains cellulose. I wrote to them about that and was told the cellulose comes from tree roots. In other words, sawdust.

I use ProViable DC probiotic. It's expensive, and contains "fermentation product" which some people object to, but I am happy with the results, so have not felt a need to change. It can be sprinkled on dry food.

But, I know I already said this, I would go for the ultrasound. You really need to find out if there is something going on inside, and an ultra sound is the least invasive way, in my opinion.

See if the pet store will give you some samples of Rad Cat, before purchasing. But remember, it might take him some time eat it. It took my kitty with the digestive issues about 3 weeks to eat it on her own. She loves it now.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM

After all the time I've spent on this forum, reading your posts and information, I can only thank you for taking the time to help Meeko.

I'll order the ProViable DC today.

What enzymes did you decide on? < insert > Never mind, it's Prozyme original formula, I haven't slept much, lately < I'm pretty convinced part of them needs to be from an animal source. Then there is the: is the better culture material dairy or mushroom debate [smiley face ripping it's hair out]

Last edited by leanansidhex; 01-02-2013 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
leanan, I can't help you but want to express my sadness that your pumpkin is in such distress. I know you are at your wits end. if my baby told me he didn't want to be in this body anymore ...I'd...well I don't know what I'd do except maybe help him on to the next stage but of course you will be the one to know when it is that time. good luck.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
What no kudzu said goes for me too. I hope you can find some answers, and strength to deal with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats