Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 06:39 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I don't know why you're going to bother getting him neutered. Call the shelter you got him from and give him back. Tell them it's not a match. Ask their help getting him out; if they're a good shelter, they'll help you out and take him away and might even find you another cat. I'm not even sure why you want a cat, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 06:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think he is totally feral, but also has issues beyond that.

The only real way to get an answer is to neuter him and introduce him into a house without holes in the damn cabinets to hide in.
I don't agree. Ferals take a LONG time to come around. A month is not long for an actual feral. You could research how to tame him.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:57 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
This is not a feral kitten. A feral kitten would not let someone (especially a total stranger) hold him.
I believe this is the case of a very skittish, insecure and shy kitten that needs special attention and time to come around.

Quote:
I adopted a six month old male kitten 11/16. The kitten was from a local no-kill group who said he and most of the other cat were from an apartment complex. He let me hold him, the foster mom said he was very sweet, etc., and he seemed normal. He seemed socialized.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:06 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
This is not a feral kitten. A feral kitten would not let someone (especially a total stranger) hold him.
I believe this is the case of a very skittish, insecure and shy kitten that needs special attention and time to come around.
There's no point in trying to explain it to the OP. He's stuck on believing his cat is feral even though the cat was calm at the adoption event and even let people hold him as the OP says he did. He's obviously not feral but the OP has his own definition of what a "feral" cat is.
Something happened that scared the cat pretty badly and he's now afraid of the OP. The OP in return obviously doesn't like this cat very much now, so the feeling is mutual.
I hope this cat is somehow able to make it out of there without being harmed and is returned or else he'll end up as a barn cat at a relatives farm. That's not the life this cat deserves. He was calm, tame and probably loved at one time before this mess happened.

Last edited by marino760; 12-15-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-16-2019, 07:36 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
He did come out sometime yesterday and took apart a Christmas wreath I had on the dining table. He only removed certain pieces, and he had to have been at it awhile. I also heard with some toys in his hole.

I got him catnip today and I'm going to put some in a sock in the kitchen - hopefully that might get him moving some.

I'm planning on taking Friday off and see if the vet can get him neutered then. I bought an animal trap and some canned tuna today too. That will be some time to seal the holes permanently. As long as he has these holes, I don't think we'll see any progress.
No, as long as you continue to loathe this cat, as you so obviously do now, there will be no progress. You've made up your mind at this point that the cat is feral and has "issues". You don't have the patience or the time or commitment to dealing with the cat. Does it even have a name? For the cat's sake, please return it to the rescue ASAP.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, as long as you continue to loathe this cat, as you so obviously do now, there will be no progress. You've made up your mind at this point that the cat is feral and has "issues". You don't have the patience or the time or commitment to dealing with the cat. Does it even have a name? For the cat's sake, please return it to the rescue ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's no point in trying to explain it to the OP. He's stuck on believing his cat is feral even though the cat was calm at the adoption event and even let people hold him as the OP says he did. He's obviously not feral but the OP has his own definition of what a "feral" cat is.
Something happened that scared the cat pretty badly and he's now afraid of the OP. The OP in return obviously doesn't like this cat very much now, so the feeling is mutual.
I hope this cat is somehow able to make it out of there without being harmed and is returned or else he'll end up as a barn cat at a relatives farm. That's not the life this cat deserves. He was calm, tame and probably loved at one time before this mess happened.
Yes to all of that. It seems as though the OP is personally offended by the lack of attention and wants a super-friendly cat for the very limited time OP is home.

OP, it is clear you think that you are an awesome cat parent, but you're sure not showing that here.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I woke up Sunday morning and he was out of the hole. I can pan the camera around in there and cover the area completely, so I know he was out. I was able to put enough items there to block it and he hasn't been able to get back in the hole.

With that said, I haven't actually seen him since I think 11/25, even with him being out of the cabinets now. I put canned food out Monday and yesterday morning and Monday's was eaten, but he's barely eating the dry food (if at all) and the box isn't filling up like it had been. I haven't had to fill up the dry or scoop the box since Monday or Tuesday morning - before I was having to empty and feed every day. He doesn't appear to be going to the bathroom anywhere else either. If this keeps up, he's going to run into health issues.

I'm setting the trap out tonight with some tuna in it and hopefully taking him to the vet in the morning. I already have an appointment, and explained to the vet that he is likely feral and will need to be trapped to be brought in. If that doesn't work, I'm going to "tear the house apart" trying to find him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The thing is that "whatever happened" started within a few minutes of him being brought in. The truth is that nothing happened at that point. He made a beeline for that hole in a few minutes. Now that he doesn't have the hole, I still haven't seen any sign of him. I recall only seeing him twice since I brought him in 11/16 - the night I tried getting him off the vanity at 1 AM, and the night I found him in the spare bathroom. That was more than three weeks ago.

It's not like I see the cat out and about and he just won't come to me. I'm not seeing him out at all. He's played on rare occasions, but for the most part, you'd never know a cat was there. We can it here and parse the definition of "feral" all we want, but you'd think I'd have had more than two interactions with this cat in a little over a month now.

This was the agency I got him from.
https://felinerescueandnokill.my-free.website/

I don't recognize any of the ladies' names. I did get him at that Petsmart. When you Google "FRANK No kill," this is the first "real" website that comes up, aside from their Facebook pages.

https://www.etnspay-neuter.org/feral-cats.html

I'm going to give them all a call at lunch and see if I can reach someone that remembers the cat, and not just the event. I went down this road earlier, but at this point, I don't think the cat will come around and he should get a chance elsewhere.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 12-19-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 07:56 AM

2,739 posts, read 1,335,417 times
The first website indicates that they are a 501c nonprofit. It also indicates that kittens/cats are already spayed or neutered when they're adopted.

Do you have paperwork? Did you pay a fee?

The site says you can return the cat if it doesn't work out.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:06 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't agree. Ferals take a LONG time to come around. A month is not long for an actual feral. You could research how to tame him.
He is about seven months old now.

Whether or not he's truly "feral" doesn't really matter - what does matter is that I've had a whopping two interactions with this cat since I brought him in on 11/16, and one was negative. There has been no change in behavior with one hour in the house vs. one month in the house. That's what is baffling to me. Even after a month, there is almost no sign of a cat even being there, no passing him in the hall, no seeing him on the stairs, absolutely nothing at all. It's not like he's just avoiding me personally. His engagement with the environment after a month is minimal at best.

If something had "happened" to him at my house, why is he doing the very same thing a month in vs. his first few hours there?

With only two interactions in that timeframe and no interactions in more than three weeks, I don't see the cat ever coming around. He's not showing any interest in me, much interest in the environment, and I don't think he's young enough to socialize in a meaningful way now.

I've rarely seen a young cat be able to resist a bunch of jingling Christmas ornaments, yet not one ornament has ever moved. The only thing "normal" he's done was pick some stuff off the wreath and play with a toy or two rarely.

I'm frustrated and confused. None of this makes any sense to me. You'd think that, after a month, he'd begin to engage with the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
The first website indicates that they are a 501c nonprofit. It also indicates that kittens/cats are already spayed or neutered when they're adopted.

Do you have paperwork? Did you pay a fee?

The site says you can return the cat if it doesn't work out.
Yes, I have a manila folder with more information. I did pay a fee. I'm going to pull it out tonight. They didn't say that he was neutered, but given this information I assume he is. I have to find him and get him out first.

I guess this may be my "weekend project."

Old 12-19-2019, 08:23 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
I wonder where the kitty is, since he can no longer go into the kitchen cabinet hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats