Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:15 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times

Advertisements

I think you should have a talk with your vet about when it may be "time." You may be too close to the situation to fairly evaluate his situation. I have a story that may put things in perspective.

I recently had a friend whose senior cat was very ill. She had been texting/calling me for several days and was waiting to get through the weekend (it was Saturday). She posted a video of the cat on Facebook and I could not believe how poor the cat looked. I texted her right away and suggested she not wait until Monday and to go to the emergency vet.

Turns out the cat was in kidney failure and nothing could be done, so she euthanized her that evening. As sad as it was, I felt a little relief in knowing the cat didn't suffer 24+ more hours.

Thinking of you, OP. I know this isn't easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:06 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and feelings!!! It’s a tough touch time. I learnt not to put eye cream on in the morning as it burns when I cry :-(.

Well, Gambo took his medicine like a champ yesterday but he hardly ate this morning. We will see tonight if he eats during the day but he didn’t look too happy this morning. We will see and maybe have to go the last way this weekend (unless he rebounces and is happily standing in front of us later today). My husband is gone all next week so it’s not the best timing. Will talk his vet later today to discuss as well. :-(

I agree with Rene. don't wait until it's too late. Gambo should be sent on his way while he still has some quality of life left. A cat who doesn't want to eat, at the very least doesn't feel good, and when you consider the diagnosis, it is probably much worse that "doesn't feel good".

Quote:

When the medicine works, and the orednisolone worled very well for him over the last 2 months, you forget that their time is limited
Yes. Jennie did so well on her drugs for 3 months it was hard to believe she was sick. But within a matter of hours, suddenly, the drugs were no longer doing the job for her.

Talk to Gambo about this, maybe you already have been. I talked to Jennie about it fairly regularly to let her know I would be watching for her to tell me she'd had enough. And she did.

Weekends are tough because you risk having to take him to a stranger rather than his usual vet.

Don't let him linger. If he's suffering, or even not quite...it's time. I'm so sorry.

PS When the organs begin to shut down the body stops the feeling of hunger, so the body can use the energy for the organs instead of digestion. This is true of all physical beings, because life will continue to fight to stay on, even when it's beyond hope. It's not a pleasant thing to know, but it may help you understand what is happening with Gambo. xx

Old 02-01-2019, 03:15 PM

I also want to add that, in my experience, an animal may make one last effort and become lively and playful and almost him or herself for one last day, and then kitty is ready. I have had three cats succumb to various types of cancer and this was true in every case. Only once, out of the three, do I feel I waited a bit too long after that playful last day. And it haunts me still, over 7 years later.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
My two cents...

A day too early, is better then a day too late. It is your final gift to your furkid.

Hugs to you both.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Thinking of you and Gambo. Having been through this just last weekend, your precious boy is often on my mind. xx

Old 02-04-2019, 07:09 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I also want to add that, in my experience, an animal may make one last effort and become lively and playful and almost him or herself for one last day, and then kitty is ready. I have had three cats succumb to various types of cancer and this was true in every case. Only once, out of the three, do I feel I waited a bit too long after that playful last day. And it haunts me still, over 7 years later.
I experienced this too. That final morning (a Friday), our Tucker seemed nearly like his old self, and we thought we'd have the weekend with him. My mid afternoon he had taken a serious turn for the worse and by 10 pm we had a vet come to the house to euthanize him.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:47 PM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
So many sad stories, it kind of helps to know you are not alone. :-(.

We had a few rough days and actually decided to call the vet Sunday morning. But for whatever reason, Gambo got up on Sunday morning, into our bed, ate his food, enjoyed the sun most afternoon. He looked so contempt and pain fee. so we Never called the vet.

My husband is now traveling and I hope Gambo stays this way till he returns. Gambo is next to me on the cough watching some TV, he doesn’t like to be alone since last week. He is staying very close (Not hiding, but maybe he is not the hiding type but looking to be close). We enjoy every second we have, and try to be „ready“ if needed.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 AM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
A week later ... Gambo is doing very well. We increased the prednisolone to daily and it makes him really hungry. We are still in bed right now and is lying on top of me purring!!! He hasn’t done that since November! He even walked over me tonight. I would love to get up but I am enjoying this too much LOL.

His only issue is that he is hardly drinking but he eats lots of watered down wet food and babyfood and his fur looks terrible. He is cleaning himself several times but he doesn’t get all the areas. I can help him and brush him, but he doesn’t allow me e.g his hind legs - and he has a long coat... but trying to get one spot at a time. I love him so much!!!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
A week later ... Gambo is doing very well. We increased the prednisolone to daily and it makes him really hungry. We are still in bed right now and is lying on top of me purring!!! He hasn’t done that since November! He even walked over me tonight. I would love to get up but I am enjoying this too much LOL.

His only issue is that he is hardly drinking but he eats lots of watered down wet food and babyfood and his fur looks terrible. He is cleaning himself several times but he doesn’t get all the areas. I can help him and brush him, but he doesn’t allow me e.g his hind legs - and he has a long coat... but trying to get one spot at a time. I love him so much!!!

Thanks for the update. So glad Gambo is feeling well and enjoying his life with the increase meds. The wet food and baby food will be supplying his moisture needs so not drinking is not a concern. Sounds like you are doing all you can for him.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Gambo is on my mind every day. I know you are out of town and I hope every day that he is still doing well and not missing you too much. Hope to hear a good update when you get home. This better be your first stop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats