Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,952 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I came across another post on this board from back in 2010 started by a lady whos 15 year old cat had IBD and the responses were all very helpful, so I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice?

My cat is 10 and has been having diarrhea for a few weeks now. I tried de-worming etc at home, but when he had diarrhea right next to our bed, instead of litter tray, we knew he was asking for help and took him to vet on Boxing Day. He had lost a lot of weight (from 5.37kgs to 4.25kgs), vet did blood tests which were fine, and said he thought it was a bug and gave antibiotics and vitamin B12 injection. We gave him a poo sample and were waiting for the results.

Whilst we were waiting on the results, I found globules of blood in litter tray on Saturday night. Took him to emergency vet who said the poo results had come back and it is not a bug so is likely IDB or lymphoma. His weight had dropped again, to 3.99 (heartbreaking) and She gave him a steroid injection and we came home at midnight on Saturday.

He had diarrhea at 2:30am and then 4:30am on Saturday night/Sunday morning. From then on he was eating plenty, had 2 pee's in his litter tray, but no bowel movement. I was counting the hours, praying that every hour he wasn't passing it, he was absorbing the food as he should. I read that the digestive time for cats was 20-24 hours so was pleased he went this long; eventually went to his tray after 23hours at 3:30ish this morning and I was devastated to see that it was diarrhoea, still.

I guess what I am asking is, does this mean the steroid isn't working? Or does it take longer than this? If anybody has any experience with this would be grateful xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 04:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
This is a tough one (including emotionally).

You're being proactive and observant and that's huge.

One thing you didn't mention is what you're feeding your cat. It could be (and fingers crossed!) that it's something as "simple", that by changing food to something he can tolerate will be healing.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is a tough one (including emotionally).

You're being proactive and observant and that's huge.

One thing you didn't mention is what you're feeding your cat. It could be (and fingers crossed!) that it's something as "simple", that by changing food to something he can tolerate will be healing.
Thank you mawipafl.

I'm actually in the UK (I was googling and came across this site as decided to post as the users seem so helpful), so I don't think cat food brands etc will be the same? I have been feeding him the usual brands of UK cat food pouches; Felix, Whiskas etc. Over the past couple of weeks I have been putting raw liver on top of his food to encourage him to eat, as this is his favourite, but I have stopped that now as I don't want to be giving him too much. He doesn't really eat biscuits (kibble?) as he had gingivitis and had most of his teeth taken out a few years ago.

I am picking up some "yumpro" ( a probiotic) from vet this evening as it has a binding agent in it which might help to firm up his poo a bit, but I was just so so disappointed at 3:30 this morning when I saw that it was still diarrhea. I hope that doesn't mean that the steroids are not working

Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady1984 View Post
Thank you mawipafl.

I'm actually in the UK (I was googling and came across this site as decided to post as the users seem so helpful), so I don't think cat food brands etc will be the same? I have been feeding him the usual brands of UK cat food pouches; Felix, Whiskas etc. Over the past couple of weeks I have been putting raw liver on top of his food to encourage him to eat, as this is his favourite, but I have stopped that now as I don't want to be giving him too much. He doesn't really eat biscuits (kibble?) as he had gingivitis and had most of his teeth taken out a few years ago.

I am picking up some "yumpro" ( a probiotic) from vet this evening as it has a binding agent in it which might help to firm up his poo a bit, but I was just so so disappointed at 3:30 this morning when I saw that it was still diarrhea. I hope that doesn't mean that the steroids are not working
Can you find a canned food that is in a pate form - that iss... no gravy. Preferably one without any grain, corn, rice. I don't know if Mars (Canada) distributes in the UK, but their Sheba canned pate doesn't have any grain, corn or rice and very low carb which is helpful for cats with intestinal issues.

Another possibility could be pancreatic issues as well..

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
A few years ago my cat was diagnosed with IBD (we did an endoscopy). My memory is pretty faint but I'm pretty sure we used prednisone and metronitazole (sp?). I'd ask your vet about adding that combination. It took several days for the diarrhea to slow down, but he never really had firm stools. My cat's case was pretty severe and his biopsy from the endoscopy show precancerous cells sadly. IBD is something you manage, not cure unless you are looking at a food allergy. We tried different foods to rule out allergies; specifically corn free, grain free, and novel proteins. Allergies/intolerance can come out of nowhere so its worth trying.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Can you find a canned food that is in a pate form - that iss... no gravy. Preferably one without any grain, corn, rice. I don't know if Mars (Canada) distributes in the UK, but their Sheba canned pate doesn't have any grain, corn or rice and very low carb which is helpful for cats with intestinal issues.

Another possibility could be pancreatic issues as well..

Thank you; yes, there are some brands that have the pates, I will try those, thank you.

Do you find that these are easier on their bodies than those with gravy/jelly?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
ITA about feeding grain-free wet food. Also, you might consider feeding a raw diet. Here's a great article about feline nutrition that includes a section about IBD: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
A few years ago my cat was diagnosed with IBD (we did an endoscopy). My memory is pretty faint but I'm pretty sure we used prednisone and metronitazole (sp?). I'd ask your vet about adding that combination. It took several days for the diarrhea to slow down, but he never really had firm stools. My cat's case was pretty severe and his biopsy from the endoscopy show precancerous cells sadly. IBD is something you manage, not cure unless you are looking at a food allergy. We tried different foods to rule out allergies; specifically corn free, grain free, and novel proteins. Allergies/intolerance can come out of nowhere so its worth trying.
Hi cjmeck - thank you for your story; that is exactly what I was wondering, I was concerned that the fact that he had diarrhea early this morning meant that the steroids (I'm not sure of the name) weren't working, but if you're saying that it took a few days for your cats diarhhea to clear up then hopefully it will start to work soon (fingers crossed!)

How old was your cat when diagnosed and how old was he when he died, if you don't mind my asking?

Hoping for a normal looking poo in litter box when I get home tonight! x

Old 01-05-2015, 12:57 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
Quote:
Hi cjmeck - thank you for your story; that is exactly what I was wondering, I was concerned that the fact that he had diarrhea early this morning meant that the steroids (I'm not sure of the name) weren't working, but if you're saying that it took a few days for your cats diarhhea to clear up then hopefully it will start to work soon (fingers crossed!)

How old was your cat when diagnosed and how old was he when he died, if you don't mind my asking?

Hoping for a normal looking poo in litter box when I get home tonight! x
My best guess is that he was about 9-11 when he was diagnosed and then he died roughly a year later; he was a shelter rescue so his age was always just a guess. Ultimately, he was diagnosed with cancer, and then his kidneys began failing (the weight just fell off him) and so we decided to euthanize. Many cats with IBD ultimately develop cancer related to it, but many do not. We participated in a study at the University of Colorado that dealt specifically with IBD in cats and its a complicated disease, so don't give up if one thing doesn't work, you have many options.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:07 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Quote:
Thank you; yes, there are some brands that have the pates, I will try those, thank you.

Do you find that these are easier on their bodies than those with gravy/jelly?

The gravy/jelly are made up of junk..........carb based............that is tough on their intestines.

I looked up Sheba UK.... and you don't get the same products as we do here in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats