Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBeaky View Post
Agreed. That's the worst thing to do to a cat. It would be like clipping your nails by cutting off your finger to the first knuckle. I never had much of an issue with mine, but I introduced the scratching post as soon as she came home and I taught her how to use it and worked with her. That's all she scratches. Eventually she figured out the scratching pad on her ball/track toy. Took her a while because I think she thought it was my scratching pad Though she has been stretching her claws out on my carpet lately. I'm mixed about that. Try to stop her (kinda), but I do dislike my carpet and the faster it looks like crap, the faster I'm inclined to put in the hardwood flooring I've been drooling over at the home improvement store
Just an FYI- those little claw sheaths that are left in the carpet are not compatible with bare feet. Ask me how I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthferal View Post

come again to see if we can be friends. Absolutely no results. Mostly I get ignored - cat won't react or would run from me. This what happened with last cat: description in shelter was almost perfect. "She is very independent", I was told. Yes, she ignored me totally.

Question:what am I doing wrong?
What you're doing wrong is not considering a dog instead of a cat. ETA or maybe you should get a stuffed animal instead.

Quote:
Example II:
Stranger walks in the park. Stray cat starts following, almost jumps on his legs.
Was told by mass media.
Real life isn't much like clickbait. You're expecting something out of a Disney movie that is very likely not to happen.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthferal View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for advice. Could be a wall of text, so please forgive me for that.

Some 1 year ago I started thinking about cat. There was one nice, friendly neutered tabby near my house, I used to pet her, feed her, she used to lie on my knees (making biscuits). Finally I started thinking about taking her home, planning what to do and when. She disappeared, then reappeared, then I got news she died. A pity.

I started to look at shelters in my city. Followed largest ones on Facebook. Visited as soon as I noticed some almost perfect cat (i.e. tabby, green eyes, preferably short hair and one that won't ruin my flat). No luck: they either ignore me or softly attack me or second time I come they are already taken.

Up to this day I do look at facebook, I try to go to shelters yet to no results. My demands for cat are easy: >1 years old, friendly, one that won't ruin flat, tabby, preferably short-haired and must not have anything amputed or any illness. So far - no results. There were some cats, but either without leg or without eye or ill with some Corona virus.

Typically I come to shelter knowing which cat I may want. I come with no pre-made opinion, just in need to see, to befriend and if cat shows any attitude - come again to see if we can be friends. Absolutely no results. Mostly I get ignored - cat won't react or would run from me. This what happened with last cat: description in shelter was almost perfect. "She is very independent", I was told. Yes, she ignored me totally. "Maybe you need this one?" - asked me volunteer showing cat with different skin colour, long hair and with 1 eye. She was nice, purring all the time, demanding to be on my knees...yet it was her eye, all i could see was *lack* of one eye, I came second time hoping for miracle. Miracle did not happen, she almost ignored me. I waved her good-bye and left. Few weeks later she had an owner.

Was asked if my demands aren't too high. I think not. I may re-consider skin colour (could be grey or even tri-colour), maybe long-hair could be an option. Yes, call me cruel, but my cat should have, as I joke, "1 head, 2 eyes, 2 ears, 4 legs and 1 tail". Should not have any viruses. What if cat is old? No problem, one with 1 eye was some 8,5 years old and it did not scare me.

There must be an error somewhere. Reminds me my childhood when I enjoyed playing with numbers, like 2+2=2+1+1=1+1+1+1=...making up to, say, 1/32, then calculating again and getting anything, but 4. Our math teacher one time found mistake, noted it...and my play stopped.

Most likely I am making mistake somewhere. Not sure where and how and how to correct one.

Before being mocked: I do want a cat. I know cat may hide for 1 month to adapt. I do know I need to play with cat and that she may accidentally scratch something (not a problem). I know cat is for life and she may become ill, I would need to take care of her.

Question:what am I doing wrong?

Give her a lot more time; you don't know what she has been through before you adopted her. There is no way to know. Offer her a healthy treat for starters and let her come to you to get it out of your hand, or slowly just drop it in front of you when she gets near. It will take more time, have patience. Is she eating well? does she have a favorite spot to sleep in? Be kind and gentle and she will be fine, all will be well on her schedule. Do NOT let her outside. Best wishes.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What you're doing wrong is not considering a dog instead of a cat. ETA or maybe you should get a stuffed animal instead.

Real life isn't much like clickbait. You're expecting something out of a Disney movie that is very likely not to happen.

That is not true, you are not there, and you don't know what you're talking about. Wish the poster and the kitty a happy life together. Please.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That is not true, you are not there, and you don't know what you're talking about. Wish the poster and the kitty a happy life together. Please.
What kitty? The OP keeps going to shelters and leaving without one because he can't find his fantasy love at first sight match.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What kitty? The OP keeps going to shelters and leaving without one because he can't find his fantasy love at first sight match.

Maybe you should give him some advice if you haven't already.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Maybe you should give him some advice if you haven't already.
I did give advice on page 2. Did you read the whole thread?

However, the more I read from the OP, the less I think OP is really a cat person. The expectations of how a cat will behave on a first meeting are not on line with feline reality.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I did give advice on page 2. Did you read the whole thread?

However, the more I read from the OP, the less I think OP is really a cat person. The expectations of how a cat will behave on a first meeting are not on line with feline reality.
To paraphrase a famous President- "ask not what your cat can do for you, but rather what you can do for your cat".
To me the OP seems to want to receive from the pet, more than he should have to give. Doesn't work that way.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
OP, Cats only know about what they were taught at their former home(s). You will have to teach a new cat the ropes around your house. An older cat is less likely to rip up the curtains but will still have the tendency to scratch your furniture. There are ways to train a cat and they are so smart it doesn't take much time. They are not toys and each one has its own quirks and personality.

When I last went to the shelter for a new cat, my cat picked me instead of the other way around. I was walking among the cages slowly and close to their doors when a paw poked out and pushed me very gently. His name is Tommy. He was 6 months old then and today he is 14.

Shelters will let you and a cat share a room to yourselves so you can observe it close up and interact with it before you make a decision. Choosing a cat is more about intuition or how you feel around it. Is there just "something" about it that makes you feel good? Then go with the feeling and you won't be wrong. Cats are very extrasensory. They know you before you know them.

It wouldn't hurt you to buy a couple books about cats. Link to where to find

What ever you do, do not declaw any cat. It is inhumane.
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/declawing-cats-far-worse-manicure

I have had cats for 60 years now so I wish you a great life with cats. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say isn't true.

The OP is expecting the type of interaction with a cat that more often occurs with dogs.

The scenario the OP describes concerning the cat following some guy home is way more likely to occur with dogs. Life doesn't work like a Disney movie.

Your post, on the other hand, is confusing. You seem to think the OP has adopted a cat? That isn't the case. So, I'm not going to "wish the poster and the kitty a happy life together" because there is no kitty. I also think the poster needs to learn a lot more about cats before getting one and possibly consider other types of pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats