Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:23 PM

321 posts, read 854,024 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a kitten I rescued from a feral cat colony that lived down near the harbour in Port Colborne, Ontario. This cat is approximately six months old. I rescued another kitten at the same time, a silver-tabby female who was approximately two weeks younger. Strangely the silver tabby is growing like a weed, really sleek and healthy. But the other cat, the little male grey and white one is nothing but skin and bones despite every effort I have made to give him nothing but healthy food. He acts as if he is starving and will dive at any food put before him. I have dewormed him twice with a dewormer that I got from a vet so I don't think that that is the problem. The food we feed our cats is a healthy food called ProNature and none of my other cats have the same problem. I am afraid that he might have Feline Aids or FIP. Does anyone know anything about these disorders or have some advice as to how I can save my baby. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I forgot to mention in my first post that he is now on anti biotics twice a day and I am feeding him home made cat food twice a day. I am separating him from the others to feed him because I found myself wondering if perhaps being feral he was scarfing his food down too quickly and that was upsetting his stomach. I know if we humans eat too fast we can have digestion problems. However, I would still like to hear from anyone who might have any other suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
What does your vet say? You're giving the cat medication, but I'm wondering if any sort of exam or bloodwork has taken place.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
... I am afraid that he might have Feline Aids or FIP. Does anyone know anything about these disorders or have some advice as to how I can save my baby. Thanks
The vet can test him for both Feline Aids and Leukemia. It's a simple blood test that is inexpensive, painless, and only takes a few minutes.

I have six cats, three were wild ferals and two were homeless. The other one I got from a friends litter. I used to have another one but he died of Aids he got by fighting.

Before we took in each of the ferals or strays, we took them to be tested. They were all negative so we went on to get them their shots and microchips.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:00 PM

The couple who used the live traps to capture these two cats are experienced animal rescuers. They informed me that neither cat tested positive for Aids or Fip at the time of their capture. I'm researching to see if Aids or Fip can be contracted at any time in a cats life or if only at birth. I'm actually more worried about FIP since people I had contact with had two kittens that had to be euthanized and were later found to have FIP. I've since learned that they have had several young kittens die mysteriously and wonder if they have FIP in their household. Unfortunately they are not responsible people and they have unfixed male and female cats that are breeding and having kittens, and they never take their animals to the vet. So I don't know what the problem is with them. My feral baby might have had a weak immune system and contracted something I accidently brought home when I had contact with these people. The vet is closed right now for the holidays but I will definitely take him in and have him tested.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention in my first post that he is now on anti biotics twice a day and I am feeding him home made cat food twice a day.
Are you feeding him an all meat diet? Cats have trouble digesting grains and vegetables. Here's a good website on cat nutrition: www.catinfo.org

Old 12-25-2007, 08:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
...neither cat tested positive for Aids or Fip at the time of their capture. I'm researching to see if Aids or Fip can be contracted at any time in a cats life or if only at birth...
They both can be contracted at any time. The most common way Aids (FIV) is contracted is through fighting or mating.

The transmission of FIP is not fully understood. One theory is that it mutates from a more common and easily transmitted respiratory virus. But, it does not mutate in all or even in most cases. However, the mutated form can also be transmitted, especially by feces

Quote:
...I'm actually more worried about FIP since people I had contact with had two kittens that had to be euthanized and were later found to have FIP. I've since learned that they have had several young kittens die mysteriously and wonder if they have FIP in their household...
How was it later determined that these kittens had FIP? Was a culture done or an autopsy performed?

Kittens don't "mysteriously" die from FIP. If they had a fatal case of FIP the symptoms would be obvious.

If your kitten is not sick with obvious symptoms, just not thriving, you might want to get a blood panel done.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM

It's a long story. The people who helped rescue these kittens from the breakwall, tried to help the two people I mentioned in my last post. They were concerned about the fact that their cats were not spayed/neutered and were appalled by the fact that 90% of the time the cats had no food or fresh water. Before you ask - the Humane Society was called - they came - said 'no problem' and left. Since then, these people have had at least seven kittens die from breathing and respiratory problems. They have lost two large adult male cats from reasons unknown because they NEVER took them to the vet. The first two kittens who died were taken by my animal rescue friends and when the kittens died an autopsy was performed and FIP was detected. Up until then, I had tried to help the couple who were responsible for this mess by finding homes for their kittens. With the possibility of FIP around, I am at a loss. Why do I keep trying to help them? Because I am desperately afraid for their cats and I don't know what else to do and because the Humane Society won't help period.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM

I guess the rest of the story is that all of their cats have some kind of respiratory problem. Probably upper respiratory infection. Especially the young kittens (they have seven kittens from three different litters - the fourth litter of two kittens were malformed because they were from a brother/sister breeding and they died when they were about six weeks old). They all have discharge coming from their eyes, and they struggle to breath. So there is definitely a health problem in that household. But like I said, our Humane Society won't do a damn thing

Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 PM

I do have some good news. The antibiotics and the home made cat food are definitely having a positive impact on my little darling. He is looking a little bit happier and seems to have a little more energy. I'm going to continue the antibiotics for the full ten day treatment, and continue feeding him the natural food twice a day along with his dry food and keep my fingers, toes and anything else I can crossed. If there is no further improvement, then I will take him to a vet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats