Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

I found a really sweet stray outside of a hotel. I don't know his history, but my best guess is he was lost on a trip. He is dirty and has small cuts from fights, a couple lines of missing fur from old cuts, very rough paws and dirty ears. He goes crazy over food and will over eat and tear through to go food containers to eat french fries, even though he has already eaten cat food.

He is well behaved and acts like my cat right away, sleeping by me following me, etc. He won't let me give him a bath. I plan to take him to the vet and would like to get a one time grooming. Normally I wouldn't give a cat a bath, but he is very dirty and smells. Does anyone have any advice about bathing or vet visits for strays? I would like to keep him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
So glad kitty has found a home with you. I would not try to bathe him right away. There are these wipes on the market (I got them at Wal-Mart), they are called Pro-Pet in between bath wipes. I got them when we were travelling with our dogs. Although they are for dogs I'm sure they have some for cats or you could use the dog ones. You just wipe them down, it makes them a little damp but I'm sure it would be better then a bath right now since the cat may claw you really bad.

The vet can check the cat for any bites/scratches that look like they may be or become infected. When I use to bathe my cat I'd use the double wash sinks and hold her by the scruff of the neck as their mother does to them and lather her up. She hated it but she was one clean kitty afterwards. I'd also check with the Vet office to see if they have any good ideas or know of places that will groom cats.

Again, so good of you to have given the cat a home instead of ignoring it as so many would have.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Ah, great advice above...I have found every cat currently in my home as a stray. GIve him a few days unless he needs immediate medical attention. Let him eat, drink and most importantly rest up.
Good luck with your new fur baby. I hope it all works out, please keep everyone posted.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Poor kitty! What a great person you are for adopting him. Best of luck to you both at the vet.

I've never bathed a cat before, so I'm no help there!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
If you have to bathe a cat it's recommenced you use Dawn dish soap. Just make sure you rinse real well. I had to clean up a cat that Had been under a truck and was all dirty and grimy.

I'm happy you're giving the cat a home. best o luck with everything and let us know what the vet says.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
That's one lucky kitty! Thank you for saving a life. I had to bethe my cat's rear when he had bad diarrhea years ago and it wans't fun. He knew me so he didn't fight too hard. Best way is to wrap one end in a towel while you work on the other end. Or do as noted above.

Considering what he's been through, I'd let the vet take care of it!

Oh, and I hope you make him an inside cat so he never gets lost, hit, or attacked.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Reps to you!! So glad you brought in another kitty <3

If you're unsure of his reaction, I would just let the vet bathe him. (they do do that there!) or recommend a grooming place to get you on your paws, so to speak.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
No special advice from me. But I wanted to send you a huge, giant, special <<<HUG>>> for giving that kitty a home!

You get a cookie!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
Thanks for all the comments. I'll plan on a vet trip on Thurs. I just got home after a 3 day drive. My other cat is at my work because I didn't want to chance my landlord letting him out while I was gone, so I need to bring him home to get them used to each other. I feel like I am cheating on my other cat. The new cat has taken more to me than my cat I had since he was a kitten. One unusual thing is he has huge jaw muscles, nothing like I have seen before and a muscular chest. He must have been tearing through the trash and hunting for food.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM

257 posts, read 533,687 times
By the way you're describing him, he sounds like an out and out stray. Some are super sweet & not 'feral' at all. I am a groomer & I would let the vet or groomer bathe him first. They can also let you know how he did so you'll be prepared for when you need to bathe him. Make sure to get him combo tested (checks for Feline Leukemia & Feline AIDS). These diseases are very contagious & can be transmitted easily to your cat. Since he has scars & scratches (probably from fights) he has a high probability of having one of these diseases.

I hope he doesn't as it sounds like he has found a wonderful, loving home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats