Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times

Advertisements

Still helping the new kitten and resident adult (year old) cat get used to each other. It's been about a month now and we're still doing brief periods of closely supervised interaction, never leaving the two alone together. The two constantly chase either other, rough house, swat at each other, but I hear no growling from the adult cat. When things get rougher than I'm comfortable with, I pick one cat up and off it goes to its room. This is generally when the adult cat has the kitten pinned on the floor, usually around the neck--adult cat is often licking the kitten's head at the same time (?). Am I right to intervene? I don't want injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
If the adult cat is licking the kitten I would leave them alone to it. We just got a kitten a little over a week ago and the 3 yr. old female will pin Samson down and lick him. As long as there is no blood drawn I wouldn't worry. It's natural for them to rough house and swat each other. It's how they play. You also said there is no growling and that is a good sign. I've left Samson alone with the other 4 cats and there have been no problems. The baby has to learn his place in the pecking order and the adult cats are teaching him. If it turns ugly you will be able to tell...there is no mistaking the sound of an angry cat. Good luck and have fun with them!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
It's grooming behavior. My 2 yr old will pin my 7 y/o to groom him and the other way around. The more you intervene, the longer they will take to adjust to each other. Unless one is yowling in pain, I'd leave them to it but watch them. Cats play by play-fighting, as do dogs. It looks and can sound bad, but unless someone is howling or yelping in pain, it's fun to them. Hard as it is to understand!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
It's a good idea to still keep an eye on them...but, this is pure kitten/cat interaction. As long as kitten isn't yowling his head off, leave them be. Jax has only be in the house for 2 weeks or so...has gotten along great with the other cats and dog...but 2 of my other cats, the big males, sometimes don't know their own strength and could get carried away in their play....so play time is monitored at all times.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
It's a good idea to still keep an eye on them...but, this is pure kitten/cat interaction. As long as kitten isn't yowling his head off, leave them be. Jax has only be in the house for 2 weeks or so...has gotten along great with the other cats and dog...but 2 of my other cats, the big males, sometimes don't know their own strength and could get carried away in their play....so play time is monitored at all times.

This was my main concern--that the adult cat doesn't know her own strength and size. But it sounds like I need to let them go at it for longer periods each day *under* close supervison. Kitten just won't leave the adult cat alone--and just chases her, jumps on her whenever he sees her.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
And the cat needs to correct the kitten so she can learn to be a good cat!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And the cat needs to correct the kitten so she can learn to be a good cat!
And also to say, this is my house, i'm the boss. Now go fetch me some treats.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM

This kitten is slow to learn! The adult can pins him down, swats at him, does judo tosses, and the kitten keeps coming back for more! Cat must be really annoyed with this little guy who can't leave her alone for a single second when he's out of his room. I leave them together as long as possible at a time. It is funny to watch them because the kitten actually is good at sneaking up behind her when he's "stalking" her. The two cats collided in mid air a few days ago just when the dog rounded the corner so it was a 3 way collision!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:05 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
My cats still do the licking thing nearly 2 years after I brought the second one home. It's so funny to watch them sometimes. DC will get up, look around and spot Nudge sleeping on the couch and decide, "Yep, it's time to groom her again." So he wakes her up and at first she'll just lie there with her eyes screwed shut putting up with the attention. Then she'll start licking him back and then she decides, "Ok that's enough!" and attacks him.

Then they chase each other around, knock each other down, wrestle and pin each other to the floor BUT (and this is important) they never hurt each other. Occasionally one of them will squawk if the other is sitting on their head or something, but they never draw blood.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
This is just what kittens do....no rhyme or reason....stalk, attack and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats