Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,587 times

Advertisements

I have a cat & am moving to a new apt about an hour away at the end of this month.

I have moved with him a couple of times before, the last being a long-distance move (TX to CO)--which was indeed a nightmare. I went to the vet for that move & got a tranquilizer prescribed for him. Talk about being on drugs--it made his eyes look like they were rolled back in his head & he still kinda freaked & cried during the long drive here.

Question is, I just found the pill bottle from that trip & I still have one left & the bottle says it doesn't expire until 2009.

Since the actual drive to my new place will only be maybe an hour, do I use this last pill for the next move? Or is there something else I can do? Or use nothing at all?

He is one of those cats that can't stand the car or the vet or anything. He HOWLS when I have to take him to the vet. Since I will be hiring a moving helper to help me move & we might all be sitting in the front seat of a U-Haul LOL I'm sure the mover does not want to hear him howl. Once we get moved in & settled in the new place, he is always fine--it's just the actual moving part that I'm worried about.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks in advance.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,736 times
For just an hour a way, I would not do it unless you have to. What about a small cat cage for the trip?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I find that leaving the cat cage out for them to play in is one way of making sure they are more comfortable with being in it once the time comes. My cats think of it as a bed to play and sleep in.

His eyes lookd like that because his third eye lid was over his eye, that happens when you give them a tranquilizer.

I personally wouldn't give it too him for that short of a trip.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
I have a cat & am moving to a new apt about an hour away at the end of this month.

I have moved with him a couple of times before, the last being a long-distance move (TX to CO)--which was indeed a nightmare. I went to the vet for that move & got a tranquilizer prescribed for him. Talk about being on drugs--it made his eyes look like they were rolled back in his head & he still kinda freaked & cried during the long drive here.

Question is, I just found the pill bottle from that trip & I still have one left & the bottle says it doesn't expire until 2009.

Since the actual drive to my new place will only be maybe an hour, do I use this last pill for the next move? Or is there something else I can do? Or use nothing at all?

He is one of those cats that can't stand the car or the vet or anything. He HOWLS when I have to take him to the vet. Since I will be hiring a moving helper to help me move & we might all be sitting in the front seat of a U-Haul LOL I'm sure the mover does not want to hear him howl. Once we get moved in & settled in the new place, he is always fine--it's just the actual moving part that I'm worried about.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks in advance.............
Not worth it for a one-hour trip.

Be careful moving. Cats love to disappear on you.... You have to keep them in a wire cage or in a closed room. Moving is stressful enough without suddenly realizing your cat is gone.

greenie

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,587 times
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Yeah, I remember that 'third eyelid' thing now that you mentioned it. And it really didn't stop him from crying, just toned it down a bit. Of course, that was a 2-day road trip.

My cat HATES the carrier with a passion & yes, I have it out of the closet now for him to see & play in.

I'm not too worried about my cat running away---when I bring him into the new apt, I always put him in the bathroom & shut the door. Then I start moving all my stuff in. Moving can be stressful, yes, but I think it's worse with a cat. My cat is glued to me & like a lot of cats, he hates being out of his 'environment' aka the car.

Thanks again--I will probably end up not giving him anything.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
If your cat is a catnip-lover, put some catnip in the carrier while you have it out, along with one of your unwashed tee shirts to create a comfort zone before you make the trip because he obviously associates the carrier with bad things right now. And best not to tranqulize him for such a short trip. Cheers!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
I bought something homeopathic at the pet store for "Travel Anxiety" and it seemed to really work with both of my cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats