Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,787 times

Advertisements

So here is the quick run down on my new kitten. I'm looking for some advice about him - I don't know what kind really LOL. I just don't know what to think at this point. I'm getting both concerned and frustrated.

Makari was born May 11 so he's not quite 4 mo old. We got him when he was about 13 weeks old and had him now about 6 weeks.

When we got him, as some of you know, the was a BIG issue with him having had a rabies shot from his breeder. He had a vaccine reaction and we were dealing with that. That seems to have resolved itself nearly completely and turned out to be inflammation tissue (thank God) he still has a small hard knot but it's no where near the huge mass that it once was. We will call this incident Health Concern #1

A few weeks later we started feeding Mak a mix of raw food - Blue Ridge Beef kitten beef - along with his canned food - Weruva Chicken. The cat had vomit and diarrhea incidents nearly every day for a week. He would vomit every time he ate at one point. So we quit the raw and went back to only canned food. Problem resolved. I won't say it was the "raw food" I think he may have a beef intolerance or the raw food was too much to fast on his little system. We may have a re-try at a later date. This will be Health Concern #2

A week later Mak starts vomiting again. This time it is usually between meals. He usually doesn't not vomit much -only liquid. Sometimes he wakes from a dead sleep and throw up. This goes on for two days. The morning of the day we are going to see the vet low and behold Mak vomits up a pom pom! I can hardly believe the kitten managed to eat this and not choke on it. This is Heath Concern #3

Currently we are in the Middle of Heath Concern #4!! For 2 days Mak has been very sleepy - not interested in playing at all - he's usually a spit ball. He just lays in his bed. He doesn't want to eat - you usually can't fill him up. Though he has urinated and had a bowl movement so I know he's had something to eat and drink. He is sleeping a lot but then he just sits in the bed and watches what's going on. He's alert and seems okay - just not interested in getting up. Nothing seems to hurt if you poke and prod him. When we make him get up and watch him walk nothing seems unusual. He does seem careful when he jumps. No discharge from eyes/nose, no vomit, no diarrhea. I don't know whether to let it ride or vet him. I know sometimes they just go through phases and funks. I'm trying to give him room to get over it but I know with kittens things happen quickly. Obviously whatever it is is not an emergency but how much time to I let this go? I suppose I should mention we were gone for a week. We had pet sitters 2 times a day but we've been home for a few days now. Could it take this long for the stress etc to have caught up to him? He was just fine when we got back.

I just don't know what to think anymore. This is the "4th" time this kitten has had some "what's wrong now" and it's very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
He might have eaten another pompom, or worse. I'd get him to the vet.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,074 times
We took a trip for a week, a month after adopting Fritz. Fritz was the same age as your kitten is now. I noticed that he was more skittish when we returned, even though we had the petsitter stay over 2 nights that week. He was/is a very sensitive little guy. I would give it a few days, but the fact that he's eating and going potty are good signs. I'm not really sure what vets normally do for lethargy when it's not accompanied by other symptoms...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post

A week later Mak starts vomiting again. This time it is usually between meals. He usually doesn't not vomit much -only liquid. Sometimes he wakes from a dead sleep and throw up. This goes on for two days. The morning of the day we are going to see the vet low and behold Mak vomits up a pom pom! I can hardly believe the kitten managed to eat this and not choke on it. This is Heath Concern #3
Could he have gotten hold of a string or sewing thread?

Quote:
Currently we are in the Middle of Heath Concern #4!! For 2 days Mak has been very sleepy - not interested in playing at all - he's usually a spit ball. He just lays in his bed. He doesn't want to eat - you usually can't fill him up. Though he has urinated and had a bowl movement so I know he's had something to eat and drink. He is sleeping a lot but then he just sits in the bed and watches what's going on.
This isn't normal behavior.

Quote:
He's alert and seems okay - just not interested in getting up. Nothing seems to hurt if you poke and prod him. When we make him get up and watch him walk nothing seems unusual. He does seem careful when he jumps.
May I remind you there are no Lic veterinarians on this Forum. And even if there were, an animal really needs to be seen to be diagnosed.

Quote:
No discharge from eyes/nose, no vomit, no diarrhea. I don't know whether to let it ride or vet him. I know sometimes they just go through phases and funks. I'm trying to give him room to get over it but I know with kittens things happen quickly. Obviously whatever it is is not an emergency but how much time to I let this go?
If he were my cat I would have him to the vet as soon as an appointment could be arranged or SOONER!

Quote:
I suppose I should mention we were gone for a week. We had pet sitters 2 times a day but we've been home for a few days now. Could it take this long for the stress etc to have caught up to him? He was just fine when we got back.

I just don't know what to think anymore. This is the "4th" time this kitten has had some "what's wrong now" and it's very frustrating.
I understand your frustration but this kitty needs some professional attention. And who were the people coming over? Did they have kids? Were they teenagers?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
That's all warranty work, right?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Just as an update : I did take Mak to the vet this past Friday. The didn't see any signs of injury. Did not palpate anything in his intestine. They wanted to see how he did over the weekend before running a lot of expensive tests. - Which I appreciate!

So Sunday morning rolls around - and we hear Mak come into the bedroom and yowl. This is what he does before he vomits. So we know immediately what's been wrong all along AND you guessed it....up cam a pom pom! AGGGHHHH However, last time I cleared the house of any "smaller toys". This one was a full sized 1 inch in diameter pom pom. I have no idea how he ate that thing and didn't choke on it. So now the house has be cleared of MANY toys.

I'm really struggling with this. I don't know what to pitch and what to keep. I'm having a hard time with what I think may be a danger to this eating machine of a cat! If he's bound and determined to eat something - he'll find something to chomp on I'm sure of it.

Today he seems 100% back to normal. We shall see how long it lasts.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Sounds like you have a very mischevious kitty there - glad he's doing well. A friend's small dog (not a puppy) swallowed a peach pit and had many problems after - good days and bad days - many vet visits and tests later and they still werent aware of this months later til he finally upchucked it - glad there was a happy ending for Mak too - maybe keeping him out of the craft room will help dissuade his fondness for pom poms.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Ha ha - they were not craft pom poms! That would be easy enough. These were cat toys bought from Pet Smart You know the "toy shoppe" brand that are sparkly that come in a plastic tube of about 4 or 5 for $4

Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Maybe he likes the texture or the taste of that particular toy, end of story.

Or maybe he'll just find something else, like another blanket, to eat!

Sorry, not very helpful [smiley face]

Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 AM

So for you that are following the saga of my kitten Makari - here is today's latest news

On Saturday I noticed that he was blinking his left eye at me funny. Figured no big deal. I've had plenty get a little something in an eye or poke it playing with the other cats. Well, later that night, he's still squinty. So I look -his eye isn't runny or red, so I figure after resting it will be better in the morning.

Sunday morning it looks about the same to me. Guess he must have gotten a little scratch on it as it is still not runny so I think it's probably not infected - which is the norm around here and I have meds for that one!

We end up being gone all day Sunday (yesterday) and not home till after 11 p.m. When we get home I pick up Mak to check his eye out and it's cloudy!! Definitely not good. He's still squinty but less so, still not runny, but it's a little red.

Needless to say we are off to the vet (AGAIN) later today. Will update with what's the deal. I don't know how much more of this kitten's health saga my marriage can take. (- Sorry for the vent, thanks for listening.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats