Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,066 times

Advertisements

I am moving into a home with 6 small dogs, my cat isn't used to dogs at all. She's been around a few and gets kinda upset, hissing and growling. Sometimes she likes to pick on them.

I was wondering how I could ease her into the new enviroment. I don't believe the dogs will attack her but i know they will be bark and growl at her. I need some suggestions on how I can slowly introduce them.

My bedroom is kinda large and I can keep in her in there most of the time but I really don't want to have to keep her locked up in here. She is mostly an inside cat but she enjoys laying out in the sun sometimes.

I am afraid she won't adjust well and run away.

She is about 6 or 7 years old and very sweet. She isn't really a lap kitty, she likes her time alone but she is still very loving and likes to cuddle when she's in the mood. If you would like more info, just ask.

Thank you in advance for your opinons/advice/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Kiki View Post
I am moving into a home with 6 small dogs, my cat isn't used to dogs at all. She's been around a few and gets kinda upset, hissing and growling. Sometimes she likes to pick on them.

I was wondering how I could ease her into the new enviroment. I don't believe the dogs will attack her but i know they will be bark and growl at her. I need some suggestions on how I can slowly introduce them.
This is a DANGEROUS situation for the cat. When there are more than one dog there is a pack mentality. This is normal for dogs. One day the owner comes home to find the cat (or rabbit or guinea pig) it shreds or severely injured. One dog will snap at the cat and others jump right in. It becomes frenzied as the excitement builds and the cat or other animal is killed. I've seen and heard of this working in an Animal Hosp in NYC. When no one is home with them, they need to be separated. When dogs and cats grow up together this doesn't usually happen as the cat/s are seen as part of the pack. Not so in the situation you're talking about.

Quote:
Thank you in advance for your opinons/advice/suggestions.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I know a couple of cats who were moved into homes with dogs and couldn't stand it.

So they ran away.

Now they live with us.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Even if the dogs didn't actually attack the cat, the stress of being around them and constant wary of them wouldn't be good either. For the sake of the cat, I would look into other alternatives.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Since I don't know the reason for this move, I won't say flat out don't do it. I wouldn't automatically assume that this won't work, although I would expect things to be kind of crazy for a while even if things go well. She shouldn't have to live in your room forever of course, but at first this would be a good idea as she settles in. When someone is there to supervise, start with a baby gate across the door so that they can see, smell and get more used to each other without being able to get at each other. You will always need to have her food and litter box inaccessible, either by keeping it in a separate room with baby gate, or up high (the food not the box of course) where the dogs can't reach.
When you feel the time is right you can do gradual introductions with one or two of the dogs at a time. 6 would be quite overwhelming I think. Always be sure she has high places to get to where she can relax. You may find they are all intimidated by a good swat, and she rules the roost. I've always had large dogs, and they are submissive to the cats. She may come to accept and befriend some or all of them, or just tolerate them as long as they respect her fearsome claws and teeth. It will take time for their excitement about her to die down, especially if she is their first kitty roommate. They will need supervision at all times for a good long while. If everyone is asleep or out of the house, she should be closed in your room.
If you go through with this, give it a couple of months before you decide it isn't working. Settling cats and dogs in together can be difficult even when it ends up well. Just know there's a possibility it will not work out and be too stressful for her. It really is something to think over.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Agree with Kitty - this is potentially very dangerous for the cat in question. Dogs are pack animals and when the cat runs away which she will invariably - the chase will be on. I had a close friend whose Scottish Terriers killed her husband's cat after they chased it and cornered it - it was awful!! Had they grown up together it would be another story. At the very least - the poor cat will be so traumatized that I can only imagine how it may respond. It would be a kindness to the cat to re-home it someplace where it will not have to deal with just trying to stay alive every single day. The results of constant stress on a cat can lead to serious mental issues and illness. If the dogs are unavoidable - please consider finding another home for the cat.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Yes by all means, go slowly as subject2change suggests and always insure kitty has an escape route. My one cat still dislikes and distrusts dogs after 9 years of living with one who was a pup when we got her so the dog likes cats and poses no danger to the cat other than accidental.

Dogs are pack animals and might attack the cat and harm if they corner her so please be wary even after they are accustomed to one another, notice how they interact. If kitty remains upset and doesn't adjust it might be wise to keep her apart when they can't be supervised. Not the best arrangement but if you don't have a choice it's better than risking harm.

I hope the transition goes well, sometimes they work it out better than we expect. I was fortunate with my cats, the one that dislikes dogs just ran from the dog and never engaged, now he sleeps on the bed with the dog. Not near her but at least on the bed. The main thing is to give it time, and that may mean months to over a year for the kitty. I know that sounds like a very long time but cats are incredibly patient and it may take a long time for her to adjust.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,066 times
Thank you everyone. After a lot of thought and consideration I believe I may have to find to her a new home. It breaks my heart so much but it's best for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats