Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the kind words, they mean a lot.

I still can't believe, he's gone. this time yesterday, I was petting him. He just went downhill so fast my mind can't grasp it yet.

I'm not especially computer literate, so, am waiting for tonight for dh to help me upload pictures. He was such a beautiful cat, black and white. Mostly white, with a georgous long black tail. He had such a little face, sweet and delicate, and big, furry paws. He really, really loved me. he'd wrap himself around me, pat my face with his huge paws, grasp my hand in a bear hug, he was such a lover. Just a few weeks ago, my back was hurting. somehow he knew. He crawled in bed with me, and wrapped his long body against my back as I lay on my side. As he purred and cuddled, it was like a vibrating heating pad!

I'm still stunned he's gone, but its better this way. In the past, I've held onto sick, elderly cats long past when I should have let them go. I was only prolonging their suffering. The word euthanasia means mercy killing, the forms we signed said "owner requests euthanasia to prevent suffering". Well, its the opposite if you prolong life beyond hope of any quality. I've kept cats alive for months with cancer, enduring chemotherapy,cats in renal failure I ran IV's on, thinking I was helping. Looking back, i was just hurting them. We all have our time, Marshmallow had his. He's with the angels now. My other cats miss him, they are sniffing around, looking puzzled. We brought Marshmallow's body home, we will bury him in the backyard tonight. We let the other cats see him, so they know. They deserve closure. This is truly a house in mourning today.

Thanks again for all the kind words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
^ Such touching words about your big boy, and your plans to show him to the other cats in the family. You're so kind to adopt him, especially at an older age. I'd love to see pictures of him. And I'm sure your household will carry on being a lovely place.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
Oh Marylee,

I remember the day you brought marshmellow home. I remember the day he got out and got LOST! I can't believe we've gone full circle, and his lifespan (on city-data-land, that is) has ended.

It does take such a special character to fall in love with an older cat, and open your heart and home to them. God bless you and your dh, in marshmellow's time of need. I know you miss him, but he is being well taken care of in the meantime. I'm going to go hug my kitties tight. After reading your thread, and the one about the blood clot in the hind legs resulting in an immediate PTS, ... it's so true - we just don't know how much time we have left with them, and should cherish every moment.

"What thou hath lost, heaven hath in store."

Sad supportive hugs flying at you from me, Moo, Kirby, Twix, and Cinders (aka Jinglebutt)

Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Oh Marylee,

I remember the day you brought marshmellow home. I remember the day he got out and got LOST! I can't believe we've gone full circle, and his lifespan (on city-data-land, that is) has ended.

It does take such a special character to fall in love with an older cat, and open your heart and home to them. God bless you and your dh, in marshmellow's time of need. I know you miss him, but he is being well taken care of in the meantime. I'm going to go hug my kitties tight. After reading your thread, and the one about the blood clot in the hind legs resulting in an immediate PTS, ... it's so true - we just don't know how much time we have left with them, and should cherish every moment.

"What thou hath lost, heaven hath in store."

Sad supportive hugs flying at you from me, Moo, Kirby, Twix, and Cinders (aka Jinglebutt)
Thanks, Maryland! I was thinking of you when I wrote about Marshmallow. I remember Little Moo being lost, then you found him. I remember my angst when Marshmallow got lost, he was gone 10 days, then just returned! I think he went looking for his former home, then realized he couldn't find it and came back to us.

I have some pictures to post, but can't figure it out, will have dh help when he comes home.

We buried him in the backyard, and will plant a rosebush on his grave when it settles. This weekend is to mourn, then, life goes on!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
I am so sorry to hear he's gone.

Think of him being healthy and young again, playing and waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I'm sorry for your loss. He's now at the Rainbow Bridge playing with other cats.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Here are some pictures of Marshmellow
[img=http://s1.postimage.org/4mk70gxnv/IMG_1377.jpg]

[

Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Here are some pictures of Marshmellow
[img=http://s1.postimage.org/4mk70gxnv/IMG_1377.jpg]

pic upload

Here's some of my better pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have any that show his beautiful tail proudly waiving. I might find some in another file, but for now, I wanted to share some pic of my beautiful boy. In some of the pic he was shaved, because he had so many matts when we first got him. However, his coat grew back, at its longest it was 3.5 inches in places. You can see the Maine Coon, the long fur, the bushy tail, pointed, tuffed ears, tuffed feet, the "pants" on his legs, the "sorta' M on his forehead. RIP, my baby!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM

In looking at the pictures, I realize he was older than we realized. He just always seemed so happy around us, we took his age to be younger. Well, I guess it was his time, as we all have!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
What a beautiful boy he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats