Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor in my street trapping cats and then calling animal control to get them. Who knows what happens after that...Some of these cats belong to some neighbors...they may not have collars, but they still belong to some people. Is there something we could do to make this stop? This person is somewhat insane, older in age and has pissed off many neighbors already about this. They keep food inside traps to attract the animals and then trap them. All we can prove is that they have traps, cannot prove what they do afterwards. Plus, did I mention the person has pissed off many neighbors? I doubt that a rational conversation will go anywhere. We live in an urban area...some trees on neighbors yards, etc. Other than domesticated pets I have seen occassional opposum but no other animals that would warrant having animal traps 24hrs a day.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If the traps are on their private property and they are folowing accepted human standards of turning the trapped cats over to the proper animal welfare authorities, that person is 100% within their legal rights to trap every cat that enters their property, stray or owned.

If you read through the thousands of post on this subject you will read over and over again from people who love cats that the proper and humane action for dealing with unwanted cats is to trap them and turn them over to the authouraties.

Unfortunetely, if the cat is on their property they can trap to their hearts content and there is little if anything that can be done if they are following accepted animal welfare standard, PERIOD!

If people don;t want the cats trapped, they need to take them in and care for them so they are not wondering willy-nilly on other people's property. If the cats are owned, the owner should have kept the cat on their own property.

be thankful that's all the person is doing because more and more areas are contemplating allowing stray cats without identifiaction to be labels nusinsce pest and that opens other options up to private property owners.

I would not recommend entering (criminal trespass) onto that person property to interfere with his lawful rights as that makes you nothing but a low life criminal. Any suggestion that doing so is remotely acceptable shows a gross disregard for the law and other peoples rights. If you don;t like it, find a violation of animal cruielty, welfare, or negligence laws and pursue that avenue, but to vbexome a criminal and infringe on that persons private property rights by criminally tressapassing is nothing but stupid.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The neighbor may be "100% within [his/her] legal rights" to do so, but to trap the neighbors' cats in order to turn them over to animal control is certainly ethically wrong. In other words, it stinks.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Seems to me that this would be an incentive for those neighbors to put collars on their cats. And maybe keep their cats from roaming the neighborhood and getting into the guys yard.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
x2
Leash laws extend to cats also.

And shame to those who would vandalize and or steal someones property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If the traps are on their private property and they are folowing accepted human standards of turning the trapped cats over to the proper animal welfare authorities, that person is 100% within their legal rights to trap every cat that enters their property, stray or owned.

If you read through the thousands of post on this subject you will read over and over again from people who love cats that the proper and humane action for dealing with unwanted cats is to trap them and turn them over to the authouraties.

Unfortunetely, if the cat is on their property they can trap to their hearts content and there is little if anything that can be done if they are following accepted animal welfare standard, PERIOD!

If people don;t want the cats trapped, they need to take them in and care for them so they are not wondering willy-nilly on other people's property. If the cats are owned, the owner should have kept the cat on their own property.

be thankful that's all the person is doing because more and more areas are contemplating allowing stray cats without identifiaction to be labels nusinsce pest and that opens other options up to private property owners.

I would not recommend entering (criminal trespass) onto that person property to interfere with his lawful rights as that makes you nothing but a low life criminal. Any suggestion that doing so is remotely acceptable shows a gross disregard for the law and other peoples rights. If you don;t like it, find a violation of animal cruielty, welfare, or negligence laws and pursue that avenue, but to vbexome a criminal and infringe on that persons private property rights by criminally tressapassing is nothing but stupid.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
We have a neighbor in my street trapping cats and then calling animal control to get them. Who knows what happens after that..
Why doesn't anyone know what happens after? Any animal control that I know of has to hold an animal for 3 days before either putting it up for adoption or euthanizing it. If someone's cat is missing for any length of time they should be contacting local agencies and looking for it. Not saying this person isn't probably a creep, but are you saying people are just accepting the fact that their cat has disappeared? This is one reason I don't let my cats wander outside.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
IF they are using live traps they likely got them from the Anamal Control office .. so guess what .. They deem the strays and roaming cats a problem .. and do supply the needed traps... end of story.
I love cats .. BUT because I am just now seeing a dent in the local ferals in my area .. I cant honestly say the trapping is wrong.
You don't want to lose your cat keep it in the house ..

Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Trapping is illegal most everywhere.
The above statement is 100% false and should be ignored.

Use of Humane Animal Traps for trapping cats on private property is legal in all 50 states.

It is the recommended and accepted standard by just about every animal welfare organization. Many local animal welfare organizations have and will loan people these traps (at no charge) to humanily trap stray cats.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
In other words, it stinks.
I have to agree with you that it stinks! That person shouldn;t have to waste his time trapping cats because some stuckup cat owner thinks their cvat has the right to go trample all over other peoples property. It stinks that those cat owners are so irresponsbile that they put their cats in harms way by letting it stray wherever it wants to go. It stinks that they are no thanking this person for at lease capturing the cats and turning it over to A/C instead of a worst outcome the cat could end up in. Yes, it stinks that cat owners feel their animal has some superior rights over other people's property. I hope animal control is charging theose cat owners a small fortune to retreive their pets as a lesson in proper responsible ownership.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times
Thanks for your comments. I have seen the animal control truck just once. I heard a few rumors that one time the owner was riding a bike carrying a plastic bag in the direction of a dumpster... Who does that? Also these people own a dog and I've heard the sometimes throw rock when he's barking. These people are cruel. I agree that owners need to pay more attention to their animals. I had an indoor cat and one night we were moving things inside when he took a chance and escaped... Never saw him again (presumably this neighbor took him away, but at the time I was new to the neighborhood and didn't know about the traps).
Where I live there is an ordinance for dogs but none for cats.

Thanks everyone for proving comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.