Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So you're advocating trespassing, AND theft. There are better ways to deal with problems than by breaking the law.
You missed the point. cat lovers are the most vocal advocates of obeyoingt he law when it comes to the cats, but obeying and acting as a rational citizen does not apply to them. You and I must obey the laws but obeyiong the laws applys to everyone else but them.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Your city or county may not have a law but the state of TEXAS does.
I think i might have gotten the same person Houston2010 spoke to because they said they got another calls like this. So here's the scope and this is based on me asking more probing qyuestions and not just asking "is there a leash law in Houston for cats".

Both Houston and the State have a law that makes it a violation to have an owned cat wondering without the control of the owner. The cat does not have to have a physical lease on it, but the owner must be in positive control of that cat. If the owner is not in control of the cat, they have violated both the city and state laws, and that cat is considered a stray subject to all rules pertaining to strays. Texas does not have a collar law that sets rules for cats with collars/ids versus those without. If the cat is off its property, not under the control of the owner, its fair game like all other strays. So there is no leash requirement but their is a control requirment (or as the person agreed, its really an invisible leash law) for ALL cats in Texas.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. stay on topic please. Do not discuss other members or their previous posts.

We are all here to help each other. Do not attack anyone or recommend they do something that could get them in trouble with the law.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Question for those who oppose trapping: How would you prefer people deal with cats on their property? I don't think "oh, it's just a cat, get over it" is a useful response. People have many reasons for prefering others keep their animals on their property and under their control. It seems like the majority of cat owners keep their cats indoors. For those of you who do not, what are your solutions to the problem?

Last edited by UNC4Me; 10-04-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Anyone who truly loves & cares for their cat, will keep them indoors. Why risk them being hit by a car, killed by a dog or trapped? Why should a cat owner be treated any different than a dog owner? Why should a non-cat owner, have to put up with the bad parts of owning a cat? I just lost 2 window screens from my neighbors cat. When I cook, he smells the food and tries to "break-in". lol

When my mom was 81, she had a unresposible cat owner next door. This woman never had her cats indoors or fixed. The numbers grew to around 20. Not only did they come in moms yard to poo & beat up moms old cats, but they started attacking my mom while she tried to feed her own kittys. And you wont believe it, but moms 3 girls never left the yard, and I mean never! Thats the only way I can agree with them living outdoors, and I still dont like it cause of weather & other cats. But in moms defence, she didnt go & get her cats, they were strays that just stayed, and my dad would never let her have them indoors.

Bottom line, if you have a pet its up to you to take care of it. It should never become a problem for your neighbors. I have 2 dogs that have never been loose to go & bug anyone here. Plus,I want them safe and that can only be done in my care, not running loose.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
P.S.

Op, have you ever tried to ask the trapping neighbor why they are doing that? Maybe the cats are causing them a lot of problems. Some elderly are scared to walk with a cat moving about their feet, as a fall is a huge fear for them. My mom had to shuffle just to walk in her own backyard, she was terrified of falling.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
In most areas, if were not for outside cats, your properties would be over run by rodents. In my close in suburban location there are something like 250 rodents per acre. Thanks to the outside cats and feral cats. All I can say is I sure prefer cats to rats. And, trapping domestic cats in my area is a theft offense, punishable by jail time. Just like swiping the neighbor kid's bike just because he left it on your lawn. No difference at all really.

Last edited by Wilson513; 10-04-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

To everyone,
I just spent the last hour reading all 50 state laws on trapping cats and I was unable to find one that made it illegal to humainly trap stray cats and turn them over to the proper animal control agency. There may be some local law about his but overall, every state in the US appears to acknowledge that the humane trapping and turning over to the proper animal control is acceptable.

If anyone knows of a state wher it is illegal, please post that state so I can recheck.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Question for those who oppose trapping: How would you prefer people deal with cats on their property?
Cats and all pets are considered personal property. My cat is my property; to trap and remove it when ownership can be established is theft, and has legal consequences.

Cats that are not owned usually are considered the property of the landowner upon whose land they exist.

If my cat is on your property, you can ask me to keep the cat indoors. You can trap it and bring it home. You can call me every name in the book and fail to invite me to your Christmas party. But you cannot willfully trap my cat and surrender it to a shelter as long as you are aware that the cat is owned (established by collar, description, chip, etc.). My cat is not yours to surrender.

If a feral cat is on your property, and ownership cannot be established, you can trap it and take it to a shelter if that makes your day.

Of course, the humane thing to do is to trap, neuter and release.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
In most areas, if were not for outside cats, your properties would be over run by rodents. In my close in suburban location there are something like 250 rodents per acre. Thanks to the outside cats and feral cats. All I can say is I sure prefer cats to rats. And, trapping domestic cats in my area is a theft offense, punishable by jail time. Just like swiping the neighbor kids bike because he left it on your lawn. No difference at all really. I'd like to see a cat trapper in handcuffs.
Interesting response, but it didn't address my question. What is your solution to insure that those who prefer cats stay off their properties are not bothered by cats? Previous posters have mentioned property damage, threat of disease, elderly being tripped and the smells of cat feces/urine as problems they have encountered due to cats roaming freely.

Do you have any ideas or are you an advocate for allowing cats to go where they'd like without consideration for peoples very real concerns?

Last edited by UNC4Me; 10-04-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats