Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times

Advertisements

ok I love animals, my husband and daughter love animals. We have animals; right now one cat and one dog. I would have more if I could house them all!!! We keep our animals indoors...........bottom line-indoors. Dog goes outside into our fenced yard for exercise and to do her business...the cat has never been outside. It is my responsibility as a cat owner to make sure she remains inside,safe,secure and NOT in someone else's yard!
My neighbor, whose yard backs up to my FENCED yard has 2 cats that love my yard, love to poop in my yard and hang out in my yard underneath our bird feeders--waiting to pounce. I'm tired of it. We clean up our dog's poop each and everytime she goes; so to have cat crap in my yard bugs the hell out of me. To have cats sit in wait for birds I'm feeding bugs the hell out of me.
Cat lovers--suggestion?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Have you talked to your neighbor? If your neighbors are like mine it won't help, but it is a starting point.

Are there leash laws in your area? If so, call animal control and report "cats at large". Most people when faced with a fine will keep their critters under control.

Another option is one of these babies Amazon.com: Havahart Spray Away Motion Activated Water Repellent #5265: Home Improvement It is a motion activated lawn sprinkler. It sprays for about 3 seconds. Most cats don't really care for water and will quickly learn to stay away.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
ok I love animals, my husband and daughter love animals. We have animals; right now one cat and one dog. I would have more if I could house them all!!! We keep our animals indoors...........bottom line-indoors. Dog goes outside into our fenced yard for exercise and to do her business...the cat has never been outside. It is my responsibility as a cat owner to make sure she remains inside,safe,secure and NOT in someone else's yard!
My neighbor, whose yard backs up to my FENCED yard has 2 cats that love my yard, love to poop in my yard and hang out in my yard underneath our bird feeders--waiting to pounce. I'm tired of it. We clean up our dog's poop each and everytime she goes; so to have cat crap in my yard bugs the hell out of me. To have cats sit in wait for birds I'm feeding bugs the hell out of me.
Cat lovers--suggestion?
I have a similiar issue too with the place we just moved to but it's not just their cats...it's their 2 dogs as well! They just let them out to roam..no fence! I take my cats out for walks in the yard in the spring and summer months... at least I did at the old place. I'm thinking of putting up a 6-foot fence but I'm wondering if that's high enough to keep the neighbor's cats out? Mine are well trained and stay close by during their walks. I have a feeling we won't be able to take them out anymore

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
hmm, not much to be done but ask your neibors to keep them home. Unfortunatly ouside cats go where they will and it's next to impossible to keep them in a yard. They are very recoursful in getting out and wandering. We have a fleet of barn cats (thanks to a "nice" neibor that moved out in the middle of the night and the dumpers that drive out from the city. Sigh...cats can be a serious curse. About all you can do to keep them out is make your yard uninviting. A dog that chases them usually works but that can end badly for the cat sometimes. You have my sympathy

Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I think you have to pick your battles with people and neighbors.

In my humble opinion, there's always going to be cats roaming around outdoors whether they belong to a neighbor or they are some poor strays. Cats are independent little animals, and no matter how much we wish everyone kept their cats indoors, it ain't gonna happen.

Personally, I would prefer a cats over loud out-of-control teenagers with fast cars spinning around the block or late night parties.

If it were me, I'd just get some type of bird feeder that the cats can't get to. Try not to let it get to you! Life is too short!!

Hugs,

Woofers

Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
LOL Woofers!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

117 posts, read 334,475 times
Wait a minute. I don't get it: why would you care if your neighbor's cats are in your yard? What harm can they do? They're sweet cats. I'd just enjoy looking at them. How much cat poop can they produce, anyway.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
typical response I expected.......so not surprised!!! Disappointed though that certain pet owners feel no responsibility and use excuses for their neglect.
Yea life is too short to worry about some things. It's not gonna shorten my life that much though to be annoyed but roaming cats shorten the lives of innocent birds and might shorten their own lives if non-animal lovers get fed up with cat s**t in their yard, cat paw prints on their cars,etc..........
whatever! I'll call animal control. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
Wait a minute. I don't get it: why would you care if your neighbor's cats are in your yard? What harm can they do? They're sweet cats. I'd just enjoy looking at them. How much cat poop can they produce, anyway.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Try talking to your neighbors first, and go from there. But if there are no laws in your community preventing cats from running free, animal control isn't going to give you the time of day, and rightly so.

At the very least, I guess, you could fling the cat poo back over the fence. But you gotta make sure it's your neighbor's cats' poo. There could be other cats roaming around you don't see.

Also, what kind of bird feeder do you have? A platform feeder will prevent the birds from flinging as much seed on the ground compared to other feeders; this might keep the birds from feeding on the ground and becoming a fair target for the wandering kitties.

Woof is right, you gotta pick your battles. I have not forgiven my nasty next-door neighbors for repeatedly threatening to kill (drown, poison, you name it) my cats when they were still living outdoors (they were abandoned and wouldn't let us near them for a month or so; they finally allowed us to lure them into the house), even though they knew we were trying our best to bring them indoors where it was safe. Be kind but firm if you talk to your neighbors -- after all, you said yourself you're an animal lover -- but if they're not as sympathetic as you like, then what are you going to do?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At the very least, I guess, you could fling the cat poo back over the fence.
I think this is the best advice! Considering if you try and talk to your neighbor, it probably won't get you anywhere. Cats are hard to control and if she has "outdoor" cats, well, even if you put up a fence they will still find a way over to your yard, especially if you have a bird feeder.

I feel for you, I do. I have indoor cats and this would annoy me.

I say, fling the poop over the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats