Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM

52 posts, read 412,873 times

Advertisements

Well, "American" in the sense that it was purchased here! We bought a 2009 Murano earlier this year, before we had any intention of moving back to Canada so soon, but now it seems like we'll be moving back as early as August of this year!

Conundrum, however - what to do with the car? We paid around $27k for it and so I imagine it's worth, what, $20k US now? And from what I understand from the government's website, we are tax and duty free for the first $10k, and then we have to pay tax and duty on whatever they assess us on over that $10k? Does anyone have any insight into how that process works? Do they use some kind of book to find out book value? What exactly would the tax and duty amount to?

Ugh, I'm wondering if I should just sell this car and get something new in Canada, but I'm sure we'd take a stupid hit on it - not worth it, right!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
As someone who's done it twice, I can tell you it's not a simple thing but it can be done. You may want to check the price difference between a new (or barely used) Murano in Canada and what you paid in the US. My guess is the car either cost the same thing, or less, in the US, so you're probably better off importing it.

This website has the basic info to help you out. Basically you need to export the car out of the US (which has its own set of requirements), then you need to import it into Canada (2nd set of requirements), then you need to get plates/register it in a province (3rd set of requirements -- these obviously differ from one province to another).

Export car out of the US, you need:
- Title (in some states, means you can't have a lien registered on the vehicle otherwise you won't get it; in other states, you may have the title but also need a letter from the lienholder saying they let you move to Canada)
- Send the original title to the CBP center you'll be crossing the border at. They need to get it 72 hours before you cross. Call to make sure they get it.
- Bring bill of sale as well, though we didn't need it last time. Make sure VIN on title and bill of sale matches what's in the car.
- Get there, show the car and ID, they stamp the title and give it back to you, that's it. No cost.

Import car to Canada, you need:
- Stamped title
- Recall clearance letter from Nissan USA (with VIN)
- Make sure vehicle can be imported at www.riv.ca.
- Show up at border, you can then pay the (IIRC) CDN$195 RIV fee, along with 5% GST on assessed value, which will either be the price you paid minus 10,000 or blue book value minus 10,000 (not sure how much leeway border guards have there). You may also have to pay 6.1% duty if the car was made outside North America, if the guards think about it (didn't happen last time with our Japan-built Mazda). You may also have to pay other taxes (CDN$100 if your car has A/C, more if it's not fuel-efficient enough)
- They'll give you a stamped Vehicle Import Form 1. 10 days later they'll send you a Form 2 through regular mail. Take both, along with title, recall clearance letter, bill of sale to a Canadian Tire for federal inspection. That part is supposed to be free, but they'll tell you if you need to have anything done on your car to pass inspection (including safety stuff, automatic day lights, and other Canada DOT things)
- If you pass federal inspection, that's it, you car is imported. They'll give you a stamped form 2 back.

Registration, every province is different but roughly:
- Take the car to a mechanic for provincial inspection (some provinces including Quebec have a rather short list of authorized mechanics for that). They'll basically do much of the same stuff as federal inspection did but may charge you for that (Quebec = $100). They'll give you a stamped form.
- Go to a provincial DOT office to register you car. You need everything you got along the way. You may need to pay PST on the assessed federal value as well, along with any 'regular' registration costs.

So basically, (all $CDN)
Sure costs = RIV fee ($195) + GST (5% over $10,000) + provincial inspection + regular registration fee
Possible costs = PST + any changes needed to comply to Canadian standards + 6.1% duty for cars built out of NA.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

52 posts, read 412,873 times
Wow - this is so helpful! Thank you so much for writing all this out! It was totally making my head hurt.

I didn't even *think* about possibly having to pay PST on it as well. Doh! We're moving to Ontario so that's a very real concern. I will definitely look into that as well.

Again, thanks so much!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
No problem -- as with many other things where regular employees need to take care of unusual operations, there was a very arbitrary feel throughout the whole thing (except at the US CBP). I wasn't charged the 6.1% duty fee when I'm almost sure I should have (not complaining), and wasn't charged PST either when I probably should have as well.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanUnit View Post
Wow - this is so helpful! Thank you so much for writing all this out! It was totally making my head hurt.

I didn't even *think* about possibly having to pay PST on it as well. Doh! We're moving to Ontario so that's a very real concern. I will definitely look into that as well.

Again, thanks so much!
Was your Nissan built in Canada, Mexico or the US by any chance? If so it should be duty free - but I would double check. I was shocked that my Saab (built in Sweden) was considered a NAFTA vehicle (Saab was still part of GM then) and it was duty free! I was a US resident moving to Canada so that may have been the reason.

Only thing I should add is check the hours of the US customs location where you will be exporting the vehicle. I crossed in Lewiston, NY and they are open only Monday-Friday and from 9-5 for car exports. Also you had to fax the title a few days prior to export. It was simple once I was there.. they looked out the window to see that my car was in the lot and put a stamp on the US title then I crossed into Canada. The $195 RIV fee includes the federal inspection and once you pass inspection, the sticker that you put on your door frame that certifies your car is Canadian compliant. Also, Canadian Tire did both the federal and provincial inspection for me (Ontario) so I just took the paperwork to Motor Vehicles to get my "Yours to Discover" plates -- yuck, ugliest plates in Canada, IMO.. LOL..

Oh... WELCOME HOME!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you were a legal resident in the USA and are now moving back to Canada you are allowed to bring back your personal possessions and that includes the car, might require some paper work but going to a Canadian customs site and explaining the situation should straighten things out.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I am a Canadian living in the US and just bought a new(er) car here. I did lots of research as I may bring it back to Canada.

Apparently if the serial number starts with a 'J' then it was built outside N. America and is subject to more expenses when importing. One vehicle I looked at, a certain Nissan Maxima, didn't even qualify for import due to a seat belt issue however the brand new ones did.

Most American cars require the installation of running lights which can add up depending of the vehicle.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I have spoken to customs brokers who specialize in automobiles and this is not the case for a car, unless there is something they know nothing about...please give us a link on where to find this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you were a legal resident in the USA and are now moving back to Canada you are allowed to bring back your personal possessions and that includes the car, might require some paper work but going to a Canadian customs site and explaining the situation should straighten things out.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 PM

75 posts, read 574,876 times
Well I did the exact same thing two years ago. I imported my then 2007 Nissan Murano into Canada after living in the US for a while. Because ALL Muranos are built outside the US (Japan), you will pay duty over $10K. They will open the books on its Canadian value and I paid tax on about $16k extra (I think at 8% rate). The good thing is since you owned the car in the US, you will not pay any provincial sales taxes (if you are re-establishing residency). You will pay a transport canada import fee of about $270 to handle your vehicle specifications inspections. You will also need to modifiy the fog lights (warning-don't touch the expensive halogin headlights) to meet the daytime running lights requirements (~$360). Provincial vehicle registration at tabs (~$180). Thats it. Enjoy your ride! Oh yes your vehicle insurance rates will double in AB, ON and BC!

PS: Call Nissan USA to mail, email or fax a recall letter to you. And your 2009 Murano will go up about $8K in Value in Canada.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I have spoken to customs brokers who specialize in automobiles and this is not the case for a car, unless there is something they know nothing about...please give us a link on where to find this info.
When i emigrated to the USA some years ago (1985) i returned to Canada after 1 year and was told by customs at that time that i was allowed to bring back all personal possessions including my bought in the USA and Made in the USA car,.
Seems times may have changed a little in the amount of bureaucracy you may have to comply with but you are still allowed to bring back personal effects including cars, heres a site that may lead to some answers.. answers.Canadian Customs And Immigration - The Essential Information Resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada