Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:09 PM

34 posts, read 38,943 times

Advertisements

So the plot thickens...

Talked to my car loan company and they won't allow me to cross border with my car. I could pay the balance but I wouldn't get the title in time. Unless I refinance with another bank but not sure if they would issue a new title (quicker) or ask the previous lander to send them the old one (no advantage)

Does anyone know if I could cross the border without importing it (not mentioning that I'm moving permanently to Canada especially since I'm still technically on a H1-B visa) and then come back to import it once I have the title? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,909 times
No lender will let you export the car.

A 2015 A3 in Montreal retails for less than $25k US. I got $23k US on a 2013 pathfinder I traded into our Nissan dealer for cash.

Now add in taxes, fees, modifications on top of that, it'll get you a nice chunk of Canadian money you can spend on a car with Canadian specs and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,088,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post

Now add in taxes, fees, modifications on top of that, it'll get you a nice chunk of Canadian money you can spend on a car with Canadian specs and save yourself a lot of headaches.
That's a really good point.

I exported/imported (I feel like the girl version of George Costanzo from Seinfeld now) my American-born car when I moved back to Canada from the U.S.

Just like when I brought my Canadian car to the U.S., every garage that I went/go to for standard maintenance told/tells me that my car is idling low/high, because they're not realizing that it was in KM (in the U.S.) or is in miles (in Canada). Even when I went to register the car here, the whole miles to kilometers conversion put them into a tizzy. They ended up registering it with the number of miles instead of doing the math.

I'm in the process of buying a new car. When I was talking with the dealer about the trade-in, I told him that it was an American-born Mazda, so it's in miles. He said that's going to knock money off the trade-in because he'll have to work harder to sell it to a Canadian buyer who is totally disinterested in having a car in miles instead of kilometers.

It's just a pain in the butt is what it is. In hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
No lender will let you export the car.

A 2015 A3 in Montreal retails for less than $25k US. I got $23k US on a 2013 pathfinder I traded into our Nissan dealer for cash.

I get what you're saying but my math was different:

A 2015 A3 in Montreal with 58 000K goes for 35 000$ according to Canadian Black Book

value in the US: 17-21K let's say 20K.

Bought it new at 33K and still have 7K to pay on it.

So basically, if I sell it I would end up with 13K US or 16K CAN, which will never buy me a car for this quality and low mileage in Canada.

Keeping it, even if I pay 2K of customs on it seems like a better investment.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's a really good point.

I exported/imported (I feel like the girl version of George Costanzo from Seinfeld now) my American-born car when I moved back to Canada from the U.S.

Just like when I brought my Canadian car to the U.S., every garage that I went/go to for standard maintenance told/tells me that my car is idling low/high, because they're not realizing that it was in KM (in the U.S.) or is in miles (in Canada). Even when I went to register the car here, the whole miles to kilometers conversion put them into a tizzy. They ended up registering it with the number of miles instead of doing the math.

I'm in the process of buying a new car. When I was talking with the dealer about the trade-in, I told him that it was an American-born Mazda, so it's in miles. He said that's going to knock money off the trade-in because he'll have to work harder to sell it to a Canadian buyer who is totally disinterested in having a car in miles instead of kilometers.

It's just a pain in the butt is what it is. In hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered.
What a mess indeed...My car as digital and analog values in both miles and km so I would not have to deal with that at least.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties66 View Post
What a mess indeed...My car as digital and analog values in both miles and km so I would not have to deal with that at least.
Oh, mine has both miles and KMs too, but the larger number (the outer part of the circle's display) is in miles, so that's what the mechanics look at and say that my idling is off.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, mine has both miles and KMs too, but the larger number (the outer part of the circle's display) is in miles, so that's what the mechanics look at and say that my idling is off.
Time for a new mechanic!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Time for a new mechanic!
Haha! It was in both countries, in multiple cities. They expect it to be in miles (or kilometers, depending on the country). They're not looking. As soon as they're told that it's the other, they're all "Ohhh! Okay."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada