Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 AM

207 posts, read 926,673 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to London, ON this summer with my family and would appreciate any general tips or advice about how to best make this transition. Additionally I would love to hear your thoughts about the following:
  • car insurance options for two vehicles we plan to bring
  • the best telephone service (including mobile) setup we should consider since most of our family and friends live in the U.S.
  • the best HD satellite/cable/net streaming options in Canada (since we will have to give up our U.S based HD Tivo and Netflix accounts)
  • the pros and cons of maintaining a U.S. address/P.O. Box
  • the best banking options for Americans living and working in Canada

Thanks!

Last edited by krock67; 03-14-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM

207 posts, read 749,013 times
I hope my answer hel you a little. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
I will be moving to London, ON this summer with my family and would appreciate any general tips or advice about how to best make this transition. Additionally I would love to hear your thoughts about the following:
You will pay more in Canada... alot more
  • the best telephone service (including mobile) setup we should consider since most of our family and friends live in the U.S.
Again you will have to pay more, not much competion in telecom market here.
  • the best HD satellite/cable/net streaming options in Canada (since we will have to give up our U.S based HD Tivo and Netflix accounts)
If i were you, i'll keep my US sat services and bring it over to Canada.
mostly pro, because you wll discover that buying stuf from the US is still cheaper and if you have a credit card with US address, it will only make thing easier.
    All 5 CND banks have US division i think.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM

45 posts, read 95,190 times
I've lived here 55 years and might be able to give you a few pointers about your questions:
1) Your car insurance, depending on your age and driving record, should be in the $1000 to $1500 per year range; but you'll find it's cheaper if the insur. comp. has an office in one of the small towns outside of London (eg. Belmont, Dorchester, Thamesford, Delaware).
2) Combine your telephone, cable, and internet into one package through Bell or Rogers and the cost should be around $200/month (much more than U.S.).
3) Some Canadians prefer credit unions to banks, because they offer the same services, are much more people-friendly, and you could even open a U.S.-dollar account.
If I may offer you a few pro's and con's about living in London:
PRO'S:
- a diverse, open-minded city that will let you do your thing.
- lots of ethnic restaurants.
- many multi-cultural festivals in the summer( no one misses Sun Fest, Victoria Park in mid-July).
- lots of parkland along the river.
- 60 minutes away from Michigan; 30-50 minutes away from Great Lakes.
CON'S:
- be prepared for extremely snowy winters with sometimes 7-10 overcast days in a row.
- few advance-green lights at intersections, no expressway, many red-light runners, and traffic congestion similar to Rome or Athens. But once you master driving here, you can drive anywhere in North America!
- if you ever have to call London Police, expect them to arrive in 30-60 minutes(or next day).
I hope I have been of some help to you. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM

701 posts, read 1,901,693 times
I agree with leavesfan
1) be prepared to pay 100% more with your car insurance
2) be prepared to pay 100% more for your phone service and less coverage/minutes (for example, if you set up you cellphone in London, basically you can only call London, otherwise it will be long distance). Just visit Rogers or Bell or whatever. They are equally bad and expensive anyway. Flip a coin to decide. ALSO: when the ad says it is a $30 plan, you will pay $50-60 instead because of all the hidden costs.
3) Keeping your US PO Box will enable to buy stuff for a much cheaper price, otherwise, don't see any difference
4) Many CA and US banks are partners. For example, you can draw cash of your BoA account from ScotiaBank ATMs for no extra charge.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,589,326 times
Health insurance? Make sure you are covered until the On hospital plan kicks in. Apply right away for a health card and I think you are covered in 4 weeks. Also if you buy a policy to cover you before that takes effect you will be suprised how cheap it is.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times

Bring proof of insurance for several years (call car insurance company)
Bring copies of your drivers record from your state DMV (for at least 3 years.. to as many years as you can). Google car insurance Ontario for a web site where you can compare insurance. I insured my Saab with RBC Insurance and I still paid more than back in NY!
Try MagicJack! Try not to commit to a 2 year contract. Find a pay as you go plan for the first month or two. I used Telus, was not impressed.
Not sure if Rogers is in London but I used them and they are reasonably priced, not sure if they have a streaming option.
I did as I bought things off ebay and needed a US address as I was looking for work in both sides of the border.
I personally had an HSBC Premier account and I got great service and help in establishing a CND account. But TD and other banks will have newcomer programmes.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Health insurance? Make sure you are covered until the On hospital plan kicks in. Apply right away for a health card and I think you are covered in 4 weeks. Also if you but a policy to cover you before that takes effect you will be suprised how cheep it is.
I bought BlueCross coverage for emergencies for the first 3 months until OHIP covered me. Very reasonable rates.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 AM

25 posts, read 163,341 times
Why in God's name would you want to move to Canada? Honestly...

Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecouture View Post
Don't believe everything you think. Honestly ....

Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,858,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecouture View Post
Why in God's name would you be so ignorant? Honestly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada