Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM

207 posts, read 927,101 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM

We have been in London, ON for about 4 months and are very happy with our decision to move here. The following are my updates in Bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
I will be moving to London, ON this summer with my family and would appreciate any general tips or advice about how to best make this transition. Additionally I would love to hear your thoughts about the following:
  • car insurance options for two vehicles we plan to bring
We haven’t selected a provider yet, but it will cost us an additional $120 per month for two cars over what we were paying in Florida.
  • the best telephone service (including mobile) setup we should consider since most of our family and friends live in the U.S.
We opted to keep our mobile phones with AT&T and added a Canadian Plan for a small flat fee. Additionally we got two MagicJack lines, with Canadian numbers ($30 per year each) that will forward all calls to our respective cell phones. Note that the forwarding function in MagicJack does not have to be connected to a computer after it has been activated; however, we do have one MagicJack dongle connected to a computer as a secondary call-only line, which makes unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada.
  • the best HD satellite/cable/net streaming options in Canada (since we will have to give up our U.S based HD Tivo and Netflix accounts)
We went with Bell TV HDPVR and are considering getting Apple TV with Netflix.
  • the pros and cons of maintaining a U.S. address/P.O. Box
We can find everything that we need and want here, so there is no immediate need to maintain a U.S. Address.
  • the best banking options for Americans living and working in Canada
We opened an account with TD Canada Trust and are using PayPal to transfer funds to some of our U.S. based accounts.Thanks!

Last edited by krock67; 10-20-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,555,110 times
Quote:
I will be moving to London, ON this summer with my family and would appreciate any general tips or advice about how to best make this transition. Additionally I would love to hear your thoughts about the following:
  • car insurance options for two vehicles we plan to bring
  • the best telephone service (including mobile) setup we should consider since most of our family and friends live in the U.S.
  • the best HD satellite/cable/net streaming options in Canada (since we will have to give up our U.S based HD Tivo and Netflix accounts)
  • the pros and cons of maintaining a U.S. address/P.O. Box
  • the best banking options for Americans living and working in Canada

Thanks!
I have no advise for you but I am jealous!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,599,302 times
Quote:
We have been in London, ON for about 4 months and are very happy with our decision to move here. The following are my updates in Bold:
Well welcome to Canada. I really hope you can look back in a couple of years and congratulate yourselves on making a great move. I do a lot of travelling in the USA and I can't believe the difference between the two countries. Things have just gotten really crazy down there and I don't see them getting better any time soon. I really hope they will though and I pray for America every day.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM

75 posts, read 335,257 times
It sounds like you have been quite successful. I don't know if they offer Canadian numbers, but you might want to look into Google Voice. It does exactly what you are doing with your Magic Jack, but it is free. I have a Google Voice number that forwards to any one of a dozen phones depending on the time / day of the week. It handles voicemail as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 AM

I initially looked into Google Voice, but the last time I checked they did not offer Canadian numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimSlade View Post
It sounds like you have been quite successful. I don't know if they offer Canadian numbers, but you might want to look into Google Voice. It does exactly what you are doing with your Magic Jack, but it is free. I have a Google Voice number that forwards to any one of a dozen phones depending on the time / day of the week. It handles voicemail as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,320,747 times
As a Canadian that moved the other way, Verizon has a great Canada/US plan with no roaming, and no long distance in either country.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM

661 posts, read 1,252,885 times
After a few months of our (Cdn) satellite TV did you save an American address so you can get DTV or Dish up here?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
After a few months of our (Cdn) satellite TV did you save an American address so you can get DTV or Dish up here?
Actually, I like Bell TV and especially some of the local channels & programming (Oasis HD, Treasure HD, Equator HD, etc...) I don't think you can get in the U.S. Couple this with Apple TV and what more do you need?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,320,747 times
Don't forget that iTunes is different in Canada compared to iTunes in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada