Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,964,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty187 View Post
Canada has is about as tolerant and advanced as a very white place in the US like Vermont. That state is known for boosting its tolerance but in reality it is an extremely white state. People there dont have to try hard to be tolerant because there is no group of blacks who make up 30% of the population. Canada is the same way. There is no big group that threatens white Canadians like blacks and hispanics do in the US so of course there are less incidents. You just dont see non-whites represented very well in politics or finance and I think there is more to it than them not working hard enough. There seems to be a white elite in Canada that controls everything and it is hard to become a member of them. Canada is very old school in this regard while the US is more of a free for all with immigrants making it big. Look at Indians and Asian immigrants in the US and compare them to Canada.
Well sure numbers count and Nat was right to point that out and there is no doubt that there is intolerance here but visible minorites in Politics in Canada, paticularly areas with large populations are increasingly becoming well represented, especially on the Provincial and Federal side of the political spectrum.. Take a look at GTA vis min representation on these levels. Municipal politics is admittedly laggard but you do realize the front runner in the Toronto mayoral race is an Asian woman right? Additionally, and yes she is white but Ontarians were the first populace in N.A to elect an open gay person as head of Government...Do we have our dirty laundry, sure we do but it is unfair in my book to characterize Canada as a bastion for intolorance and I do believe strongly that these racists, homophobes and the like are increasingly becoming a dying breed.

Factor as well that Toronto has alot more FOB's than a place like Boston so alot of our vis mins aren't that established.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-07-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

25 posts, read 24,303 times
BS is that map. A black guy is above me literally telling you his experiences. This the problem with Canada, you guys just dont get racism. You totally miss the mark and dont understand it. Its not about having a map of racist countries or telling yourself you are tolerant. If we dropped most Canadians off in Louisiana and had them live around a majority black populace their racism would become apparent.

Canadas "advantage" is having a very white populace where minorities are divided into little groups so none of them are big enough to pose a threat to white superiority. Hence there are less racial incidents and things appear to be good. But you guys never really look into how it is for those small minorities of blacks or Asians or Indians. The guy above you is telling you his experience and I think it is incredibly short-sighted to write his experience off.

I am a white man and I try to actually listen to my black countrymen and how racism affects them. I think this is how racism can be solved. As a white person we are very seperated from the experience of minorities and it is hard for us to see how things actually are for other people. We only see our little bubble. And in Canada people dont want to see outside their white bubble. It is more about claiming to be the least racist (as you have done with your map) rather than taking any real action. Canadians claim that there isnt a problem or that the problem has been solved. But there is a problem. Im a white guy and I believe that the key is to let blacks and other minorities talk about their grievances rather than ignoring it because it makes me uncomfortable. We have racism, I admit that and know it is real, and I want to solve it, not write it off because I dont like how it sounds!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Fusion/Natnasci,

I have tried to make it clear that my experiences are regional or city centric anywhere I have resided on this planet. With that said I am sharing my personal experiences as a black man who has lived on both sides of the border. I know its tough to listen to what I say at times, but having white folks tell me that my experiences are not valid is extremely annoying and also does nothing to improve the situation in the long run.

Also fusion, I am not sure if that comment about "working hard" was directed at me or not, but I surely hope not. Just because I speak out about the black experience does not mean I have used it as a crutch in my life. My siblings and I have professional titles, designations and Ivy League schools scattered throughout our resumes, in addition to two parents whom are successful business owners and were able to retire early as a result of that. Just because we were fortunate, does not instantly mean that we should ignore the state much of our community finds themselves in.
I know you work hard and it was absolutely not directed at you personally whatsoever.. Anyway, you think that it is easy being openly gay in the workplace or easy growing up gay even as a white -well it was/isn't... Let me tell you something, I've had a rock thrown at me by a bunch of homophobes and have had to deal with the pink ceiling for much of my adult life but things are changing Edward and let us look at a brighter future and collectively work hard in our personal lives and at work.. The new world of work is an ever more friendly place to anyone who has the grits to make it but if we give up we lose!

I'm not at all invalidating the hardsips blacks, gays or any other minority group faces but I say this in all honesty, these intolerant morons ARE becoming a thing of the past so as a Black or Gay Torontonians we can allow this to eat away or just accept that there are a minority group of morons who are a dying breed and easily in our lifetime they will practicably be a thing of the past.. in the next two decades 67 percent of Toronto will be vis min with a huge gay population to boot so intolerant rednecks will increasingly need to move farther away. Bye bye to them the wrting is on the wall.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-07-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well sure numbers count and Nat was right to point that out and there is no doubt that there is intolerance here but visible minorites in Politics in Canada, paticularly areas with large populations are increasingly becoming well represented, especially on the Provincial and Federal side of the political spectrum.. Take a look at GTA vis min representation on these levels. Municipal politics is admittedly laggard but you do realize the front runner in the Toronto mayoral race is an Asian woman right? Additionally, and yes she is white but Ontarians were the first populace in N.A to elect an open gay person as head of Government...Do we have our dirty laundry, sure we do but it is unfair in my book to characterize Canada as a bastion for intolorance and I do believe strongly that these racists, homophobes and the like are increasingly becoming a dying breed.

Factor as well that Toronto has alot more FOB's than a place like Boston.
Oh Ok Fusion good points. I dont mean to say Canada is a bastion of intolerance only that there are racial problems and thank you for being honest and admitting that. But in my experience I didnt see minorities as represented as what I was used to in the US. I am used to seeing influential black people (whether native American or immigrants) in positions of power and influence and It stood out to me in Canada that whitebread men had more of a clutch on everything. Black Americans even those born to African or Jamaican parents are my "people" as in they are truly Americans but in Canada blacks seemed to be regarded as foreign even if they were born there or or had Canadian grandparents. I think Canada could do better. Now in terms of homosexuals It appears to be very progressive and accommodating to that population at the state level. Many US states still dont have gay marriage.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,319,100 times
Quote:
BS is that map. A black guy is above me literally telling you his experiences. This the problem with Canada, you guys just dont get racism. You totally miss the mark and dont understand it. Its not about having a map of racist countries or telling yourself you are tolerant. If we dropped most Canadians off in Louisiana and had them live around a majority black populace their racism would become apparent.

Canadas "advantage" is having a very white populace where minorities are divided into little groups so none of them are big enough to pose a threat to white superiority. Hence there are less racial incidents and things appear to be good. But you guys never really look into how it is for those small minorities of blacks or Asians or Indians. The guy above you is telling you his experience and I think it is incredibly short-sighted to write his experience off.

I am a white man and I try to actually listen to my black countrymen and how racism affects them. I think this is how racism can be solved. As a white person we are very seperated from the experience of minorities and it is hard for us to see how things actually are for other people. We only see our little bubble. And in Canada people dont want to see outside their white bubble. It is more about claiming to be the least racist (as you have done with your map) rather than taking any real action. Canadians claim that there isnt a problem or that the problem has been solved. But there is a problem. Im a white guy and I believe that the key is to let blacks and other minorities talk about their grievances rather than ignoring it because it makes me uncomfortable. We have racism, I admit that and know it is real, and I want to solve it, not write it off because I dont like how it sounds!
+1

If I was religious I would yell out "Chuuurrrch!"

Seriously though, we need more folks like you that are willing to accept the fact that the only way you will get any understanding on a matter is to listen to people who have actually lived it. I try to do the same myself, it has served me well throughout life and can see you are the same.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Well im a white Canadian and there are plenty of open minded, tolerant white Canadians who would have no issue voting for or hiring a visible minority or a gay... As I mentioned before, in less than two decades 67 percent of the GTA will be visible minority and you already see and will increasingly see successful Blacks, gays, Asians you name it gaining prominence.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,319,100 times
Quote:
I know you work hard and it was absolutely not directed at you personally whatsoever.. Anyway, you think that it is easy being openly gay in the workplace or easy growing up gay even as a white -well it was/isn't... Let me tell you something, I've had a rock thrown at me by a bunch of homophobes and have had to deal with the pink ceiling for much of my adult life but things are changing Edward and let us look at a brighter future and collectively work hard in our personal lives and at work.. The new world of work is an ever more friendly place to anyone who has the grits to make it but if we give up we lose!

I'm not at all invalidating the hardsips blacks, gays or any other minority group faces but I say this in all honesty, these intolerant morons ARE becoming a thing of the past so as a Black or Gay Torontonians we can allow this to eat away or just accept that there are a minority group of morons who are a dying breed and easily in our lifetime they will practicably be a thing of the past.. in the next two decades 67 percent of Toronto will be vis min with a huge gay population to boot so intolerant rednecks will increasingly need to move farther away. Bye bye to them the wrting is on the wall.
Thank you for this post Fusion, and I understand that you get discrimination on a personal level yourself.

That is exactly why when my gay friends tell me about something that made them feel uncomfortable I sit and listen and respect their opinions as those who have lived this personally. I have NO way, nor will I ever understand how it is to be gay, same way you will never know how it is to be black. It is just your nature to to see things as positive, while I am a little more "militant" for lack of a better word. It does not make either of our approaches right or wrong, just different.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Wow Im sorry to hear that. That is really terrible. Kudos to you for keeping your head up!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,654,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Fusion/Natnasci,

I have tried to make it clear that my experiences are regional or city centric anywhere I have resided on this planet. With that said I am sharing my personal experiences as a black man who has lived on both sides of the border. I know its tough to listen to what I say at times, but having white folks tell me that my experiences are not valid is extremely annoying and also does nothing to improve the situation in the long run.

Also fusion, I am not sure if that comment about "working hard" was directed at me or not, but I surely hope not. Just because I speak out about the black experience does not mean I have used it as a crutch in my life. My siblings and I have professional titles, designations and Ivy League schools scattered throughout our resumes, in addition to two parents whom are successful business owners and were able to retire early as a result of that. Just because we were fortunate, does not instantly mean that we should ignore the state much of our community finds themselves in.
Then start using language that reflects that, instead of this

"Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As far as racism is concerned, it is still alive and well in Canada today. Ironically enough I have never been called a Ni**er in the US, but have been called that in Canada"

Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Oh Ok Fusion good points. I dont mean to say Canada is a bastion of intolerance only that there are racial problems and thank you for being honest and admitting that. But in my experience I didnt see minorities as represented as what I was used to in the US. I am used to seeing influential black people (whether native American or immigrants) in positions of power and influence and It stood out to me in Canada that whitebread men had more of a clutch on everything. Black Americans even those born to African or Jamaican parents are my "people" as in they are truly Americans but in Canada blacks seemed to be regarded as foreign even if they were born there or or had Canadian grandparents. I think Canada could do better. Now in terms of homosexuals It appears to be very progressive and accommodating to that population at the state level. Many US states still dont have gay marriage.
So we are tolerant of gays and we vote for Asian, Indian politicians yet for some reason we have increased intolerance towards blacks... Perhaps but I think it is more likely because Blacks are more well reflected in absolute and per cap terms in the U.S.. Even Calgary which I blv has been cited as the most 'racist' city in Canada has ele ted an Indian Mayor and Toronto looks set to elect An Asian Mayor...

I do think blacks as a group have made more strides in the U.S than Canada but I think its more to do with numbers as opposed to large scale intolerance to blacks.. Irregardless, intolerance of all kinds is dying here and I look forward to the day it is at an absolute min...Go to any High School in the GTA, particularly those with heavy diversity and the interaction is very encouraging - they don't have the baggage that even my generation had and im only 38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada