Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 16,002,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Canada doesn't have nearly as many technical level jobs on a per capita basis.
Anything in the manner of a source to back up the claim. Make sure it is a broad based and comprehensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,580,891 times
Quote:
It really doesn't matter what median incomes are. What matters is disposable income and local purchasing power. There is still a large gap between the US and Canada with the US considerably higher than Canada for both disposable income and local purchasing power.
And of course this, if indeed the case, factors into differing racial stereotypes exactly how?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/op...ream.html?_r=0

My goodness AFTER TAX median income is now higher in Canada along with the fact that health insurance has to be purchased with part of that after tax income in the U.S.

"American women are twice as likely to die as a result of pregnancy or childbirth as Canadian women."

"A recent O.E.C.D. report found that for people aged 16 to 24, Americans ranked last among rich countries in numeracy and technological proficiency."

“Equality of opportunity — the ‘American dream’ — has always been a cherished American ideal,” Joseph Stiglitz, the Nobel-winning economist at Columbia University, noted in a recent speech. “But data now show that this is a myth: America has become the advanced country not only with the highest level of inequality, but one of those with the least equality of opportunity.”

Now when do we get back to differing stereotypes along racial lines?

Last edited by BruSan; 07-21-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM

8,578 posts, read 8,600,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Can I ask you where you got the 85% number? The stats seem to disagree with you.

Learning - Educational Attainment / Indicators of Well-being in Canada

I guess reading isn't a trait that you have. My reference is to COLLEGE COMPLETION. That 54% mainly includes trade school CERTIFICATES!

How ever you look at it Canadians aren't too educated if completing college is a criteria for that. Indeed the much maligned black American is MORE likely to complete college than the average white Canadian.

Maybe because most Canadians don't complete college the difference between a trade school certificate and a college degree is beyond their comprehension.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I , I think undocumented immigrants being the problem it is in the U.S is fair game. .

It has already been established that the USA has a more open immigration policy. This also includes not running down people if they over stay their visitor's visas.

A cousin of mine visited Canada from Guyana. When she left Canada the airline misplaced her immigration form and so the authorities began to harass her relatives about her whereabouts, thinking that she hadn't left. She had to go to the Canadian consulate in Guyana to show them that she had left Canada.

There are 11 million undocumented people living in the USA. Many own their homes, some even their businesses. This is because the USA is a large country with a large under ground economy, so people can earn decent living, outside of the eyes of the authorities.

Not so in Canada.

Indeed the very fact that you bring it up reflects what seems to be a Canadian trait. Obsessing about what's happening in the USA before checking to see if Canada is any better.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I see alot of excuses and explanations regarding the inequality of blacks in the U.S but I'd like to see more action to address these problems for the avg black person in the U.S and Canada.. Be a good idea to help the millions and millions of Mexicans struggling as well while at it.

I see a Canadian trying to suggest that Canada doesn't have problems. So you want to compare two minorities who have faced severe multi generational racism and abuse, which has done damage to them. Compare black Americans with Indigenous people in Canada.

We already know which group is worse off.

The vast majority of blacks in Canada are immigrants or their kids/grandkids. They had to go through a very selective immigration process and so are as educated as white Canadians are, though FEWER of them have NO certificates, compared to white Canadians. Their education status has NOTHING to do with Canada, especially as there is evidence that some of their kids aren't being well served by the Canadians educational system.

Mexican immigrants who are LEGALLY in the USA aren't doing too badly, relative to the visible minorities, when we adjust for the fact that the vast majority did NOT even complete secondary school.

So let us review some stats. Median household incomes for white Americans are $54k. For Nigerians it is $57k (MORE THAN WHITES, no surprise given that they have 50% higher college completion rates). For Guyanese, and Barbadians it is $54k (THE SAME AS WHITES). For Jamaicans it is $50k, slightly below. This mainly due to the very high labor force participation rate of Caribbean women. For Mexicans it is $40k. For Asian Americans it is $68k.

Canada. Whites $52k, Asians $47k, blacks $40k. Note that in Canada blacks are just as educated as whites, and Asians more so yet they earn less. And before you pat yourself, understand that this is because Canada has strict immigration rules which make it hard for uneducated immigrants to go there.

The vast majority of Mexicans in the USA would NOT be allowed into Canada, as the vast majority didn't graduate high school. More Canadian hypocrisy!

Listen. Trying to argue that Canada doesn't have serious problems with its non white immigrants is clearly a futile battle.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Now when do we get back to differing stereotypes along racial lines?

Now because less educated blacks face institutional racial abuse in both societies, but black professionals are clearly better off in the USA.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 AM

126 posts, read 558,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Canada clearly has a huge issue with its immigrants, and indeed especially with its Asian immigrants, who are significantly better educated but yet earn less than whites. In the USA Asians have higher incomes, as they do in the UK BTW.

Just looking at the statistics that some one posted of the various groups in Canada I couldn't help but note that white Canadians don't seem to be that educated, with lower college completion levels than is the case for white Americans.

In fact black females in the USA now have a 20% college completion rate, which means that they are MORE educated than the average white Canadian (16% college completion rate). The much maligned black male group have college completion rates of 14%, almost on par with white Canadians. This is just to put this in perspective.

Yet despite the fact that white Canadians aren't more educated than blacks in Canada, and are considerably less educated then other visible minority groups, they earn considerably more.

What was also evident was that blacks were way over represented in semi skilled and unskilled jobs than their educational credentials compared to whites should indicate. MORE white Canadians than black Canadians have no certifications, but yet 57% of blacks vs.44% of whites were in these lower level occupations.

The excuse offered in the USA to explain the black white income/occupational gaps is the lower educational levels attained by blacks (18% college completion vs. 30% college completion for whites).

Clearly this excuse doesn't hold for Canada.

Now what is interesting about Canada is, even though there isn't the strong income inequality that we have in the USA, where top level professionals in industries like finance and technology outstrip other sectors. Also with black immigrants being significantly less educated relative to whites (West Indians with 20% college completion rates) the income gaps between black immigrants in the USA, and blacks in Canada (the vast majority being of immigrant stock) is about the same. In addition Canada blacks tend to be very Toronto focused, that city having the highest wages in Canada. Many black immigrants live in low wage states like FL.

It is way easier for me to explain why blacks of immigrant stock have lower earnings relative to whites in the USA. I am at a loss to explain that for Canada. Obvious race plays a role, though Canadians love to pretend as if it is a US problem, pretending as if the USA remains unchanged from 1964.
Very good post (as is your other long post two pages forward).

I have also suggested that the US actually compares favorably to Canada when it comes to the opportunities for social mobility for blacks. African Americans are handicapped by disadvantages that have accumulated over the course of their long oppressed history, and given the differences between the black populations in the two countries, the more appropriate comparison would be between black immigrants there and here. (Comparing Nova Scotia's longstanding black population with African Americans would also be appropriate.)

Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Now because less educated blacks face institutional racial abuse in both societies, but black professionals are clearly better off in the USA.
I agree 100% with all you have said. However you are really beating your head against a brick wall becuase you will never win the argument. These people have been brainwashed since birth that Canada is better than the US in everything and they don't have any problems. I was born and raised in Canada and lived there as an adult and it hasn't changed. That is one of the reasons why I am so happy that I don't live there.

BTW, ask the Canadians about their problems with the First Nations people or how about the folks they call Pakis.Yep, there is no racism in Canada.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
It has already been established that the USA has a more open immigration policy. This also includes not running down people if they over stay their visitor's visas.

A cousin of mine visited Canada from Guyana. When she left Canada the airline misplaced her immigration form and so the authorities began to harass her relatives about her whereabouts, thinking that she hadn't left. She had to go to the Canadian consulate in Guyana to show them that she had left Canada.

There are 11 million undocumented people living in the USA. Many own their homes, some even their businesses. This is because the USA is a large country with a large under ground economy, so people can earn decent living, outside of the eyes of the authorities.

Not so in Canada.

Indeed the very fact that you bring it up reflects what seems to be a Canadian trait. Obsessing about what's happening in the USA before checking to see if Canada is any better.
It looks very strongly to me that Canadians aren't the only people living in a fantasy that there is this notion of equality across the board in their perspective country.. Once the United States addresses its inequality across the board get back to me - you require a lot of time and have a lot of work to do so get cracking. If Canada does it before you we'll get back to ya...in the meantime, both countries have issues of racism and inequality - not just racial but gender so the quicker we get to real work on these things and the less finger pointing we do, the less we make excuses the better off both will be!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-22-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% with issues with inequalityll you have said. However you are really beating your head against a brick wall becuase you will never win the argument. These people have been brainwashed since birth that Canada is better than the US in everything and they don't have any problems. I was born and raised in Canada and lived there as an adult and it hasn't changed. That is one of the reasons why I am so happy that I don't live there.

BTW, ask the Canadians about their problems with the First Nations people or how about the folks they call Pakis.Yep, there is no racism in Canada.
Im not living in any denial that Canada has Inequality and I think any Canadian on here would admit to our issues and work needs to be done...As a matter of fact, I posted a link from 2006 with real labour market data proving this.. I would like to get my hands on more recent data.

Having said that, do you have any real evidence that minorities in Canada aren't moving closer to equality.. Its a slow process as it is in the U.S (which clearly has its own problems of racism and inequality which you'd sooner admit you were a pink flamingo before admitting you have your own issues).. So why don't you go out and make a real difference in the lives of countless young black men in the U.S dying in gangs and those living in poverty and despair. As a matter of fact hire a Mexican cleaner at one of countless hotels in California making next to nothing, help her move up in the world.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-22-2014 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada