Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM

58 posts, read 295,713 times

Advertisements

does anyone know of any places left in canada where one could find a decent home with land= ideally an acre or more for 300k or less

main issue is tempature
i am looking for summers to be 25 with days over 30
no snow before nov, later the better

i dont want to have to move to the states to find the temp/price i need but having a really hard time finding this, if it exists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,757,710 times
All sorts of areas meet those requirements, albianstar, including most of southern Ontario in areas 75+ miles away from the Greater Toronto Area.

I'm personally living in an area 100 miles away from Toronto, on Lake Ontario, and there are dozens of properties of an acre+ that are available for under 300K.

Have a gander at the Canadian MLS site:

mls.ca - Welcome

Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,237,888 times
That is odd...across the Lake it snows in October. And not just Lake effect.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:17 PM

cornerguy1
when does it snow there?
how cold does it get
what is the average summer like?

i have always thought the greater to area was expensive, and polluted
depending on the weather i may consider it there

i live in notheren alberta adn sadly havent been anywhere in canada but ab and bc
what areas
in ont are the wine orchards?
what is public school like around there?

so many questions i know LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,757,710 times
Actually, the 10-mile band along the northern shore of Lake Ontario rarely sees snow before the middle of November. The odds of a white Christmas in the area are roughly 50-50.

Lake effect snow is more a concern in the downwind areas at the eastern end of the lake, generally in the Oswego area of upper New York state. There are also lake effect shadows from Georgian Bay in the Orillia-Barrie area 60 miles north of Toronto. Those poor buggers get dumped on regularly.

On to your questions, albianstar:

1. You can expect the odd snow flurry starting from the first week of November. Snow that actually stays on the ground for any length of time is rare before December. Snow is almost always gone from the ground by the last week of March.

2. Temperatures in October are usually in the 10 C degree range during the day with night lows of 0 C to -5 C. January will get you daytime highs around -5 to -10 with nightly lows of -15 to -20. If you get a real cold snap you might see -25 for a couple of nights.

3. Summers in the area tend to be pretty warm with high humidity levels. July and August will see highs of 25 to 35 with relative humidity levels in the 70% range. September temperatures moderate a little, but you still get daytime highs of 20-25. The nights start to cool off with lows of 15.

4. The area within 100 kilometers of Toronto is fairly heavily populated. The GTA itself has the usual baggage of a big city: smog alerts, heavy traffic, high real estate prices. Once you get out of that 100 km band, land prices drop considerably, (except for waterfront), as does the population density. It's like 2 different worlds.

5. The major wine area in Ontario is the Niagara region west of Toronto. It's home to a number of different large wineries and many smaller operations. Land prices in the area are quite high, and the Niagara area, despite having relatively mild temps, gets lake effect snow from Lake Erie.

An emerging wine area is located about 160 km eat of Toronto in an area called Prince Edward County. PEC is a natural peninsula that juts out into Lake Ontario and is virtually surrounded by water. This moderates the temperatures enough that wineries are able to establish operations.

6. Public school is public school. LOL . The teachers complain about too many kids, low pay, etc., but somehow the system still manages to produce students who do well at various universities, and later, in careers.

Ontario recently instituted province-wide curriculum standards to ensure that all public-system students were receiving a uniform core curriculum. There is also province-wide testing of students in various grades to ensure the different school boards and schools are delivering the curriculum effectively.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 PM

thanks for the info
i guess beyond that i just have to go there and see for myself

Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,831,987 times
Quote:
1. You can expect the odd snow flurry starting from the first week of November. Snow that actually stays on the ground for any length of time is rare before December. Snow is almost always gone from the ground by the last week of March.
To further elaborate, we can see flurries as early as late September. Rumour has it that it snowed a few inches in late September in the 1940's in Toronto. Snow generally can't accumulate before mid November though. I've seen snow on the ground in early April from time to time.

Quote:
2. Temperatures in October are usually in the 10 C degree range during the day with night lows of 0 C to -5 C. January will get you daytime highs around -5 to -10 with nightly lows of -15 to -20. If you get a real cold snap you might see -25 for a couple of nights.
The averages for the wine regions you want are a little milder than that. Frosts are uncommon in late September. Hard frosts near impossible in October; ground stays soft. Around Mississauga October days typically range from 7-15 C, nights from 2-9 C. Many days with rain, few hours of sunshine.

Quote:
3. Summers in the area tend to be pretty warm with high humidity levels. July and August will see highs of 25 to 35 with relative humidity levels in the 70% range. September temperatures moderate a little, but you still get daytime highs of 20-25. The nights start to cool off with lows of 15.
Summers in most of southern Ontario are usually from the low 20's to low 30's C. Hottest months average 25-28 C. We can see the odd afternoon or two below 18 C even in July and this isn't unusual, as are a day or two above 35 C once in a while. I've seen midsummer overnight lows ranging from 6 C during a freak cold front to 30 C by sunrise, a freak heat wave and outdoors at night was like a hot steam room.

Quote:
5. The major wine area in Ontario is the Niagara region west of Toronto. It's home to a number of different large wineries and many smaller operations. Land prices in the area are quite high, and the Niagara area, despite having relatively mild temps, gets lake effect snow from Lake Erie.

An emerging wine area is located about 160 km eat of Toronto in an area called Prince Edward County. PEC is a natural peninsula that juts out into Lake Ontario and is virtually surrounded by water. This moderates the temperatures enough that wineries are able to establish operations.
The Niagara region is not west of Toronto, but you take westbound highways to get there. The western part the Niagara is 50-60 km southwest of Toronto and extends about 100 km to the east at the New York border. It is roughly south of Toronto.

Everything else is correct though. If you want milder winters and hotter summers southwestern Ontario is also a large mild region. Anywhere about 50 km west or south of London Ontario is in this area. You get cheaper land than in the Niagara and around Windsor and Chatham warmer temperatures from spring to fall. This is just a general farming area mixed with a few small cities and towns in between.

Summers are generally warmer anywhere south and/or west of Toronto.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM

thanks
its always nice to get other peoples opinion as everyone sees things differently and picks out things someone else may forget

Old 09-12-2007, 04:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,608,741 times
Places in Canada with combination of house on 1 acre under $ 300,000 and "mild" winters are southern Ontario....southern interior of BC ...and extreme southern Alberta .....in Ontario it would be Kent and Essex counties ....Chatham to Windsor ....in BC it would be places like ******** ...Lytton.....Lillooet ...and possibly Osoyoos /Keremoes/ Oliver area ...though price might be abit steep ....here are some weather normals from Environment Canada ...

CHATHAM, ONTARIO

JAN 0 / -7
FEB 1 / -6
MAR 6 / -2
APR 14 / 3
MAY 21 / 10
JUN 26 / 15
JUL 28 / 18
AUG 27 / 17
SEP 22 / 13
OCT 16 / 7
NOV 8 / 2
DEC 2 / -3

OSOYOOS, BC

JAN 1 / -5
FEB 5 / -3
MAR 12 / 0
APR 18 / 4
MAY 23 / 8
JUN 26 / 12
JUL 30 / 15
AUG 29 / 14
SEP 24 / 9
OCT 16 / 4
NOV 7 / 0
DEC 2 / -4

CARDSTON, ALBERTA

JAN 1 / -12
FEB 3 / -9
MAR 6 / -6
APR 12 / 0
MAY 17 / 3
JUN 21 / 7
JUL 25 / 10
AUG 24 / 9
SEP 19 / 5
OCT 14 / 1
NOV 5 / -7
DEC 1 / -11

Another bonus is none of these places gets much snow in winter ...if money is not an issue then BC west coast can be added to the list ...especially the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island ...also in Ontario you can add ...Toronto to Burlington to Milton triangle ...that area is almost as mild as southwest Ontario with surprisingly low snowfall....usually mild up until Christmas ....worst weather usually late winter Feb-March

Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albianstar View Post
i live in notheren alberta adn sadly havent been anywhere in canada but ab and bc
Where in northern Alberta?

I've worked in Ft. McMurray, Alberta from May to August this year. The weather there was almost the same as I'm accustomed to back at home in Ontario.

BTW If you want to know what southern Ontario heat and humidity is like, if you live around Ft. McMurray, our typical hot weather is just like what they had this year for 2-3 weeks around mid-late July.

One thing you will like, there are no SPRUCE/TAR SAND BEETLES in southern Ontario, that I know of.
(that's one freaky bug)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada