Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 PM

21 posts, read 51,545 times

Advertisements

Can an American open a bank account in Canada while maintaining a residence in the U.S. and NOT having a residence in Canada? And if so, is it a simple process? Also, when bringing money across the border (by car), do you have to declare after a certain amount of money? Do you need to pay taxes on it? Would they even check/know if I don't tell them?

Sorry about all the questions; I've never been out of this country (USA). And I've googled the answer to this, but (of course) came upon some conflicting answers, so I figured there's at least someone on this site who has actually done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 AM

984 posts, read 2,725,488 times
you must declare if you are bringing in more than $10,000. If you don't and they pick you for a full search. They can seize the money and give you some stiff penalties.

Not sure why you want a bank account without residency . Your US bank cards will work at any canadian atm.

Don't think you can open an account at a Canadian bank without proof of residency. You could try calling them. The big banks are TD, CIBC and Bank of Montreal.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM

475 posts, read 819,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjthedon11 View Post
Can an American open a bank account in Canada while maintaining a residence in the U.S. and NOT having a residence in Canada? And if so, is it a simple process? Also, when bringing money across the border (by car), do you have to declare after a certain amount of money? Do you need to pay taxes on it? Would they even check/know if I don't tell them?

Sorry about all the questions; I've never been out of this country (USA). And I've googled the answer to this, but (of course) came upon some conflicting answers, so I figured there's at least someone on this site who has actually done it.

Yes you can open an account..just make sure you have proper ID (passport)and as mentioned declare any large amount of cash you bring with you.

It's the same for Canadians opening accounts in the US.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,427,654 times

Banking In Canada And The U.S. - YouTube

Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,321,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Just as an aside, how completely bizarre that they had a francophone do the English commercial! I wonder what the thought was behind that? makes RBC seem more exotique non?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,080,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
This guy is talking about banking in the US. But the answer is yes, I had friends who opened non resident accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada